2011 Demo Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clifsmith

I am finding that there are many dealers in Texas with multiple Leafs (SL models I am looking at) on their lots and I called about and all but 1 are considered "Demos" which they have had in inventory for at least 6 months. Are there any issues with buying one of these 2011 Demo's? I am finding most to have under 200 miles. They have just been holding them and using one as the "test drive" one, as it was explained to me. I am seeing discounts on these by as much as $2200. Do these even qualify for the Tax credit?

clifsmith said:
I am finding that there are many dealers in Texas with multiple Leafs (SL models I am looking at) on their lots and I called about and all but 1 are considered "Demos" which they have had in inventory for at least 6 months. Are there any issues with buying one of these 2011 Demo's? I am finding most to have under 200 miles. They have just been holding them and using one as the "test drive" one, as it was explained to me. I am seeing discounts on these by as much as $2200. Do these even qualify for the Tax credit?

I am not sure about the tax credit issue. Other than that, I'd certainly have no qualms about buying a demo.

clifsmith said:
Do these even qualify for the Tax credit?
If it hasn't previously been titled then technically it's a new car. But you'd need to ask if it's been titled and if the dealer has filed for the credit. It should be "yes" or "no" for both. You might also want to ask about leasing them. If a "demo" for $2000 less has a higher lease price than a non-demo for $2000 more then you'd know that something is amiss.

I would question each dealer as to what state of charge they normally keep their demo LEAF at. 100%? 80%? Less? I would not want to buy a lithium battery-powered EV that has been sitting at 100% charge or close to it for months, as that would actually be a violation of the car's warranty and could be expected to cause premature battery deterioration. If the dealer has normally been charging to 80%, then there should be no problem at all. (Charging to 100% and then driving it is just fine; it's leaving the car sitting continuously at a high state of charge that's non-ideal.)

I bought my Leaf as a demo. had more miles but got 1200 off, and the tax credit , Demo should still be a new untitled car. brought my lease payment to 290.00 monthly for 3 years. I was spending almost that much in gas a month in my other car. just make sure you see all the math and the numbers add up.

abasile said:
I would question each dealer as to what state of charge they normally keep their demo LEAF at. 100%? 80%? Less? I would not want to buy a lithium battery-powered EV that has been sitting at 100% charge or close to it for months, as that would actually be a violation of the car's warranty and could be expected to cause premature battery deterioration.

An excellent point and one that is unique to EVs. My observation is dealers often leave their cars "topped off" on the Aero Environment chargers they have on the lot. They don't have time to mess with timers (which is the only way to get 80%); besides, it wouldn't look very good if someone walked up to drive an EV and it was EMPTY. This would be my main worry with (older) Leafs.

mksE55 said:
I bought my Leaf as a demo. had more miles but got 1200 off, and the tax credit , Demo should still be a new untitled car. brought my lease payment to 290.00 monthly for 3 years.
That is a low number - how much did you put in at the beginning ?

I purchased a 2011 SL Demo from a dealer in Austin for $6000 less than the 2012s and I figured I will not need to use the cold weather package. I was concerned about battery longevity so I decided to lease and have the option of walking away in three years.

Last I looked there are 20+ 2011 and 2012 in inventory at the 4 dealers in the Austin area so there are plenty to choose from. I was surprised to see so many in stock in such an EV friendly city. Austin has a deal for unlimited charging at public stations for $25 for 6 months.

sn470 said:
I purchased a 2011 SL Demo from a dealer in Austin for $6000 less than the 2012s and I figured I will not need to use the cold weather package. I was concerned about battery longevity so I decided to lease and have the option of walking away in three years.

Last I looked there are 20+ 2011 and 2012 in inventory at the 4 dealers in the Austin area so there are plenty to choose from. I was surprised to see so many in stock in such an EV friendly city. Austin has a deal for unlimited charging at public stations for $25 for 6 months.

Congrats!! I got 2011 SL named Chili(red one) on 1/20/12 from Town North and my 85 year old dad was so impressed that he traded his paid off RX330 for a silver SL 2011 two weeks ago.

We are in the Cedar Park area, how about you?

Ian B

MrIanB said:
sn470 said:

I agree as soon as someone drives an EVs they cannot go back! My wife has already claimed it as hers. South Point Nissan says they will give me commission on any one I refer that purchases one. I hope you got the same offer. Sure is a great way to increase your sales.

We are in south Austin. I love number of EVSEs around town (I have one at work) and was thinking about going without one at home. We visited the Hill Country Galleria this weekend and I think I was the first charge on that station, then topped off at Central Market the next day. However, when I heard about the ChargePoint America free residential EVSE program I signed up and am awaiting my install.

Are you charging mostly at home or on the go?

MrIanB said:
Congrats!! I got 2011 SL named Chili(red one) on 1/20/12 from Town North
I got my black 2011 SV from Town North as well.
Your location is shown to be Cedar Park, so I don't know if the Austin Energy 50% EVSE rebate would apply for you or not. I got 50% off of the purchase and installation of my Schneider EVSE last year.
Also, be aware that you might not be able to take the 30% Fed income tax credit on the EVSE in the same year that you take your $7500 EV credit. Google for "alternative minimum tax site:mynissanleaf.com.
MrIanB said:
and my 85 year old dad was so impressed that he traded his paid off RX330 for a silver SL 2011 two weeks ago.
Was he at the Gateway Whole Foods this past Sat? I parked next to a silver SL; when I left it was still there:

You may also want to check out the "Austin LEAFs" Google group.

sn470 said:
MrIanB said:
sn470 said:

I agree as soon as someone drives an EVs they cannot go back! My wife has already claimed it as hers. South Point Nissan says they will give me commission on any one I refer that purchases one. I hope you got the same offer. Sure is a great way to increase your sales.

We are in south Austin. I love number of EVSEs around town (I have one at work) and was thinking about going without one at home. We visited the Hill Country Galleria this weekend and I think I was the first charge on that station, then topped off at Central Market the next day. However, when I heard about the ChargePoint America free residential EVSE program I signed up and am awaiting my install.

Are you charging mostly at home or on the go?

I work from home so I charge about every 3 days. My electric bill for the first month with the car was less than the previous month but, I am not complaining. It will be interesting this month's bill with both Leafs. Yes, I got $100 referral for having dad buy the Leaf from them. I sent my EVSE cable for the 240 upgrade and had a 240 outlet put in the garage. Total expense about $400 bucks. City of Austin has a $1,500 rebate for charge station at home. Check with them to see if they have "time of use" rates. Pedernales here in Cedar Park has no rebates but is working on a time of use rate in the coming months.

Ian B

aqn said:
MrIanB said:
Congrats!! I got 2011 SL named Chili(red one) on 1/20/12 from Town North
I got my black 2011 SV from Town North as well.
Your location is shown to be Cedar Park, so I don't know if the Austin Energy 50% EVSE rebate would apply for you or not. I got 50% off of the purchase and installation of my Schneider EVSE last year.
Also, be aware that you might not be able to take the 30% Fed income tax credit on the EVSE in the same year that you take your $7500 EV credit. Google for "alternative minimum tax site:mynissanleaf.com.
MrIanB said:
and my 85 year old dad was so impressed that he traded his paid off RX330 for a silver SL 2011 two weeks ago.
Was he at the Gateway Whole Foods this past Sat? I parked next to a silver SL; when I left it was still there:

You may also want to check out the "Austin LEAFs" Google group.

Thanks for info but Cedar Park has a different electric utility company than COA. No, he was not at whole Foods over the weekend. Does WholeFoods have any charge stations at the 360 location? I don't think I can take that alt tax credit as I am leasing and already took the $7500 credit as my down payment. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
Thanks for info but Cedar Park has a different electric utility company than COA. No, he was not at whole Foods over the weekend. Does WholeFoods have any charge stations at the 360 location? I don't think I can take that alt tax credit as I am leasing and already took the $7500 credit as my down payment. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

I'm not a tax professional, but YOU didn't take the tax credit if you are leasing. The leasing company actually took the credit and offered you a "free" down payment. You will not be claiming that credit on your taxes, so as far as the IRS is concerned, you did not take that credit.

sn470 said:
. I love number of EVSEs around town (I have one at work) and was thinking about going without one at home. We visited the Hill Country Galleria this weekend and I think I was the first charge on that station, then topped off at Central Market the next day.

Well, you'll at least have the Level-1 EVSE that came with the car, right? (Just wondering being a demo car.. it might have gotten misplaced)

MrIanB said:
Does WholeFoods have any charge stations at the 360 location?
I don't know. I don't think so. I don't generally charge away from home, nor have ever needed to, or will ever likely need to, so I don't pay any attention to what charge station is available where.

Apart from the miles and unknown charge history on the 2011's, what about the battery life from the point of view of the clock ticking since the battery was manufactured? This was stated as a factor in another thread but not sure what the degradation rate is. If it is one year since DOM is that equivalent to 1/8th the useful life?

Back