Which is the best brand of public EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

I was curios what other's opinions are on public stations.

For the longest time the only stations I had used around DF/W have been blink stations. I can make some comments about them:
  • I don't like the way the cord rolls up on the station and is supposed to lock in place.
    • Often the cord won't reach correctly to put back in the center, so I just leave it dangling.
    • The little clamp area seems to wear on the rubber shield of the cable and I've seen several that look on the verge of exposing the copper because of it. Not good.
  • The actual J1772 handles seem unusually long and clunky.
  • The screens are hard to read in the sunlight. And why should it be necessary in the first palce?
  • I hate typing in my zip-code. Isn't the RFID card good enough?
  • The units are often broken. Either the screens don't work, or the touch-screen doesn't recognize touches, or the unit says its charging but isn't really.

So having recently tried out some Aerovironment public EVSEs I can say this about them:
  • The cables are too short. I have to back my Leaf into an eVgo station in order to reach the charge port with the L2 cable. Works fine on the Volt, though.
  • I like how there is a door to protect the cable when the station is not in use, however:
    • The cable is often difficult to get in and out and do it correctly.
    • As a consequence, most of the time I drive up to one, the previous driver didn't even try to put the cable back correctly and its a big tangled mess.
    • As a consequence of that, often the door is not closed correctly because part of the cable is protruding out.
  • I like how they are simple to active. Just give it the RFID and it just turns on. No need to type in a zip-code, etc.
  • The J1772 connector still seems kind of big, but better than Blink units.

I also got my first chance to use a chargepoint station recently. Here's what I have to say about it.
  • Screen was easy to read even in daylight (compared with Blink)
  • Simple to use, just give it the card and plug it in.
  • Cable was suspended several feet above the station much like the hose at a gas station. This made it very easy to handle and fit in the car without there being any need to worry about coiling it up, or digging it out of a door, etc.
  • The J1772 handle was small and built well. In fact it used the exact same handle as the Nissan units have.

Overall I'd say the blink stations are my least favorite and the chargepoint is my favorite. I guess time will tell which ones end up being the most common style.

Very useful information, thanks! :D
Here in the deserts of Eastern Washington we don't worry about public chargers 'cause there aren't any. But we're working the issue and your report will help us. Thanks again.
Pete

Chargepoint seems to have their act together. My only complaint is that the mounting system for their pedestals probably needs to be rethought. I've run across a number of them that are loose at the base and move about. And I don't think it's from vehicle impact because some of these are protected by curbs and bollards. It's not very confidence-inspiring to handle high-power electrical cord that is attached to a pedestal that is wobbling about like a drunken sailor. I have reported these and Chargepoint does respond and repair. But it seems to me they need stronger mounting.

adric22: The J1772 handles need to be able to withstand rough treatment, like being dropped, kicked, run over, chewed on, etc. Also there is an advantage to having the "hand grip" part of a handle being further away from the live electrical pins, especially when the handle is wet and more electrically conductive. I would say the number one design priority should be safety, but I'm not suggesting the Nissan design is unsafe. We all know cost is another consideration, and it would not surprise me if the Nissan handle, although smaller, costs more to make due to a higher grade of tough, heat tolerant (and cosmetically pleasing) plastic.

On the other hand all the CHAdeMO connector/handles that I have seen are REALLY bulky and unwieldy! I hate to imagine what a connector/handle would likely look like that used, say, 10 times more power -- but then I damn sure would want it to do it safely!

I'm not disagreeing, BTW, from the thrust and value of your post, and you did mention other safety concerns.

Almost all ChargePoint around here. Haven't seen any wobbly ones, installers might have been lax. They work great and communicate well. Some have cord retraction, which I like better, some you have to coil.

There's a few AV units, cords are pretty long here, but the handles don't lock into the station so sometimes they end up on the ground in the dirt and mud and snow, very bad.

No Blink at all. May be a couple GEs or other brands, but haven't used them yet.

Closest L3 is NYC! Melbourne Austrailia, with two whole Leafs sold (2!) has DCQC, but none here? Who do we have to bribe?

I've used mostly Blink, but I've also used Chargepoint. I'd pick Chargepoint hands down. Their units are much easier to use, you can easily activate one over the phone if you need to, and many of them also have 120v circuits. They're just a better company to deal with all the way around.

All the devices around here are

1. ChargePoint
2. Westar (Electric Co with AV chargers)
3. Walgreens (SemaConnect)

All are well installed and usually open. The number of ICE'd spots seems to be dropping the more people see them in use (i'm hoping).

Never forget that Ecotality is required to collect and communicate charging statistics with their Blink units (including residential units, of course) for "The EV Project" -- I'm not sure how many other public EVSEs are burdened with doing that to some extent, but I would expect any that do have more things that can go wrong...

Best?

Clipper Creek = foolproof, fast, free, perpetual
ChargePoint = visible availability, informative display and website, reliable, fair pricing
Blink = numerous, cranky, expensive, in some excellent locations.
Aerovironment, Bosch, Eaton, GE, etc.. = In the right location, your new best charger brand :)

It’s a smorgasbord

I have only been able to use the eVgo charging stations at Walgreens. I'm still waiting for my Blink card to come. The eVgo stations seem to be easy to use, although I have only used the QC connections, not the L2. I have used four different locations so far and the QC cord is definitely too short at all of them, but not by much. I think a couple extra feet would be good. As soon as the Blink card comes I will see how those units are.

i love using public clipper creek stations. Just so simple and perfect. You literally just drive up, park, plug in and thats it. Free. Simple. Perfect. Chargepoint is my second choice, fairly easy and simple, like that i can track live data from the app on my iPhone.

The GE Wattstation (often used by Chargepoint, I think) is hard to read in sunlight, but is logistically OK. However, there is an issue with the Leaf software not being 100% compatible with them, so avoid using a Wattstation in high demand periods and thunderstorms, when power outages are a risk.

Ive used Charge Point once in Sea World and it worked nicely, with this unit I had to call in because I didn't have my Charge Point Card yet. the call went fast and easy, also this Charge Point station had the nozzle looked into the station, once you hear the Click you can remove it.

Blink L2 Stations seem to be holding up well as far as breaking down, but the nozzle seems weak and light in weight and you can really see the wear on the nozzle, Blinks DCQC seem to be having a lot of problems with their Screens and also communicating with their control center.

I currently use the eVgo Freedom stations now with their unlimited charge on a 60 day trial for 7.99, these are the stations with the Nissan Logo on the side. They have one L2 and one DCQC.

There is one eVgo Station that I had trouble getting the DCQC nozzle in but messing around with the release controls on the nozzle finally did the trick. Also on these eVgo stations if you come across one with a Red Alarm light, just hold the Stop button for a few and it will reboot or reset the station and you are able to use it then.

Fred

Back