100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
For the sake of comparison, I'll assume you were a nanosecond from turtle.
He still had all his power bubbles, so who knows how much farther he could have gone. :) Nicely done!

drees said:
He still had all his power bubbles, so who knows how much farther he could have gone. Nicely done!
Indeed, in my recent test runs the Leaf could travel a mile or two after the first power bubble disappeared. There is less than 0.5kWh of available energy in the battery at that point, so it depends on how fast you are going.

The model I built for the reverse SOC meter thread predicts LB at 102 miles, VLB at 120 and turtle at 127 miles for N1ghtrider's latest trip. Assuming the same overall energy efficiency and 21 kWh of available capacity. Considering Tony's comment, I think the VLB to LB ratio is off a bit in the model. It's about 44%, which is on the low side.

Although we are having some difficulty to reconcile the data, congratulations N1ghtrider. Well done! Amazing work.

Tony:

I don't know how to IM, but my size is XXL (or XL if that is the largest you have) and my favorite color is blue. I will take a picture of the odometer after changing the setting to metric (as I rode my Harley to work today instead of driving the Leaf, so the mileage has not changed).

The temperature was from 65 to 75 for all of the trips on this charge.

On the data discrepancy, it may have been more than 114 miles when VLB came on, as I made a mental note when it happened, but then my memory got a little fuzzy as I experienced the delight in passing 200 km. I will write it down immediately next time. The 103 for LB is absolutely correct.

Roy

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
For the sake of comparison, I'll assume you were a nanosecond from turtle.
He still had all his power bubbles, so who knows how much farther he could have gone. :) Nicely done!

This was my thought. He's in VLB but has not lost any power bubbles yet. I lost my first bubble in VLB at about 6.5 miles with a 5.3 m/kWh trip average. So methinks if he hadn't lost any power bubbles, he had a bit to drive before turtle... or as Tony points out, temperature plays a much bigger factor on the behavior of the car than we realized.

TNleaf said:
I lost my first bubble in VLB at about 6.5 miles with a 5.3 m/kW trip average.
Thank you for sharing this. Your data would imply about 1.6 kWh of usable capacity in VLB. Is it safe to assume that you charged to 100%? I believe that Roy's trip data implies at least 2 kWh available energy, which is relatively high.

surfingslovak said:
TNleaf said:
I lost my first bubble in VLB at about 6.5 miles with a 5.3 m/kWh trip average.
Thank you for sharing this. Your data would imply about 1.6 kWh of usable capacity in VLB. Is it safe to assume that you charged to 100%? I believe that Roy's trip data implies at least 2 kWh available energy, which is relatively high.

Yes it was a 100% charge. I documented that event in this thread :)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022&start=40#p155369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On that instance (100% charge), I didn't hit turtle, but noticed a loss of the far right power bubble before driving 6.5 miles in VLB. The overall charge economy was 5.3, but for the last 13 miles (I reset the NAV reading) I was getting 6.3 m/kWh.

TNleaf said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7022&start=40#p155369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. That's a great trip report. I was curious how well the rough model we came up with in the other thread would work with your data set. It appears that your available battery capacity is about 10% higher than mine. I factored this difference it into the trip energy economy, and made it 10% higher. It looks like the model is 2 miles off. It predicts LB at 96 miles and VLB at 112 miles. Pretty close, but no cookie. At least not yet.

It seems like I need to make the spreadsheet smarter and allow available battery capacity as a parameter. Out of curiosity, what was the ambient temperature in early December where you live?

Click to open

"I will take a picture of the odometer after changing the setting to metric"

It does not change the trip meter miles already logged to meters when the settings are changed, so we will just have to mathematically extrapolate the metric distance..

N1ghtrider said:
Tony: I don't know how to IM, but my size is XXL (or XL if that is the largest you have) and my favorite color is blue. I will take a picture of the odometer after changing the setting to metric (as I rode my Harley to work today instead of driving the Leaf, so the mileage has not changed).

Ok, I think the biggest I have is XL, but they are big ! 100% organic 5 ounce cotton. Just email me your address at:

TonyWilliams
at
LoveMyLEAF
daught
com

The temperature was from 65 to 75 for all of the trips on this charge

Perfect~~~~ Almost perfect 21kWh in the battery, which checks good with the temp.

the data discrepancy, it may have been more than 114 miles when VLB came on, as I made a mental note when it happened, but then my memory got a little fuzzy as I experienced the delight in passing 200 km. I will write it down immediately next time. The 103 for LB is absolutely correct.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. That's why I use Trip A and B !!

The 22 miles you drove after 103 is logical, so we'll just have to assume that the VLB was probably at 116.5-ish, which would also be logical (13.5/8.5 split, LBW to VLB to Turtle).

surfingslovak said:
TNleaf said:
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. That's a great trip report. I was curious how well the rough model we came up with in the other thread would work with your data set. It appears that your available battery capacity is about 10% higher than mine. I factored this difference it into the trip energy economy, and made it 10% higher. It looks like the model is 2 miles off. It predicts LB at 96 miles and VLB at 112 miles. Pretty close, but no cookie. At least not yet.

It seems like I need to make the spreadsheet smarter and allow available battery capacity as a parameter. Out of curiosity, what was the ambient temperature in early December where you live?

I see 6 bars on N1's temp gauge - maybe that 'coarse' reading will be enough?

surfingslovak said:
TNleaf said:

That week of driving the LEAF battery temp display was always 4 or 5 bars. TN weather is ever so crazy, it ranged from 35F days to 65F days that week. Most of the driving (including the last morning) it was closer to 40F (4 temp bars on the battery).

TNleaf said:
surfingslovak said:
TNleaf said:

That week of driving the LEAF battery temp display was always 4 or 5 bars. TN weather is ever so crazy, it ranged from 35F days to 65F days that week. Most of the driving (including the last morning) it was closer to 40F (4 temp bars on the battery).

i must be suffering from battery degradation. i cant get nowhere near that performance and my temps are not that different from yours. last year when Leaf was a month old, i did a 130 mile trip (with charging). will be doing the same next weekend. will be interesting to see how much of a charge i will need to make the trip. last time was total of about 2¼ hours.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i must be suffering from battery degradation. i cant get nowhere near that performance and my temps are not that different from yours. last year when Leaf was a month old, i did a 130 mile trip (with charging). will be doing the same next weekend. will be interesting to see how much of a charge i will need to make the trip. last time was total of about 2¼ hours.
Dave, have you had your 1-year battery check yet? It'd be interesting to see what it says.

BrainDonor said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Dave, have you had your 1-year battery check yet? It'd be interesting to see what it says.

my anniversary date is Wed the 18th. just rolled 12,000 miles. i hope to have it done within next few weeks. i am guessing i have some degradation but not enough to warrant the "FYI" oh well...maybe next year.

i am seriously comtemplating getting a real analysis done for cost if its reasonable enough.

i guess i should start a thread to find out what people would pay

N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

My "Love my Leaf" t-shirt arrived and it is great. Thank you. :)

Glad you like it. I can confidently say that you're the first one in Florida with one!

I'm almost afraid to suggest a longest range challenge, because I think you'll blow the 135 mile record out of the water!

Tony

It may be awhile before I win the long range challenge but I am shooting to beat my personal record on the current charge. In other news, on another thread a member named Eniac reports:

A reporter, Nick Chambers, drove 116.1 miles on a LEAF test drive back in Oct 2010. I've driven 111 miles once (100% charge), a year ago.

I suppose that Eniac should be added to the 100 mile club.

Unfortunately, there have now been enough battery checks to let us know that it shows very little (to us, at least). For capacity, it shows the same 12 divisions as the tick marks to the right of the 12 SOC bars, and the first one does not extinguish until you drop something like 15 percent in capacity...

BrainDonor said:

N1ghtrider said:
A reporter, Nick Chambers, drove 116.1 miles on a LEAF test drive back in Oct 2010. I've driven 111 miles once (100% charge), a year ago.

I posted this over on the other thread:

This run by Nick was done in Oct 2010, months before the first LEAF delivery. Because he drove 116 miles at 5.1 miles/kWh, that means there was 22.7kWh in the battery to use.

What was the ambient air temperature during this run ? We don't know, but considering when and where it was done, I don't think it was over 100F/40C. Because it was driven by a pre-production car, I suspect that the cell voltages were at 4.2v per cell, and not the 4.1v of the production car.

There are references in some of the documents to a 403v battery (96 cell pairs * 4.2v), but the current production car has about 21kWh available at 70F/20C temperature, and has 393.5v with 4.1v per cell. That capacity decreases about 1% per 4F/2C temperature decrease below 70F/20C.

Nick's calculated battery capacity of 22.7kWh (8% above 21kWh) is significantly above that standard, and could be explained either by higher cell voltage, or extreme battery temperature of over 100F/40C.

Tonight I beat my own record by reaching 130 miles (209.4 km) on a single charge. :cool: It took me 4 days of driving my usual crosstown trips in city traffic. The temps were 65 to 75 degrees so I did not use climate control. I did not go on interstate.

I averaged 6.4 m/kwh. I hit low batt at 105.8 miles (when GOM showed 13 miles left), and VLB at 121 miles.
2094kilometersonsinglecharge.jpg

Back