WOW!! Highway driving really EATS ENERGY!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnKuthe

Of course we all know this here.

I sure wish we could imbue this knowledge to the rest of HUMANITY!!

And GOTTA get my 240VAC charge line installed! :)

John Kuthe...

mwalsh said:
Yep, I once got just 45 miles out of a full charge at 80+mph. Allegedly. ;)

Testing with a backup car following for when you run out of charge...

?

John Kuthe...

True, but then again..
It also depends on your definition of highway driving..

For some, that is 55-65, and that still draws more than 45, but not THAT bad..

As your definition goes up tho, your range goes down.. ;-)

desiv

JohnKuthe said:
Of course we all know this here.

I sure wish we could imbue this knowledge to the rest of HUMANITY!!

And GOTTA get my 240VAC charge line installed! :)

John Kuthe...

The best way to slow down is to get a couple tickets. Now I set the cruise 1 or 2 KM over the limit and take my foot off the peddle. Amazing how the range goes up. :)

desiv said:
True, but then again..
It also depends on your definition of highway driving..

For some, that is 55-65, and that still draws more than 45, but not THAT bad..

As your definition goes up tho, your range goes down.. ;-)

desiv

I should be right on the money for conserving range with motorway driving when I get my leaf, I drove Class1HGV/tractor trailers in the UK for years which were electronically governed to 56 mph, I don't even need to see the speedometer to know I'm driving at 56 mph, :p I'm programmed lol.

Lancpudn said:
I should be right on the money for conserving range with motorway driving when I get my leaf, I drove Class1HGV/tractor trailers in the UK for years which were electronically governed to 56 mph, I don't even need to see the speedometer to know I'm driving at 56 mph, :p I'm programmed lol.

Where about in Lancashire are you from? I was born in Manchester (Salford actually) and lived in Blackpool most of my youth, except for a few years spent down in London with my Gran.

mwalsh said:

You should not be complaining about this, as the energy needed for a car to go 80mph is tremendous...

If that is your driving style, you should sell your Leaf, and not post this as a negative for the car.

The Leaf is an economy car,,,

mwalsh said:
Lancpudn said:

Where about in Lancashire are you from? I was born in Manchester (Salford actually) and lived in Blackpool most of my youth, except for a few years spent down in London with my Gran.

Hi mwalsh :) , Just outside of Bolton, what a small world. My fathers family originated from Blackpool they moved here for the cotton mills jobs in the late 1800's. I spent many happy holidays as a child in Blackpool in the early 60's with my bucket & spade & stick of rock lol. :mrgreen:

powersurge said:
You should not be complaining about this, as the energy needed for a car to go 80mph is tremendous...
If that is your driving style, you should sell your Leaf, and not post this as a negative for the car.
Whoa!! :D :D :D

Hey, if he only needed to go 45 miles and 80 is accepted in his area, then maybe the Leaf is fine still for him...
I don't know that he was posting as a negative, but more as a "Yep, it's true" comment..

Hey, it made it.. So that's a positive review in my book.. :)

desiv

powersurge said:
mwalsh said:

LOL! Not complaining. BRAGGING! :lol:

I saw this first hand as a newbie Leaf owner. I made my first 45 mile trip one way that was 90% highway. I have to admit this was my first time experiencing range anxiety. Left the house at 88% charge. Drove conservatively keeping it to 61 mph since I had no idea what I'd consume and needed some spare range in case my charging options did not pan out. Arrived with around 42% charge and 42 miles or so left from my memory. Great feeling to have that range left.

Charged and parked for free (sweet!). On the way home decided to drive with abandon. That cost me an additional 20% battery. Good lesson that it doesn't take much to extend the range of the Leaf.

Where I live everything is far away. It's 60 miles to the nearest Super WalMart. Add to that the mountainous passes I have to drive over. So far simply calculating the speed I have to go to make it to the next charging destination has helped tremendously, although sometimes that speed is less than 40mph.

Here in Colorado even tractors and cattle drives are allowed on the highways. So if I'm going slow I turn on my flashers and pull over from time to time. Maybe if I get enough people upset that I have to drive so slow they'll petition more charging stations for me. :mrgreen:

IssacZachary said:
Where I live everything is far away. It's 60 miles to the nearest Super WalMart. Add to that the mountainous passes I have to drive over. So far simply calculating the speed I have to go to make it to the next charging destination has helped tremendously, although sometimes that speed is less than 40mph.

Here in Colorado even tractors and cattle drives are allowed on the highways. So if I'm going slow I turn on my flashers and pull over from time to time. Maybe if I get enough people upset that I have to drive so slow they'll petition more charging stations for me. :mrgreen:
Maybe you have read this? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23764#p490717
Sure wouldn't want to run into one of those cows or a deer for that matter at those speeds. :oops:

ElectricEddy said:
IssacZachary said:

Maybe you have read this? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23764#p490717
Sure wouldn't want to run into one of those cows or a deer for that matter at those speeds. :oops:
When I went to CDL school they taught that for every time you double your speed you quadruple the stopping distance. Even a change from 50 to 60mph will double the stopping distance. I only hit a dear once when I was a kid and drove like a maniac. After driving big trucks over the mountain passes for years I've gotten accustomed to taking it easy, following speed limit signs and not fearing to drive a bit slower when I feel the need to.

The place I have to drive 40mph is from Montrose to Gunnison due to the incline. The first part is 65mph and that's where I have to use flashers, etc. Later on the speed limit drops to 50mph then to 40mph (temporarily 35mph.) Then it's back to 65mph, but by then if I have enough battery I may be able to drive faster.

As a comedian once remarked, "ever notice how anyone driving faster than you is a maniac, and anyone driving slower than you is a complete idiot?"

Learning to fly has given me a different perspective of relative speed. If I want to go fast, I drive to the airport. Cruising along at 140 MPH looking down at what now appears as "slow motion" interstate traffic on some life sized scrolling Google Earth map is kind of interesting. The cars madly jockeying for position in the passing lane just don't look like they are making much more overall progress than everyone else on the big concrete conveyor belt. Better to chill out, relax, and enjoy the drive. Saves energy too!

Leaf has a max speed 148kmh or 93mph.
It depletes the battery within 50km or 30 miles :lol:
Aka 20 minutes of driving at that speed :lol: :lol:

Leaf + Autobahn = Computer Says No!

Back to the question. Why does Leaf drive that fast? :mrgreen:

gshepherd said:
As a comedian once remarked, "ever notice how anyone driving faster than you is a maniac, and anyone driving slower than you is a complete idiot?"
Yep. George Carlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ.

Back