What do I tell friends charging will cost them?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtondav

When I start visiting friends and ask to plug into their house, what do I tell them when they ask "What will that cost me on my electricity bill?"

Is there an average cost per hour?

Thanks,
Burtondav

burtondav said:

1.5 KWh for every hour that you are charging (assuming 120V using the EVSE provided with the car). How much they pay can depend on a lot of factors: location, time of day, how much did they already used. Can be as low a $0.05 to as high as $0.40 per KWh. That means from $0.075 to $0.60 per hour.

M - miles driven
R - Electricity Rate
E - Efficiency

Cost = M*R/E

Efficiency is like 3 or 4 miles/kWh depending on climate and other factors.

evnow said:
M - miles driven
R - Electricity Rate
E - Efficiency

Cost = M*R/E

Using that, I get $9 to recharge.
I think instead of miles driven, you mean efficiency. But even then, that will only give you a cost per mile.

Here's the simplest answer: Buy a Kill a Watt and plug in your friend's utility rate.

My electricity provider Baltimore Gas & Electric gives the following estimate for charging:

... the average residential rate for electricity is 14 cents per kilowatt-hour. The cost to provide eight hours of charging at Level 1 is about $1.68. The cost for six hours of Level 2 charging will be about $2.78.

mctom987 said:
evnow said:
M - miles driven
R - Electricity Rate
E - Efficiency

Cost = M*R/E

Using that, I get $9 to recharge.
I think instead of miles driven, you mean efficiency. But even then, that will only give you a cost per mile.
That equation is fine. The rate should be $/kWh.

For ex, if one drives 1,000 miles a month - with $10c/kWh

1000*0.1/4 = 100/4 = $25.

MikeD said:
~3 cents a mile.
The outlet isn't going anywhere, and they don't know how many miles you are charging, so this doesn't work.

However, at 4.3 mi/kWh, and PG&E's rates in tier 4 (which is where they will be if they use much power), about 8.6 cents/mile, or about 55 cents / hour for the included EVSE At the claimed new rates, it will be close to 7.8 cents/mile, or 50 cents / hour
to run the 120 volt trickle EVSE.

Oh, and he per mile rate not only varies with the cost of power, but how efficient your car and driving style is.

alanlarson said:
MikeD said:
~3 cents a mile.
The outlet isn't going anywhere, and they don't know how many miles you are charging, so this doesn't work.

However, at 4.3 mi/kWh, and PG&E's rates in tier 4 (which is where they will be if they use much power), about 8.6 cents/mile,
Oh, and he per mile rate not only varies with the cost of power, but how efficient your car and driving style is.
Yep.
ericsf said:
3 to 4 x less than gas.
Horrible generalization to make. It depends. See above and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155508#p155508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example. It also depends greatly on the efficiency of the ICEV one is comparing to.

camasleaf said:
burtondav said:

1.5 KWh for every hour that you are charging (assuming 120V using the EVSE provided with the car). How much they pay can depend on a lot of factors: location, time of day, how much did they already used. Can be as low a $0.05 to as high as $0.40 per KWh. That means from $0.075 to $0.60 per hour.
As high as $0.40 per kWh? How about even $0.518/kwh at http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

If you're on a Smart plan (http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergymoney/plans/smartrate/index.page?WT.mc_id=Vanity_smartrate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):
SmartRate™ gives you a discount at 3¢ per kWh on your June through September monthly rate, or the equivalent of 23% off your Tier 1 usage. In exchange, you pay a surcharge of 60¢ per kWh for your 2-7PM usage for between 9 and 15 PG&E SmartDays™, May through October
So, during those hours, if you were in the highest tier, it'd be $1.118/kWh!

cwerdna said:
alanlarson said:
MikeD said:
~3 cents a mile.

However, at 4.3 mi/kWh, and PG&E's rates in tier 4 (which is where they will be if they use much power), about 8.6 cents/mile,
Yep.
ericsf said:
3 to 4 x less than gas.
Horrible generalization to make. It depends. See above and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155508#p155508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example. It also depends greatly on the efficiency of the ICEV one is comparing to.

yes, it depends on so many factors that I give them an answer they can understand and remember.

I got the EVSE upgrade and plugged it into a killowatt and I only get 1000 watts. ??

camasleaf said:
burtondav said:

Back