What became of the "LEAF TO HOME" Power the house Kit?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everybody's well wishes. Fortunately we were not hit hard, just an overnight power outage. I hope that others still affected by the storm are able to get back to normal soon.

Here is a pic of my setup:
P1160625.JPG

More images available at http://goo.gl/p5SY1

The setup is basically as described earlier in this thread. Inverter positive connected to 12V battery positive through a 150A circuit breaker. Inverter negative connected to an empty hole on the chassis of the DC-DC converter. I used 2 AWG cables. Additional information and precautions are listed in this blog post.

The local media caught wind of this and aired this story on the local nightly news.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for raising and refining this idea, and especially to Phil for providing output specs on the converter!

I had an article from a friend living in Japan that over there they are selling a kit for about $5K US, so at least in Japan one is available. Transfer switch and all.

Ah, google, here is kinda what I got from my friend's translation of the article he sent me.
http://www.earthtechling.com/2012/06/nissan-leaf-home-power-back-up-system-rolls-out-in-japan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NullPointer-

Thanks for the photos and the report. I'm going to do it. We don't often lose power, but I just like the Geeky idea.

Good to hear you are back on shore power.

NullPointer - so what is the charger rating of the Leaf's 12V battery? I noted you say it'll power you fridge for just a few days. But if you charged your car to 80% it would have kept a fridge going for weeks.

I've been looking at a solution where a Solar inverter company can make a inverter to convert the high voltage DC to AC. been talking to Outback (local inverter company) in modifying one of their off grid inverters to take the battery power and convert it.

This would involve disconnecting the car's connection to the battery and connecting the inverter to it using the same locking connector on the floor between the passenger seats.

None the less - cool set up you have.

EDIT - more info
I looked over the Service Manual and found a lot of info on the DC/DC charger but not what it is rated at. I see the 12V battery has an integrated current & temperature sensor. Also it is protected by a 250A fusible link between the DC/DC charger and the battery + terminal.

Here is what I have been able to find. I guess you left the car "ON" so the DC/DC charger was working?

Once the power switch is turned ON to OFF, the 12V battery automatic charge control does not start for approximately 1 hour.

CONTROL DESCRIPTION
The battery current sensor (with battery temperature sensor) measures the battery charge/discharge current and the battery ambient temperature. The VCM judges the battery status and the use status of electric equipment based on those signals, determines a target output voltage, and transmits a target DC/DC output power signal to the DC/DC converter. The DC/DC converter adjusts the output voltage to the target power generation voltage based on the received target DC/DC output power signal.

250A Fusible link battery terminal

AUTOMATIC 12V BATTERY CHARGE CONTROL DESCRIPTION
The automatic 12V battery charge control is a control to reduce the frequency of battery discharge by automatically charging the 12V battery in case the 12V battery voltage is low when the key switch is turned to ON or the vehicle is left unattended for a long time. When VCM judges a need for automatic charge, VCM controls the DC/DC converter and the system main relay and charges the 12V battery using the Li-ion battery power.

CONTROL DESCRIPTION
Power ON
VCM monitors the 12V battery voltage during POWER ON cycle and immediately starts charging when VCM judges that the voltage is lowered.
NOTE: VCM does not perform the automatic 12V battery charge control when the shift position is in a range other than “P” range.
When Vehicle is Not Used for A Long Time
VCM measures the time of no operation using its internal timer. If the time of no operation reaches 120 hours,
VCM performs automatic charge for 5 minutes.
VCM resets the no operation status continuous time when the vehicle satisfies one of the following conditions.
• READY continues for more than 5 minutes.
• Normal charge continues for more than 5 minutes.
• Quick charge continues for more than 5 minutes.
• Timer air conditioning or remote air conditioning continues for more than 5 minutes.
NOTE:
• During automatic 12V battery charge, the charging status indicator blinks.
• The automatic 12V battery charge control does not start within approximately one hour when the power switch is turned ON/OFF.

mrradon said:
I looked over the Service Manual and found a lot of info on the DC/DC charger but not what it is rated at.
Several posts back (page 3), Ingineer Phil reported the DC to DC converter was capable of about 1.7 kW, 135 Amps.

mrradon said:
I noted you say it'll power you fridge for just a few days. But if you charged your car to 80% it would have kept a fridge going for weeks.
I guess you left the car "ON" so the DC/DC charger was working?

Yes, I left the car on ("Ready") so that the DC-DC converter was on, holding the accessory battery at 13V, and supplying power to the inverter.

My fridge draws about 2 kWh over one full day, but others have posted that the Leaf uses a few hundred watts in Ready mode to run the converter, cooling system, dash and other accessories. I charged to full before the outage and after 8 hours the dash had gone down to 11 bars, and the GOM from 100 to 90 miles. Based on this info my guess is that I could have powered the fridge continuously for maybe 3 days. Certainly if I unplugged the fridge and re-powered it only every few hours, this could have been extended longer.

mrradon said:
This would involve disconnecting the car's connection to the battery and connecting the inverter to it using the same locking connector on the floor between the passenger seats.
I may be wrong but I doubt this will work. I believe that this connector is in series between one side of the battery and the car's HV wiring. To do what you want, you need a connection to both sides of the battery.

In addition, I believe the high-voltage relays are inside the battery pack and will only close under command of the BMS.

I'm not saying that you cannot tip into the HV battery, just that this connector won't do the job.

Forgot about that. Looks like the correct connector would be the one on the front in the engine bay, and you are correct the batter J/B would have to close the contacts.

Could you post a parts list? Also, would it be easier to have an Andersen connector on the battery/ chassis so that the whole thing could be hooked up at the last second? Ingineer, perhaps this is an additional setup you could test and sell? (Hint hint)

The Leaf to an AC power outlet should be a lot easier. Nissan's current setup is way overbuilt and too expensive (and ridiculously not available in the US). Having the leaf be a portable power source in general (or emergency PS) would be a big selling point. Portable power source, bring it n Nissan.

Herm said:
NullPointer said:
My fridge draws about 2 kWh over one full day...

Energy star ratings for a big fridge are around $60 electric cost per year, or about 1.4kWh a day.

Yeah, our Energy Star fridge runs about 200 Watts when it's on, but that's only about 1/2 the time or so. So 1.4 kWh/day sounds about right.

EVDrive said:
The Leaf to an AC power outlet should be a lot easier. Nissan's current setup is way overbuilt and too expensive (and ridiculously not available in the US). . . . . . . . . snip
I Duno ... not so rediculous .... what is Japan - 100 volts - 50hz? Good luck with that. :D

hill said:
EVDrive said:
The Leaf to an AC power outlet should be a lot easier. Nissan's current setup is way overbuilt and too expensive (and ridiculously not available in the US). . . . . . . . . snip
I Duno ... not so rediculous .... what is Japan - 100 volts - 50hz? Good luck with that. :D
Actually, ~50% of Japan is on 50Hz and the rest is 60Hz (all 100V/200V). The history is that part of the country imported its first generators from Europe and another part from the USA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Japan#Electricity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I have to assume that Nissan's unit will work wither either frequency. It would have to be adjusted for 120V/240V but I'd also assume that this would be not hard. I'd think a bigger hurdle would be legal, electrical codes and such.

Bump. Anyone hear more news on Leaf to Home availability in the US? I am almost considering jumping on a plane to bring one home. :( I understand it is only available from the dealer. Is there a waiting list? I am assuming you need to pre-order. Anyone have one and can share the purchasing procedure?

TickTock said:
Bump. Anyone hear more news on Leaf to Home availability in the US? I am almost considering jumping on a plane to bring one home. :( I understand it is only available from the dealer. Is there a waiting list? I am assuming you need to pre-order. Anyone have one and can share the purchasing procedure?

nothing and surprised we have not heard of a 3rd party product yet. as i understand it, the Japanese Nissan option is pretty spendy

TickTock said:
From what I read, your car also needs a firmware update to make CHAdeMO bidirectional. Sorry don't have a link in front of me, and it was a Japanese site.

I'm not so sure the box is capable of being "adjusted" to 240v. The charging side may just be two Nichicon OBCs which should be fine, but the inverter is anyone's guess. Worst case is needing a 200v-240v step up transformer.

Good luck on your quest, TickTock! :mrgreen: I too really want to see leaf to home system come to the states. I think Andy Palmer was a bit shocked as to how many owners raised their hands when he asked if there was any interest at the Phoenix meeting. I hope he takes our desire for it seriously.

It's rainy, snowing, windy, cold and the power goes out. My 24kWh Nissan leaf is plugged to the Level II charger in the garage.

Two scenarios:

1. Go unlock the shed, drag out the 5KW generator, get it to the driveway, hook it to the house, pull the rope starter, hope it runs, hope I don't cause death by CO, hope nobody steals the generator overnight, and disturb the peace. Of course, the power comes on 15 minutes later after you do all of this.

2. Notice that the neighbors lights are out and that my Leaf detected a power outage, auto transferred over to the emergency panel where I can select loads up to 7KW total and run that 7KW for 4 hours. When utility power is restored, the leaf resumes charging.

I choose scenario 2. The Leaf is a 192 battery, 360 Volt, 24 kWh powerhouse. I regularly see 20KW going back to the battery in regen mode. Who has a gen-set that big at home?

What a great perk. I could sell that for sure. C'mon Nissan. Who will the first?

Back