Will this fit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

I either need to mount or tether a safe in my LEAF (mine is supposed to arrive next week). I have one safe that is 9.5" x 6.5" x 1.75" and another that is 8.25" x 6" x 1.75". Preferably, it has to be accessible from the driver seat and without exiting the vehicle. They are both clam-shell style safes that swing open long ways.

I'm wondering if any LEAF owners could let me know if one of these will fit anywhere. Under the driver seat, in the center console, in the glove compartment, etc... I probably should have checked when I did my test drive, but it didn't come to mind.

In my current car I have it mounted in the center console AND tethered to the seat with a security cable.

Thanks in advance!

Best thing to do is to take your safe to a dealer and sit in their demo Leaf and see if you can find a spot.

There's not really any room under the seats - they're right on top of the batteries. The center console is small, as is the glovebox.

I have not found a place for a safe either. On my prior cars it slid neatly under the front passenger seat but there is no room there in the leaf. There is a lot of room in the space inside the dash behind and around the glovebox and I've toyed with the idea of modifying the glove box to integrate my safe but this is the nicest car I've ever owned so I can't bring myself to cut into it.

These safe's have a cable that you "permanently" attach to a fixed spot or around something that won't be easily cut. The purpose is for concealed carriers to lock up your firearm when you must leave it in the vehicle..

I did mount a MidFrame C-Burr at my right leg into the side of the console. S&W40C

http://www.grassburr.com/about-mounted-handguns.asp

Let me know if you find a good spot for the safe! :)

What's the point in having a safe in the LEAF? You won't be going to a gas station any longer.

Spert said:
What's the point in having a safe in the LEAF? You won't be going to a gas station any longer.

My thoughts exactly. If I had something I wanted to hide in the LEAF (one off purposes) because I was parking in a bad neighborhood or valet parking the car or the like, I'd likely put it in the tire repair kit area in the hatch, or under the hood in a bag - since it doesn't get hot under there.

Unless you bolt the safe to the car somehow, couldn't someone just take the whole safe and work on opening it at their leisure?

EricBayArea said:
Unless you bolt the safe to the car somehow, couldn't someone just take the whole safe and work on opening it at their leisure?

Yeah, it should be either bolted or tethered with a security cable. It's not Fort Knox, it's just designed to prevent thefts of opportunity and unauthorized access to whatever is in the safe.

Really, when you think about it, the safest place for certain items is on the owners person. But very stupid and dangerous laws and ignorant corporate policies mean some people have no choice but to leave certain items in a place that wouldn't have someone there willing to fight tooth and nail to retain that item. The other option is to leave home without that item- which is not something I'm willing to consider.

I guess we are too PC now to even say GUN... But then, I would never leave one unattended in a car under any circumstances... Best to leave it home if that is the only option.

kubel said:
Really, when you think about it, the safest place for certain items is on the owners person. But very stupid and dangerous laws and ignorant corporate policies mean some people have no choice but to leave certain items in a place that wouldn't have someone there willing to fight tooth and nail to retain that item. The other option is to leave home without that item- which is not something I'm willing to consider.

If you don't leave it in the car, then you give up your self defense options for your entire trip just because its illegal to get a quick bite at a NC restaurant that serves beer with your concealed GUN on person.

I don't think an entire trip is going to be THAT far in a Leaf... :lol:

harryjpowell said:
If you don't leave it in the car, then you give up your self defense options for your entire trip just because its illegal to get a quick bite at a NC restaurant that serves beer with your concealed GUN on person.

harryjpowell said:
"Excuse me, sir, please temporarily suspend your threat on my personal safety while I go back to my car to dig out and unlock my gun case." :roll: (To be fair, he could be transporting drugs. I wouldn't want to leave a kilo of heroin sitting on the seat for all to see either!)
=Smidge=

Every mile while in the Leaf. That's 100% of the time..
Since someones wisdom tends to put chargers right near the door, if it's not ICE'd, it's a short walk :p

TomT said:
I guess we are too PC now to even say GUN... But then, I would never leave one unattended in a car under any circumstances... Best to leave it home if that is the only option.

I'm so naive that I didn't even think it was a gun. I was trying to figure out what it could be and "gun" didn't even cross my mind :lol:

If you are handy, build a box to be a "false floor" in the trunk using the trunk mat as a shape template and as a cover. That way you can pull up the mat, unlock the hidden compartment and BAM! well, not *BAM*, but more viola! ;)

Concealed without permit in NC. Really, just break the law... You'll feel so smart when you get caught. I think that's a misdemeanor for your 1st offense and felony on your 2nd. Great advice, just don't worry about it..

Back