Snow tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nokian's have gotten good reviews by Prius owners - side benefit is that they have surprisingly low rolling resistance in addition to great snow/rain traction so many people end up running them year round!

Edit: Blizzaks, too.

How are the stock tires rated? Are they an all-weather or strictly non-snow? I'm expecting our 2012 mid December, and on the Olympic Peninsula we get a bit of snow maybe 2-3 times per winter.

Anyone actually do much driving in snow yet?

A few of us in the PNW got our Leafs early enough this year to play around in the snow a couple of times. Thread here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, and I put a set of these on a few weeks ago:
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-garit-kx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sproqitman said:
http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-garit-kx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice, how do you like them so far?

I'm actually in the PNW too (Vancovuer BC).

I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying to decide whether to get a set of snows, or get a good set of all seasons. I hate the stock tires, they royally suck for wet traction. I don't really want to buy 2 sets (snows and all-seasons) since this is a lease, but I'm thinking either a snow tire the might be OK all year round, or just a good quality all-season and then get cable-chains or those tire sock things that were in another thread for when things get particularly bad (you know, the 2 days that happens per year here in Seattle).

tesla500 said:
sproqitman said:
Nice, how do you like them so far?

I'm actually in the PNW too (Vancovuer BC).
No snow, yet. I put a set on our Toyota Echo last winter and turned it from mediocre to the third-best snow car I've owned. On dry pavement, they ride a bit rougher over bumps than the Ecopias. Cornering is about the same.

One of the car magazines (unfortunately, I forget which one) just ran an article comparing All Season tires to Snow tires. The bottom line: Snow tires were far more effective and All Season tires were marginal at best in real snow. The takeaway was get real snow tires if you plan to have to drive in real snow.

TomT said:
One of the car magazines (unfortunately, I forget which one) just ran an article comparing All Season tires to Snow tires. The bottom line: Snow tires were far more effective and All Season tires were marginal at best in real snow. The takeaway was get real snow tires if you plan to have to drive in real snow.

Well, I would consider that to be obvious, BUT it means that you have two sets of tires and have to swap them back and forth in fall/spring. Ideally, I'd want a set of good snows, good summers, and good wet weather ones and just swap them out depending on the day, but that's just not feasible for most people to do both financially and hassle-wise, not to mention storage.

I think I'm going to have to opt for a set of all-seasons, and try to pick one that will handle snow but focus on wet weather. For the Seattle area, I think that's the best compromise.

tesla500 said:
I'm looking for recommendations on snow tires for the LEAF. Are there any that both have good traction and are quiet?

I'm a huge fan the Blizzak's. I have a set from a prior car that I bolted up last week. Thier snow traction is top notch and pavement is really good too. They are a little bit louder than the stock tires, but I find it ok.

I'm getting ready to take mine off again until snow threatens again. I might be persuaded to make the drive from Seattle to Vancouver if you wanted to bolt them on for a few hours.

FairwoodRed said:
tesla500 said:
I'm looking for recommendations on snow tires for the LEAF. Are there any that both have good traction and are quiet?

I'm a huge fan the Blizzak's. I have a set from a prior car that I bolted up last week. Thier snow traction is top notch and pavement is really good too. They are a little bit louder than the stock tires, but I find it ok.

I'm getting ready to take mine off again until snow threatens again. I might be persuaded to make the drive from Seattle to Vancouver if you wanted to bolt them on for a few hours.
I use the Blizzak sport sedan snow tires on my Subaru. Freakin' awesome. I put them on and take them off again every time I drive up to Tahoe from the Bay Area. (takes me 10-15 minutes each time) I've had them for 5 years since they get so little road time each year and although I'm sure that a well designed comparison test could tell that they aren't brand new any more, I can't tell the difference. Mine probably have at least 80% of the tread left...

Bill

Back