What became of the "LEAF TO HOME" Power the house Kit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BEVeedom said:
It's rainy, snowing, windy, cold and the power goes out. My 24kWh Nissan leaf is plugged to the Level II charger in the garage.

Two scenarios:

1. Go unlock the shed, drag out the 5KW generator, get it to the driveway, hook it to the house, pull the rope starter, hope it runs, hope I don't cause death by CO, hope nobody steals the generator overnight, and disturb the peace. Of course, the power comes on 15 minutes later after you do all of this.

2. Notice that the neighbors lights are out and that my Leaf detected a power outage, auto transferred over to the emergency panel where I can select loads up to 7KW total and run that 7KW for 4 hours. When utility power is restored, the leaf resumes charging.

I choose scenario 2. The Leaf is a 192 battery, 360 Volt, 24 kWh powerhouse. I regularly see 20KW going back to the battery in regen mode. Who has a gen-set that big at home?

What a great perk. I could sell that for sure. C'mon Nissan. Who will the first?

as long as I had a quick charger near my house (i do) i would do it as well. but my loads would not be as much as 7 KW which is quite a bit. I would need just small stuff, fridge, a few lights. have a chest freezer that will stay cold for 2-3 days in Winter, 24 hours plus in Summer when we rarely lose power

i would definitely want to add this to make my house more independent as we have solar.
of course, the solar would still shut down, but the feeling would be of using battery storage as if we had it.

someday, if i replace the LEAF battery, i would like to use my old one for storage, if practical.

i would want to be assured that with LEAF-to-House powering, that using it for very occasional outages would not degrade the battery.

thankyouOB said:
i would definitely want to add this to make my house more independent as we have solar.
of course, the solar would still shut down, but the feeling would be of using battery storage as if we had it.

someday, if i replace the LEAF battery, i would like to use my old one for storage, if practical.

i would want to be assured that with LEAF-to-House powering, that using it for very occasional outages would not degrade the battery.

If you backfed the house electric with an isolated pure sine wave inverter, first positively disconnecting the street main, the solar would be "tricked" and would resume operation.

Another little perk

KillaWhat said:
If you backfed the house electric with an isolated pure sine wave inverter, first positively disconnecting the street main, the solar would be "tricked" and would resume operation.

Another little perk
Won't work, as your house would have to consume exactly 100% of the solar system output at all times, No more, no Less. If it's not always perfectly tracking, which is almost impossible, it will trip out. (Anti Islanding)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
KillaWhat said:

Another little perk
Won't work, as your house would have to consume exactly 100% of the solar system output at all times, No more, no Less. If it's not always perfectly tracking, which is almost impossible, it will trip out. (Anti Islanding)

-Phil

sounds like another great application for used LEAF packs

Ingineer said:
KillaWhat said:

Another little perk

-Phil
seems like that, while producing a sine wave, you need to have a battery charger than absorbs up to the power being produced (or supplements demands beyond the PV production). If the battery bank is full simply disconnect the PV.

essaunders said:
Ingineer said:
KillaWhat said:

Another little perk

-Phil
seems like that, while producing a sine wave, you need to have a battery charger than absorbs up to the power being produced (or supplements demands beyond the PV production). If the battery bank is full simply disconnect the PV.

Thanks Phil;

I guess I'm going to have to look at this further.
Thought it would produce what it produces, and if you don't demand it, it just doesn't get used.
There are inverter setups that allow for islanding, but you are correct, it needs a load.
I think the "Sunny Boy" SBU5000 will do this, and has some pretty smart control circuitry for load switching.
It basically will pump out 240AC, and also 48vdc for battery charging.
If the batteries are full, then it will draw on them for 240 generation, and shut off the PV array.
It also doesn't need a Leaf to make it work :)

Yes, a grid-intertie inverter with off-grid capability will indeed work, but you will have to have the expensive 48V battery bank. Unless you are routinely experiencing power failures, it's going to largely be a waste of money. For the "what-if" scenario, you're probably ahead if you spend the money on a generator instead.

-Phil

Back