Which works better on the Leaf? iPhone or Droid?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I currently have an iPhone5 and it works fine on the Leaf, but I want to switch to a Droid. Am I going to lose any functionality with my Leaf if I were to switch to a Droid?

Uhhh... Droid can refer to robots in Star Wars and Verizon's brand for certain Android based phones. (Google for verizon droid brand.)

Can you be more specific about which Android phone, which carrier, which Android OS version and what you're trying to achieve?

I don't even think the list of Android phones at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Android_devices#Smartphones" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is complete. There are numerous Android OS versions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history#Version_history_by_API_level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and various OEMs and carriers do their own customizations (e.g. Samsung Touchwiz, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Sense#Versions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, etc.) and put on crapware.

(FWIW, I have an iPhone 5 and a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (which has a TON of crapware and gimmicky Samsung features). Long ago, I also previously had a close to pure Android T-Mobile myTouch 3G (essentially a T-Mobile G1 w/o a keyboard) while simultaneously owning an iPhone (3G, then later a 4).)

In terms of integration with the stereo system, I recall someone posting not long ago about his Android device not working through the USB port (thus losing the ability to rew/ff through tracks using the audio system controls, as well as seeing artist and song info on the radio screen) and it only works when connected to the aux-in jack. Not sure about Bluetooth audio streaming.

EDIT: here's the thread

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to davewill, newer Android phones won't work through the Leaf's USB port; aux-in jack or Bluetooth streaming only.

I have an I-phone 5.
I have no love for apple, and a real loathing for their "uber Controlling" attitudes.

However, I am constantly and begrudgingly surprised with it's interface with my Leaf.

Recently I realized that I can play Music from the phone, using it's blue-tooth connection in an almost transparent manner.
I just select it off the Aux input menue, and the car's dash control's operate the music source; even the steering wheel controls for skip, etc.

Friday I downloaded an audio-book from my library which uses an app called overdrive to control access and registration etc.

If the app is running on my phone, even in background, I can just get into the car, punch play on the dash, and listen to the book.

I know I shouldn't be impressed.
It Should work like this.
But I usually find that things like this work "pretty well, but...."

Just nice when it works without any "messing with it" from my end.

All I will say is that I am much happier with my Galaxy S4 than I was with my iPhone... YMMV, of course!

USSValor said:
I currently have an iPhone5 and it works fine on the Leaf, but I want to switch to a Droid. Am I going to lose any functionality with my Leaf if I were to switch to a Droid?

I have an iPhone5 with ios7 and a 2013 Leaf SL, Premium Package. I have never been able to use the iPhone with the Leaf, other than making calls using the bluetooth. I tried to download the app from Nissan website but was never able to sign-in to carwings. The salespeople at the dealer were no help as they knew less than me. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Graffi said:
I have an iPhone5 with ios7 and a 2013 Leaf SL, Premium Package. I have never been able to use the iPhone with the Leaf, other than making calls using the bluetooth. I tried to download the app from Nissan website but was never able to sign-in to carwings. The salespeople at the dealer were no help as they knew less than me. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
You can play music via bluetooth through the car. This works for any audio. Music, Pandora, videos, anything.
You can play music via USB through the car. I don't like this because its hard to get it to stop playing music.
You can use the LEAF app with Carwings. You sign up at https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Create an account.
Once in the account, try to add a vehicle. It will give you a userid/password that you enter through the menus in the car.
With the iPhone (or Android) LEAF app, you enter the userid and password you use on the website, not the one entered into the phone.

Graffi said:
FWIW, I've got an iPhone 5 w/iOS 7, and make calls just fine. I've also played music and podcasts over Bluetooth (just finished a podcast today, in fact and do it every week w/that phone.) I seemed to hit a bout of flakiness once upgraded to iOS 7, but that seems gone now... I think.

The Carwings iOS app works but it is somewhat flaky in terms of updating info from the car.

Mine's a '13 Leaf SV w/premium package (and QC + LED package).

have an S4 as well and no issues. i pandora, i BT, i etc. it all works. like my Moto Bionic, I cannot charge thru the USB port but not really an issue anyway. all my streaming is BT anyway

The phone really doesn't matter too much, it all depends on whether it supports AVRCP 1.3 or better.

I'm using a Galaxy Note II with Jelly'Beans' ROM (Build 21, Android 4.1.2), and it works 100%.

kubel said:
The phone really doesn't matter too much, it all depends on whether it supports AVRCP 1.3 or better.

I'm using a Galaxy Note II with Jelly'Beans' ROM (Build 21, Android 4.1.2), and it works 100%.
I think it could. Between the HUGE number of different Android phones out there (see my earlier list), I highly doubt all of them use the same Bluetooth chip and have the same quality of drivers (yes, mobile devices have device drivers). And, the quality of implementation may vary depending on the Android release and its source.

You can get a flavor for CM by Googling for site:wiki.cyanogenmod.org bluetooth "known issues".

AFAIK, over the years, even just for the iPhone, IIRC there have been many different Bluetooth chips Apple has used, depending on the model.

I had an iPhone 5 connected via cable to the USB jack and was able to play iTunes library, Spotify and Pandora through the cable. While most of my music consumption was through Spotify, I was able to use the steering wheel controls to advance tracks and see the song info displayed on my screen (2013 Leaf S - basic radio). That capability was spotty, however, and I would often lose that ability. I wasn't able to diagnose why the steering wheel connection got lost, but the songs continued to play and I got an on screen message (radio) that USB connection was lost.

I have since changed to Android (LG G2) and found out that the music will not play via connected USB and need to use the AUX headphone jack to have my phone play music / hear GPS directions, etc.

Bluetooth phone connection is just fine with both, but neither phone was able to stream bluetooth audio to the car (limitation of the Leaf S I believe).

Back