Volt battery fires investigated -- links to stories

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it would seem the problem was reproducible in two of the three subsequent tests.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-25/gm-volt-is-target-of-formal-u-s-probe-after-two-more-batteries-catch-fire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Volt battery packs were damaged in three more tests last week, causing two fires, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said yesterday in a statement on its website."

My question is how are they getting the packs to ignite so soon after a crash now? The first one took weeks to burn.

TRONZ said:
My question is how are they getting the packs to ignite so soon after a crash now? The first one took weeks to burn.

They are crashing the packs by themselves now, without a car for protection.

TomT said:
As with most everything that is necessarily a compromise, we now see one of the possible negative side effects of liquid battery cooling in an EV...
Unfortunately, the public (and many "journalists") will likely equate this to all EVs and say, "See, I told you so, they are unsafe!"

I find it odd how you can find it unfortunate that the public will use this specific incident to describe a general safety issue with EVs when you just did the same thing (using this articular issue to describe a safety issue with all liquid cooling).

It is possible you are correct. But I think it more likely it is an engineering/design issue. Which may very well be specific to the Volt.

Out of all the EVs so far I prefer Nissan pack approach the most for two reasons. Modular - separate cheaper packs lessen replacement costs and KISS - keep it simple.

There are definitely advantages to keeping it simple. That is one of the many reasons I like electric motors so much more than ICEs.
However, I do have some concern over the longevity of the packs. Time will tell and I look forward to seeing what Nissan and all the other auto makers have available whenn my current lease runs out.

Herm said:
TRONZ said:

OK, that's just stupid! Its not a highway issue then, it's a UL issue. Everyone knows if you intentionally compromise the integrity of battery cells they can short and cause a fire. I would assume they are then pumping coolant into the damaged pack for good measure as well. Gosh, we had a "thermal event"!. Go figure.

If they are deliberately trying to get packs to ignite, then they need to state that this was their objective. Testing to destruction is fine as long as people understand destruction, fire in this case, was the objective.

thankyouOB said:
UPDATE-SEE it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/business/gm-declares-chevy-volt-safe.html?hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you edit the title to make it less ... hmmm .... inflammatory ?

evnow said:
thankyouOB said:
UPDATE-SEE it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/29/business/gm-declares-chevy-volt-safe.html?hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can you edit the title to make it less ... hmmm .... inflammatory ?

I agree... and that's from a guy that might bring marshmallows.

Herm said:
Some of the stories were unclear but it seems the pack was removed after the crash and then rotated to "simulate" a rollover? It would seem to me that removing a battery pack from a car that is smashed like that would be difficult and dangerous.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=chevrolet+volt+fire+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"battery+pack"+removed

Gas car fires happen all the time but there's lots of history so people (and insurance companies) know the odds.

EVs are a mystery, whatever the cause, will it be 1 in a million or 1 in 10 that suffers this fate? Just like the battery lifespan, much will be learned over the coming years as these products are put in the hands of consumers, first the tens then hundreds of thousands, and many billions of miles of usage accumulate.

On a positive note, it seems the Leaf has come out on top regarding the Volt fires:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203833104577072823183908422.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" . . . . GM is working to address the issue that caused sparks or fires in three battery packs. The company is weighing whether to redesign the battery pack. One option may be a sturdier casing around the battery similar to the way Nissan's Leaf is built, according to people familiar with the situation. . . . "
I duno - for some reason, it just sounds funny to me . . . GM admitting after the fact, that they should have manufactured their battery (enclosure/area) like Nissan did.

This story exemplifies why there should be quite a bit of camaraderie with all type of car owners that plug in and mainly drive on electricity.

Hysteria Over Chevy Volt Fires Motivated by Politics
By Tom Moloughney · December 16, 2011

http://www.plugincars.com/car-fires-recals-and-politics.html

We all knew it was going to happen, yet it’s still hard to watch the media blow the Chevy Volt fires out of proportion. I knew the first incident involving a fire with an electric car was going to be in the news and give EV-naysayers all they need to say: “See, I told you these cars aren’t safe.”

I’m not saying the Volt doesn’t need to be looked at and have GM correct whatever caused the fires, because it does. But let’s put things into perspective. These fires were one to three weeks after the cars were crash tested by the NHTSA. They didn’t burst into flames while people were driving them, like you might assume what happened given the amount of attention this is getting.

For the past couple weeks, I’ve been greeted by dozens of friends, relatives and customers at my restaurant that have asked me if my car was also recalled, and wondering if I’m still as supportive of electric cars like I was before I realized how dangerous they all are. I want to congratulate the media. They really doing a great job of spreading the FUD on this one. Then, they combine the fires with talk about the sluggish sales and how they only sold 8,000 Volts this year. Of course, they fail to mention that just like the Nissan LEAF, about every one made has been sold or is being used as a demonstration unit. You can’t sell what you don’t have.

Don't Yell Fire on a Crowded Highway
<snip>

About the author - Tom Moloughney
Tom recently completed his 2nd year of being in BMW's MINI-E trial lease program. This fall when the MINI-E program ends, he'll turn it in for a BMW ActiveE which he'll drive for 24 months. So far he's logged over 65,000 miles on his MINI-E, the most miles of any of the 612 MINI-E's that were made. In doing so, Tom has helped to disprove that myth that a 100 mile BEV is only good for short ...

Pls use the following thread for all Volt fire related posts.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locking the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back