2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erichz said:
People are very pedantic on this forum when it comes to jumping all over those users using incorrect measurement units, calling EVSE "chargers," and the list goes on. It's quite similar to constantly pointing out incorrect spelling and comma splices in forum posts. Very douchey, and it doesn't help the image of Leaf owners, I gotta say.
Pointing out mistakes is not the problem - it is the way some people point out the mistakes. It is important to correct the mistakes - part of the learning process in adopting EVs.

evnow said:
Pointing out mistakes is not the problem - it is the way some people point out the mistakes. It is important to correct the mistakes - part of the learning process in adopting EVs.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree there. I really don't think it is important to point out the mistakes people make with terminology. I doubt anybody aside from pedants on this board will ever call it "EVSE" in casual conversation, and mistaking kW/h for kWh is not worth correcting.

erichz said:
evnow said:

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree there. I really don't think it is important to point out the mistakes people make with terminology. I doubt anybody aside from pedants on this board will ever call it "EVSE" in casual conversation, and mistaking kW/h for kWh is not worth correcting.
You're right, gallons and horsepower are interchangeable. Just some number of things. Everyone will understand what you're trying to say. Just leave off units, just makes the conversation too formal. My leaf has a 24 battery and 80 motor. Tesla is obviously better cause it has 85 whatevers unlike my 200 something minivan.

erichz said:
Very douchey, and it doesn't help the image of Leaf owners, I gotta say.
If you want to be pedantic, technically, it should be LEAF, not Leaf. LEAF is an acronym.

Berlino said:
Has pricing been released?
Typically not released these days until the last minute. I would not expect to hear anything concrete about the '14 LEAF until the month or so before it will be hitting dealer lots.

dm33 said:
Your right
You're, not your.

erichz said:
evnow said:

It IS important to understand the difference between an EVSE and an (on-board) charger, as they both are limiting factors in how quickly a vehicle can charge, besides other factors such as line voltage. Getting them wrong and/or misunderstanding could mean wasting money on the wrong EVSE, getting the wrong equipment level on an EV, or worse yet, buying the wrong car.

EVSEs for L1 and L2 charging don't alter the line voltage, don't alter the frequency, don't convert AC to DC nor do they have knowledge of the battery's SoC, temperature, cell voltages, etc.

FWIW, the wall wart AC adapters (some of which charge/help w/charging) I've seen at minimum alter the voltage (to a lower voltage) and most (but not all) convert the AC to DC. Some just output lower voltage AC.

drees said:
erichz said:
Very douchey, and it doesn't help the image of Leaf owners, I gotta say.
If you want to be pedantic, technically, it should be LEAF, not Leaf. LEAF is an acronym.
That's good to know. What does the acronym stand for?

Update: I found it, Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car.
dm33 said:
Your right
You're, not your.
Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

I suggested that we nickname the kWh after T. Edison, as an "edi".
But, few liked the idea.

Then, mpe is like mpg, and a 20-edi battery is analogous to
a 10-gallon tank. Edi is easier to say than kilowatt hours,
and Thomas really should have something named after him...
other than the train. :D

erichz said:
I doubt anybody aside from pedants on this board will ever call it "EVSE" in casual conversation, and mistaking kW/h for kWh is not worth correcting.
I don't support dumbing down of America - yes, we can agree to disagree on that.

But I suggest not calling anyone who disagrees with you a "pedant" - after all they aren't calling you ignoramus.

evnow said:
But I suggest not calling anyone who disagrees with you a "pedant" - after all they aren't calling you ignoramus.

I'm actually fine with those who want to use the "correct terminology," yourself included. But there's a way to correct terminology in a friendly way.

And I'm pretty certain you did just call me an ignoramus, something I've seen many members do to others here in tone, if not explicitly.

dm33 said:
erichz said:
evnow said:

You're right, gallons and horsepower are interchangeable. Just some number of things. Everyone will understand what you're trying to say. Just leave off units, just makes the conversation too formal. My leaf has a 24 battery and 80 motor. Tesla is obviously better cause it has 85 whatevers unlike my 200 something minivan.
Everybody in the world knows that by kW/h kWh was meant. This is not whatsoever akin to confusing gallons and horsepower. Using this incorrect argument I would argue that when you used the word cause instead of because you made your entire paragraph completely confusing and I had no idea if you meant cause as in causeway or cause as in short for because or if in fact you intended the word suffrage to be used. How can I know? After all, you were not strictly accurate. Except I did know, just as anybody reading kW/h knows kWh is intended.

dm33 said:
is really fast because it has a 10 gallon engine

Well, any muscle car guy would be quite comfortable expressing engine size in terms of displacement (i.e. volume). A 37.8 liter engine (10 gallons) would be quite fast indeed!

TonyWilliams said:
GetOffYourGas said:
... We might see 200 miles by the end of the decade. Or we might not without a price premium.

These grandiose plans fail to address the reality that the $7500 federal tax handout ends when they hit 200,000 cars, so the car will have to be $7500 cheaper to compete with all those pure compliance cars that won't sell 200,000 cars in a century.

Nissan is already about 20% of the way to 200,000, and at 30,000 per year, that's only 5 or 6 years away...

2018 - 2019

I hope you don't think that I have any such plans, or that I assume that Nissan does either. I'm merely guessing at what we might see from them.

While you make a very valid point, I guess it would be implied that the "same price" would be the same pre-rebate price. Also, your logic is a self-refuting fallacy. If Nissan will not be able to compete with all those pure compliance cars, then one of two things will happen - the compliance cars' sales will explode (and hit the 200,000 mark shortly thereafter), thus leveling the playing field. -OR - The compliance cars won't sell 200,000 in a century, like you said, and will be extremely supply limited (much like the Fit EV is today). In the latter case, Nissan won't have to compete because it will be the only car you can actually get.

donald said:
Another reason it'll be good if 200 mile range EVs do come onto the market is because it'll kill the resale values of second hand 100 mile range EVs!!!

The reason that's good is because 100 miles is proving enough for me (and, clearly, many others here) so we'll have more low-cost EV purchasing options in the future!!

Like the guy said at the 'funeral' service of the EV1: "They were right - electric cars are no good for everyone. They're useful to only 90% of the population!" The thing is, folks won't realise that until they actually try to live with one and realise they can after all, and so the struggle to sell EVs will continue.

I disagree with the quote as written. It should read, "They're useful to only 90% of the population that has two vehicles". You must have access to another vehicle for road trips, and everyone like road trips even if only one per month.

Back