100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N1ghtrider said:
Tonight I beat my own record by reaching 130 miles (209.4 km) on a single charge. :cool: It took me 4 days of driving my usual crosstown trips in city traffic. The temps were 65 to 75 degrees so I did not use climate control. I did not go on interstate.

I averaged 6.4 m/kwh. I hit low batt at 105.8 miles (when GOM showed 13 miles left), and VLB at 121 miles.

I forgot how to post pictures. Somebody remind me so I can send the odometer shot.
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! 100 miles... meh.... 130 miles is an accomplishment!

Here is the picture with the odometer set for miles.

:cool:

130miles.jpg

You just need to pop that over 132, and you're the longest drive also. Good data, thanks!

130 miles (209.4 km)
6.4 m/kwh
Calculated battery capacity: 20.3kWh
temps 65 to 75 degrees
no climate control.

LBW - 105.8 miles (15.2 to VLB)
VLB - 121 miles (9 to end)
end - 130 miles

LBW-->>VLB ratio = 59%

To keep things on the up and up, I'd ask that reports of
achieved mileage include a statement of average MPH during the
run(s).

I like seeing multiple reports of drivers achieving over 100 miles
on a charge. But I strongly suspect that the figures are achieved
-- like the 1000+ mi/tank records in the Prius world I'm familiar
with -- at average speeds less than 30 MPH...

No big surprise for me, but less sophisticated (jaded?) visitors might
not be aware of the non-real world nature of hyper-long distance
challenges.

To keep things on the up and up, I'd ask that reports of
achieved mileage include a statement of average MPH during the
run(s).

24.9 mph avg. Remember, this is Miami city traffic, so I was not holding up anyone and was keeping up with the flow of traffic whenever anyone was around me. It is extremely "real world" on South Dixie Highway during rush hour.

N1ghtrider said:
24.9 mph avg. Remember, this is Miami city traffic, so I was not holding up anyone and was keeping up with the flow of traffic whenever anyone was around me. It is extremely "real world" on South Dixie Highway during rush hour.

Roy,

Could you log into CarWings and tell us what it reports for total kWh burned for this trip (which we will compare to the calculated 20.3kWh).

Thanks,

Tony

Tony:

I can still download that information, but I need you to walk me through the steps to retrieve it from CarWings. (I did not drive the Leaf since my 130 mile run--saving miles due to limits on my lease and wanting to ride my Harley to work today--so the date is still there.

N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

I can still download that information, but I need you to walk me through the steps to retrieve it from CarWings. (I did not drive the Leaf since my 130 mile run--saving miles due to limits on my lease and wanting to ride my Harley to work today--so the date is still there.

Log onto CarWings on the NissanUSA.com site, and fishnaroundnin there for the data. There might be a step-by-step somewhere in here!

Tony:

I found the information on CarWings. That listing shows that I actually drove 132.9 miles over the 3 days, instead of the 130.1 shown on my odometer. Which is accurate? :?: I can guarantee that those trips were on a single charge.

The trips were 5.9 miles on Friday, at 1.1 kwh, 47.3 miles on Saturday, at 8.5 kwh, and 79.7 miles on Sunday, at 12.2 kwh, for a total of 21.8 kwh.

N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

I found the information on CarWings. That listing shows that I actually drove 132.9 miles over the 3 days, instead of the 130.1 shown on my odometer. Which is accurate? :?: I can guarantee that those trips were on a single charge.

The trips were 5.9 miles on Friday, at 1.1 kwh, 47.3 miles on Saturday, at 8.5 kwh, and 79.7 miles on Sunday, at 12.2 kwh, for a total of 21.8 kwh.

The new CarWings is 2.5% off. The car is accurate, as far as we know. 130 miles x 2.5% = 3.25miles + 130 = 133.25.

130 miles (209.4 km) New CarWings says 132.9
6.4 miles/kwh
Calculated battery capacity: 20.3kWh New CarWings says 21.8kWh
temps 65 to 75 degrees
no climate control

TonyWilliams said:
N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

The new CarWings is 2.5% off. The car is accurate, as far as we know. 130 miles x 2.5% = 3.25miles + 130 = 133.25.

6.4 miles/kwh
temps 65 to 75 degrees
no climate control

Anyone else seeing CW OVER-stating miles driven? I thought all other posts were of the same 2.5 % UNDER-reporting from CW?

N1ghtrider-

It sounds like you got very close to the record 132 miles, set in more "ideal" conditions, of warmer temperatures, higher altitude (?) and 35 mph constant speed on a flat course, and driving all the way to "dead" battery...

What kind of "city traffic" did you drive in? Did you do it all under 35 mph, with virtually no regen use?

TonyWilliams said:
N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

6.4 miles/kwh
temps 65 to 75 degrees
no climate control
You can't just add the kWh and derive the battery capacity because you don't know the amount of regen.

ENIAC said:
TonyWilliams said:
N1ghtrider said:
Tony:

6.4 miles/kwh
temps 65 to 75 degrees
no climate control
You can't just add the kWh and derive the battery capacity because you don't know the amount of regen.

Actually, if he's grabbing those number from Carwings on the Driving Records, it accounts for the amount of regen. You can verify that by looking at the driving record for a specific day, then going to the "My Driving Style" section and it shows total consumed, total regen, accessory usage. Again, the number from the driving history accounts for regen.

Also, I hadn't heard of Carwings showing MORE driven than actual. Mine always shows less than what my odometer shows.

It looks like Carwings establishes that I really beat the distance record and reached 132.9 miles on a single charge: :cool:

My city driving was residential and commercial streets with speed limits of 30 to 45 mph and me generally going 36 to 41 with stops for traffic lights, stop signs and backups every few blocks, with perhaps a straightaway of a mile or so every once in awhile. I kept up with the flow of traffic.

Here is the more detailed data from Carwings.

On 1/20 I drove 5.9 miles. "Driving History" shows 1.1 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 1.5 kWh consumed driving, 0.1 kWh consumed by accessories, and 0.5 regen, for a net 1.1 kWh used, or 5.6 m/kWh

On 1/21 I drove 47.3 miles. "Driving History" shows 8.5 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 11.7 kWh consumed driving, 0.6 kWh consumed by accessories, and 3.9 regen, for a net 8.5 kWh used, or 5.6 m/kWh.

On 1/22 I drove 79.7 miles. "Driving History" shows 12.2 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 15.2 kWh consumed driving, 0.9 kWh consumed by accessories, and 3.9 regen, for a net 12.2 kWh used, at 6.5 m/kWh.

N1ghtrider said:
It looks like Carwings establishes that I really beat the distance record and reached 132.9 miles on a single charge: :cool:

My city driving was residential and commercial streets with speed limits of 30 to 45 mph and me generally going 36 to 41 with stops for traffic lights, stop signs and backups every few blocks, with perhaps a straightaway of a mile or so every once in awhile. I kept up with the flow of traffic.

Here is the more detailed data from Carwings.

On 1/20 I drove 5.9 miles. "Driving History" shows 1.1 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 1.5 kWh consumed driving, 0.1 kWh consumed by accessories, and 0.5 regen, for a net 1.1 kWh used, or 5.6 m/kWh

On 1/21 I drove 47.3 miles. "Driving History" shows 8.5 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 11.7 kWh consumed driving, 0.6 kWh consumed by accessories, and 3.9 regen, for a net 8.5 kWh used, or 5.6 m/kWh.

On 1/22 I drove 79.7 miles. "Driving History" shows 12.2 kWh consumed. "My Driving Style" clarifies that it was 15.2 kWh consumed driving, 0.9 kWh consumed by accessories, and 3.9 regen, for a net 12.2 kWh used, at 6.5 m/kWh.

Curiouser and curiouser...

First thing, I'd suggest you resolve the miles driven issue by Checking one or more long drives against another source, such as google maps/earth. Most all others have reported odometer accuracy and CW understating mileage ( a constant 2.5% +/-.1 % for the last 6 months, for my LEAF).

Are you quite sure the CW records correspond to exactly the same trips for which you reported the 130 miles and 6.4 m/kWh?
from the car?

Did you get that 6.4 from the Nav screen or behind the wheel, and could it, for example, only have corresponded to part of your driving, maybe the last day's driving, for which CW calculated 6.5?

The thing that most surprises me in the CW reports you posted above are the HUGE amounts of regen energy you received, close to 40% of total energy use over the 3 days. I do mostly mountain driving and highway driving, and almost always receive only between 10-12%. That regen ratio, even if you could have manged to never engaged the friction brakes, should have dragged down your m/kWh, quite a bit. What sort of regen ratio do you get in other types of driving?

It seems to me, either regen is far more efficient than many of us have surmised, your CW regen numbers (and maybe others) are way off, and/or your Battery indeed had close to 22 kWh available capacity.

In fact, I never have had the opportunity to do a long flat slow drive, but having read the reports of many others who have, and posted results here, I would think the driving you describe would probably have required close to 22 kWh, or even more.

Did you happen to charge the battery from a very low state to 100%, during warm ambient temperatures?

I believe many have theorized that this is the best way to get the most kWh into your battery pack.

edatoakrun said:
The thing that most surprises me in the CW reports you posted above are the HUGE amounts of regen energy you received, close to 40% of total energy use over the 3 days.

Drag is drag, regen at slower speeds is still more efficient than regen at hwy speeds.. I dont know how good a hypermiler Roy is, but the top ones would not use brakes at all. It takes lots of discipline.

Herm said:
edatoakrun said:
The thing that most surprises me in the CW reports you posted above are the HUGE amounts of regen energy you received, close to 40% of total energy use over the 3 days.

Drag is drag, regen at slower speeds is still more efficient than regen at hwy speeds.. I dont know how good a hypermiler Roy is, but the top ones would not use brakes at all. It takes lots of discipline.

I don't understand your comment.

The point is, if you cycle over 8 kWh though regen, out of a 20-22 kWh charge, wouldn't you expect a very significant reduction in m/kWh, and range, over the same drive with less regen use?

Getting high regen is easy. Avoiding regen in order to increase your range (without driving slower) requires some effort.

I spoke a bit too soon above when I said I usually receive only 10-12%. I looked further, as far back as far as CW let me, to 11/1, and found higher numbers, up to the 15% range for my 50-60 mile "commute" trip, for warmer days starting out with only a 80% charge.

My highest rates were on my 2 nearly identical longest range trips, both over 80 miles with over 5,000 ft of elevation gain and loss. Of course, regen is unavoidable, with these amounts of ascent and descent. Since I rarely needed to touch the brake pedal on these drives, I believe the amount of energy lost to friction braking on both trips was negligible. I got 4.9 m/kWh on both trips. 17.5 of consumption and 4.5 of regen (about 26%) on the first, and 16.7 and 4.8 (about 29%) on the second.

The second trip, was a special case. I dropped to 1 bar, LBW, and 4 miles on the GOM, when I was about 25 miles from home. I was in "unknown" range territory, with no recharge options ahead, l so I really maximized the regen on the 2500 ft of net descent over the next 10 miles from that point, as I hyper-miled down from Hatchet mt Summit on hwy 299 at 40-45 mph (on a 55mph 2 lane highway) often driving no-pedal in ECO, pumping the GOM up to 14, but the damn LB warning still wouldn't shut off. I wound up with 1 bar and 4 miles on the GOM when I arrived.

All numbers above are from CW.

To answer some of the questions (and without time to go into a deeper analysis of the Carwings figures, etc., due to my court schedule):

I am sure that the Carwings data accurately reflects all my trips (and only those trips) on that single charge, for the reason that I charged the battery on Wednesday night (one week ago), left the car sitting until Friday night (after riding my Harley to the Miami airport for a two-day trip by air out Thursday morning, because motorcycle parking is free).

Yes, I always wait until the battery level is very low and then recharge to 100%. It was 65 to 75 degrees F during most of last week.

My good regen levels may partly be due to my ability to use regen from 6 years driving a hybrid (Honda Civic) on these same roads, and always taking my foot off the throttle when I see a red light or slowing traffic ahead. I would much rather the car slow itself to 15 mph without hitting the brakes and then the light changes so I can accelerate from 15 instead of a stop. (I am a sailboat racer and like to be able to time passing between vessels without unecessary luffing or zigging and zagging.).

I have not checked the odometer against other measures, but will do so over the next week or two. It is remotely possible that I accidently re-set the odometer after driving a couple of miles on that charge, but I could not have re-set the Carwings data, so I am claiming the record for mileage on a single charge.

Back