Was the solar panel a factor in your purchase?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Etec version refers to the fact that if you applied for and got the grant for the no-cost charger and installation, you HAD to have the SL version. So basically, you're getting the value of the charger at no cost and paying more for the SL version. Overall, at least in my market, you're ahead by going this route.

And NO, the PV module was NOT the main reason to upgrade. Getting the "free" charger and the QC was #1 for me. The backup cam seemed like a novelty to me, but I also have really come to like it, especially when backing into some parking spaces which have rocks, bushes, or other nuisances to avoid.

FairwoodRed said:
Thanks for all the replies. Our small sample results are vastly different than Nissan's. I wonder why that is?
Most likely because MNL's regular posters are not representative of LEAF buyers as a whole.

If one doesn't park in the sun that often, the solar panel won't do much good. However, we average 300 sunny days per year where I live, and it might prove useful to keep the aux battery topped off.

I would be much more sold on the panel if it were a bit larger and not only trickle charged the aux battery, but also ran a small fan to vent hot air from inside the car when parked in the sun, similar to the solar vents used on sailboats:

51MJirGPapL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nope. The solar doesn't factor a single iota. I got the SL simply because of the QC. I have a feeling the author of the article was doing an imaginary poll of leaf owners. :)

As mosted stated the solar panel was really more of a "coolness" factor and really didn't make my choice for an SL. The QC port was my #1 factor (especially when we have one QC charger here in Dallas aready and more to come with eVgo), backup camera was second.

Although, when I went to drive events, etc. The reps always told me to solar panel was only there to recouperate the additional electrical load from the additional accessories with the SL package (fog lights, homelink, backup cam, etc.). Knowing how little output most of these things are, it actually makes some sense when explained like that. But, that load of the battery really isn't that big, so there was little need to recoup their power cost. Anyways, it was never advertised to me as a significant load reduction to the electronics or increase in range.

rawhog said:
OK. I'll admit it. I was being facetious. I knew what etec meant.
It's accurate. That's what it said on my order and my sticker. Specifying it that way communicates a lot of detail without having to explain here on the board.

The PV panel wasn't a factor at all for me. The main draw for the SL-e was the free QC port, backup cam, Homelink, auto headlights, and cargo cover.

LEAFfan said:
The PV panel wasn't a factor at all for me. The main draw for the SL-e was the free QC port, backup cam, Homelink, auto headlights, and cargo cover.

Ditto here. As drees mentioned earlier, if the PV ran the fan to help keep the interior cool on sunny days, then it might have more appeal to me.

I still think a large Faux stick-on solar cell graphic would be a lot of fun.. think of all the conversations that would get started.. you could then repeat several times the car uses no gas at all!

It certainly wasn't a factor for me, but then neither were any of the other features. I thought they were all silliness, so I ordered an SV. Someone at Nissan NA got confused by an email I sent them and upgraded me to an SL-e, delaying my order by two months in the process. I paid the extra just to avoid being delayed for another two months. But I took off the cargo cover and stored it in the garage, I've never used the HomeLink or QC or fog lights, and I always turn my headlights on and off manually.
That leaves the solar panel, which I doubt has ever done any good for me, and the backup camera, which I must admit to my surprise I am finding I do like. It's not worth $1000, but then I probably would have lost $2500 in CA rebate if I had insisted on going back to the SV.

Ray

I have to admit that the solar panel wasn't even on my radar scope. Like several others. I got the SL model by default by participating in the EV Project. Free is a good price :)

Having said that, I have come to love the backup camera, cargo cover and Homelink. So in hindsight, I would spend the $1000 difference in a heartbeat as those features are very desirable and IMHO worth the extra cost.

For us there is a different reason altogether for getting the SL. When we were investigating the LEAF the info from Nissan said that they would only be producing a limited number of the stripped down version. We didn't want to have anything slow down our getting a LEAF so we went with the SL and got #404.

HIOJim said:
I have to admit that the solar panel wasn't even on my radar scope. Like several others. I got the SL model by default by participating in the EV Project. Free is a good price :)

Having said that, I have come to love the backup camera, cargo cover and Homelink. So in hindsight, I would spend the $1000 difference in a heartbeat as those features are very desirable and IMHO worth the extra cost.

No decision required of me as I was in EVProject.
I am with Jim. I liked the idea of the panel but upon investigation found it to be pretty much a gimmick, especially as work has indoor parking.
Homelink is not applicable but the backup camera turns out to be wonderful.

I wanted to be able to order QC. I wanted the cargo cover. I've always liked my car to have fog lamps. Since getting the car, I'm glad it has the rear camera. The auto on/off headlamps I don't care about, and the solar panel is only marginally beneficial in my eyes.

planet4ever said:
It certainly wasn't a factor for me, but then neither were any of the other features. I thought they were all silliness, so I ordered an SV.
+1

I really only cared about the QC port, and I did not appreciate that it was not offered as an option on the SV. From the rest of the features, I could only use the rear-view camera, which was again not offered as an option on the SV. That being said, I still got the SV.

I love what one Leafer said it told people about the solar panel. He told them that when the sun came up in the east he could drive west as far as he wanted, but that when the sun started setting in the afternoon he had to turn around and start heading back east to catch the sun, and then could then drive until the sun went down. ;) . Sounded like some of them believed him at the beginning.

Back