What is this, that pops up on the screen right after the splash-screen? (2018 Leaf)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbquikcomjamesl

At power-up, right after the splash-screen, and right before the operational screen comes up, I get this pop-up for a few seconds.
LeafWhatIsThis.jpg

http://members.toast.net/JHHL/LeafWhatIsThis.jpg
No idea what it is, and I don't see anything like it in the owner's manual.

I am seeing this also, after a year and a half, but just because I don't REMEMBER seeing it before odes not mean that I have not!

It seems to be referring to the vehicle pedestrian warning, but I have no idea what it's doing there, or what it is saying. "Ok" it's On, or "Ok" it's off...?

LeftieBiker said:
It seems to be referring to the vehicle pedestrian warning, but I have no idea what it's doing there, or what it is saying. "Ok" it's On, or "Ok" it's off...?

That could be it, and the thought occurred to me as well.

I will note that if the vehicle is in reverse, I get a very clearly audible chime, that sounds like a cross between an old-fashioned mechanical truck back-up alarm, and the bell on a diesel locomotive (and I'm very happy with that, thank you very much), but I haven't heard *anything* if it's in "D" (or "B" for that matter) and either stopped or moving at a speed in the published VSP range.

(Personally, I would love a VSP hack that makes it sound like an idling or slowly-moving steam locomotive: generator whine, occasional strokes of the air brake compressor, occasional safety valve popoff, exhaust chuff [maybe even with steam venting from cylinder cocks at first] when it starts to move.)

It is showing which sensors are enabled, puts a speaker on the ones that will beep at you if something gets too close, etc. Mine has 4 all around the car enabled, makes the screen crowed, lol. I'll attach a screenshot here later to show what I mean.

knightmb said:
It is showing which sensors are enabled, puts a speaker on the ones that will beep at you if something gets to close, etc. Mine has 4 all around the car enabled, makes the screen crowed, lol. I'll attach a screenshot here later to show what I mean.

And is there a setting to go with this?

Also *what* sensors?

I know I don't have intelligent cruise control or pro-pilot (just basic cruise control).

If I have BSW, I'm not aware of it.

I'm not aware of LDW, RCTA, or MOD on my Leaf. Nor AEB.

How would I even determine whether I have features I'm not aware of having?

LeftieBiker said:

Lol, is it (ok), OK, or okOK? Are you supposed to say it's ok, or is the car telling you it's OK? Is it OK if you don't press (ok)?

hbquikcomjamesl said:
And is there a setting to go with this?

Also *what* sensors?

I know I don't have intelligent cruise control or pro-pilot (just basic cruise control).

If I have BSW, I'm not aware of it.

I'm not aware of LDW, RCTA, or MOD on my Leaf. Nor AEB.

How would I even determine whether I have features I'm not aware of having?

Yes, it looks like you have your forward emergency braking turned on. I can't remember which screen it was, I'll dig around mine to see if I can find what I am talking about.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
I will note that if the vehicle is in reverse, I get a very clearly audible chime, that sounds like a cross between an old-fashioned mechanical truck back-up alarm, and the bell on a diesel locomotive (and I'm very happy with that, thank you very much), but I haven't heard *anything* if it's in "D" (or "B" for that matter) and either stopped or moving at a speed in the published VSP range.

(Personally, I would love a VSP hack that makes it sound like an idling or slowly-moving steam locomotive: generator whine, occasional strokes of the air brake compressor, occasional safety valve popoff, exhaust chuff [maybe even with steam venting from cylinder cocks at first] when it starts to move.)

You mean like this? I made a video of all the sounds I have mine setup to do. The forward driving sounds stays on until 25 MPH, so it really gets a lot of attention when I drive around with everyone giving me the "WTF is that sound" look. :mrgreen:

I tried to drive near some buildings to reflect some of the "driving" forward sound as the wind tends to drown it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwrVL204BQ

Wow. TIL it seems that Nissan updated VSP noises on newer Leafs.

I heard and saw these before Leaf shipped (in Dec 2010): https://priuschat.com/threads/nissan-leaf-noisemaker-truely-disgusting-noise.81375/.

There's a video floating around about the process Nissan went thru to develop the original sounds, including sessions with and feedback from the blind.

knightmb said:
Yes, it looks like you have your forward emergency braking turned on. I can't remember which screen it was, I'll dig around mine to see if I can find what I am talking about.

Yup, that's it. When I got in to drive home, this evening, I powered up, but left the parking brake on, and looked through the settings menu, to check whether AEB shows up in the settings menu, and found it. Also found that I have "intelligent tracing control," although even after reading about it in the manual, I'm still not entirely clear on what it does.

Knowing that I have AEB, I find myself wanting a safe way to test it -- what would I do? Mount a large radar target on some hay bales and attempt to run into it?

One thing it doesn't have, that I don't want to do without for any longer than necessary (and as soon as the pink slip is safely tucked away in the fire-chest inside my safe, I'm having a local autosound dealer install it) is SONAR. I've backed into too many things to want to be without it, and if I had to choose between a rear-view camera and SONAR, I'd take the SONAR in a heartbeat, any day of the week, because it will beep at me regardless of where I'm looking, if I'm about to back into something, and it will give me an approximate range to the first obstacle it picks up.

Indeed, I've already fabricated a bracket for the display unit.

I'll look at the YouTube video tomorrow, at the office. I don't have the bandwidth (still on dial-up) or the iron (still on a "bionic desk lamp" iMac) to look at it at home.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
Also found that I have "intelligent tracing control," although even after reading about it in the manual, I'm still not entirely clear on what it does.

Basically, when you steer into a curve, the vehicle is monitoring your momentum with sensors to correct slipage (rain, pothole, bald tire, too fast, etc.)

Technical Explanation from Nissan:
Intelligent Trace Control can engage at any point in the corner (entry, mid-corner or exit) if it determines that the vehicle is departing from steered path. By automatically and smoothly applying small amounts of braking to individual wheels, the system corrects the vehicle trajectory to match the driver’s commands, so the driver can maintain confidence while cornering. For example, if the vehicle enters the corner too quickly, the vehicle may tend to move to the outside of the curve. Intelligent Trace Control will gently and smoothly correct the vehicle’s cornering line to help bring it back to the steered path. The system can also engage when exiting the corner. For example, if the driver accelerates out of the curve too quickly and the vehicle tends to move to the outside, Intelligent Trace Control will smoothly brake the inside wheels to help gently bring the vehicle back to the steered path.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
...I'll look at the YouTube video tomorrow, at the office. I don't have the bandwidth (still on dial-up) or the iron (still on a "bionic desk lamp" iMac) to look at it at home.

I loved the design of that model. Got it for my wife when it first came out and opened the "non-serviceable" machine to put a big (for the time) hard drive so it could fit all of her music. We handed it down some years later. It's been many years since the OS no longer supported it. I remember hacking it to get a newer "unsupported" OS onto it and that was quite a few years back. I wouldn't mind still having it just for the aesthetics though.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
Knowing that I have AEB, I find myself wanting a safe way to test it -- what would I do? Mount a large radar target on some hay bales and attempt to run into it?
Set the sensitivity or distance to high, then just drive towards something over 5 mph (wall, another car, whatever) and just stop real close to it kind of fast (in the sense that you know you will stop) and that will usually trigger it every-time. That's what I did to test mine to figure out what settings I liked best. You could also just put a really big piece of cardboard up for a target and actually try to hit it :mrgreen:

hbquikcomjamesl said:
knightmb said:
Set the sensitivity or distance to high.
"Sensitivity or distance to high"? So far as I'm aware, all I have is "on" and "off."

I might be confusing the parking sensors settings with the emergency stop settings, so it's possible those are only on/off. :shock:

Back