Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
IEVS:
Consumer Reports Doesn't Have Much Good To Say About The VW ID.4

https://insideevs.com/news/493565/consumer-reports-doesnt-good-things-vw-id4/

ABG:
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 First Drive Review | A new electric personality for VW

Mainstream approach seems right, but will it get lost in the shuffle?

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/03/09/2021-vw-id4-first-drive-review/

Alex from Alex on autos did his initial review and I watched it yesterday.

He seemed to like it, with a Big few complaints:
-The Map and Software needs updating. It would direct you to slower, non EA chargers, making a much slower route.
-No plug and charge on their own network (EA), while Ford MachE somehow DOES.

Minor issues:
-No Frunk
-No Cooled Seats
-Window Buttons

For me, I've pretty much decided to trade in my 2018 Leaf toward the end of the year when deals are good. I'll certainly be looking at the ID4, as I can easily live with those issues, and it will be better than my Leaf. But it will depend on what kind of deal, if any, I could get.

EE also kind of panned the ID4, which was a surprise to me. MachE on the other hand is continuing to get rave reviews. No, not as efficient as a Tesla, but if the slight power cost difference doesn't matter to you, everything else is very good, and it's 10K+ less than a Y all things considered.

I think Ionic 5 looks amazing too, but not available yet.

Ariya I worry will be arriving late to the party, and without much of a differentiator to the other crossover EVs.

And it does look like some are trading out of their Teslas for the other entrants, which I didn not expect so soon.

On the SW thing; I know someone who is getting one so he has followed VW very closely and SW updates to address lag supposedly already completed and implemented. I am still up the air about relying on a touchscreen to do a whole lot. I can live with sitting in garage and tippy tapping away before taking off but doing that while on the road could be tedious for me. I am not able to get away with that kind of stuff like I used to when I was young and dumb.

DaveinOlyWA said:
On the SW thing; I know someone who is getting one so he has followed VW very closely and SW updates to address lag supposedly already completed and implemented. I am still up the air about relying on a touchscreen to do a whole lot. I can live with sitting in garage and tippy tapping away before taking off but doing that while on the road could be tedious for me. I am not able to get away with that kind of stuff like I used to when I was young and dumb.

I agree with you. I love a big screen for the dashboard, and a big screen for android auto or native maps, but I still like physical buttons.
Having to go through a touch screen to do basic stuff is annoying. What's wrong with old fashioned heated seat buttons ? Etc.

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I agree with you. I love a big screen for the dashboard, and a big screen for android auto or native maps, but I still like physical buttons.
Having to go through a touch screen to do basic stuff is annoying. What's wrong with old fashioned heated seat buttons ? Etc.

Yep. I want controls I can handle w/o looking or a simple "placement" glance. Touchscreens don't allow that and eventually wear out. Compare the cost of replacing a knob or button against the entire touchscreen...

Now the seat heater thing? I am ok with. Its a control I would only turn on at the beginning of the drive and not turn off. In fact, my seat heater went on in November and has only been off one time. Eventually it will go off around late April or so and stay that way until Nov. but still doesn't address screen issues

DaveinOlyWA said:
In fact, my seat heater went on in November and has only been off one time. Eventually it will go off around late April or so and stay that way until Nov. but still doesn't address screen issues
Which is why I like the seat heater to be a physical button. The damn steering wheel heater with it's soft button frequently goes off by itself :x
I'll be driving the Leaf in the cold and all the sudden realize my steering wheel is cold! I didn't turn it off, I really never do in the winter but for whatever reason, the Leaf likes to periodically turn it off, as if to say, are you sure you want it on? Both my '12 and '13 periodically turn off the steering wheel heater, the seat heater never goes off, unless I turn it off.
I can see this operation on something like a rear window defogger as they frequently do but not the steering wheel heater.

DaveinOlyWA said:
danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Yep. I want controls I can handle w/o looking or a simple "placement" glance. Touchscreens don't allow that and eventually wear out. Compare the cost of replacing a knob or button against the entire touchscreen...

Now the seat heater thing? I am ok with. Its a control I would only turn on at the beginning of the drive and not turn off. In fact, my seat heater went on in November and has only been off one time. Eventually it will go off around late April or so and stay that way until Nov. but still doesn't address screen issues

Even in the winter I turn the seat heaters on and of several time per day because of where I live. So I don't want to have to dive into the touchscreen each time. Mornings I'll have them on high, lunch off, and often evenings on low, but weather can mess with that as well. Or I'll start on high and goto low or off after a few minutes. Not cold enough here I guess.

I'm sure the 'gee whiz' factor of a touch screen is a selling point but I'd guess a bigger part is the cost. One touch screen can replace a lot of switches, dials, etc and one screen can fit in multiple cars. It simplifies the dash construction reduces the number of parts to stock and assemble.

jjeff said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
In fact, my seat heater went on in November and has only been off one time. Eventually it will go off around late April or so and stay that way until Nov. but still doesn't address screen issues
Which is why I like the seat heater to be a physical button. The damn steering wheel heater with it's soft button frequently goes off by itself :x
I'll be driving the Leaf in the cold and all the sudden realize my steering wheel is cold! I didn't turn it off, I really never do in the winter but for whatever reason, the Leaf likes to periodically turn it off, as if to say, are you sure you want it on? Both my '12 and '13 periodically turn off the steering wheel heater, the seat heater never goes off, unless I turn it off.
I can see this operation on something like a rear window defogger as they frequently do but not the steering wheel heater.

Yeah, I agree with a caveat; Steering wheel heater should be a high low option!

I basically created the habit of flipping it off and on every 29ish mins to keep it on. Occasionally, I miss it but it doesn't happen often.

goldbrick said:
I'm sure the 'gee whiz' factor of a touch screen is a selling point but I'd guess a bigger part is the cost. One touch screen can replace a lot of switches, dials, etc and one screen can fit in multiple cars. It simplifies the dash construction reduces the number of parts to stock and assemble.

Yeah BUT...all the advantage goes to the manufacturer. The "single point of failure" model is a great cost cutting move...for them.

It is interesting to see the reviews coming in for the ID4.

There seems to be quite the split. A number think it's underpowered and a miss for VW.

But then others like Kyle from Out of Spec ( and Inside EVs) think it's great.

I do think Kyle has a point, that performance is over hyped. Many people really don't care about 0 to 60. I'm one. If it has descent passing power, that's good enough. One reason I still haven't seriously considered tesla (other than my way off truck reservation) is I want range without paying for performance.

And while on paper the MachE charges at a higher max rate, Kyle found the ID4 overall charges faster with a better charging curve. I've also seen a few complaints that the ID4 was only achieving 3 mi / kWh on the highways... but that's only slightly worse than my 2018 leaf. (I get right around 3.1 to 3.3 on true highway/ freeway driving. Ymmv)

Hopefully VW updates their buggy head unit and optimizes their route finder because those truly are poor.

Still I think Kyle is mostly correct. The ID4 isn't targeted for tesla buyers, it's targeted at the rest. But are the rest ready and out shopping for an EV?

As a reminder, for those interested or curious enough, be sure to check the map halfway down https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_home_vw to see if it's coming to your area.

My test drive appointment is in about a week. I'm just curious. Chance of me buying or leasing one of these is near 0.

cwerdna said:
As a reminder, for those interested or curious enough, be sure to check the map halfway down https://www.id4roadshow.com/event_home_vw to see if it's coming to your area.

My test drive appointment is in about a week. I'm just curious. Chance of me buying or leasing one of these is near 0.

Same here. My drive is on tax day. Will be fun to check it out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

Same here. My drive is on tax day. Will be fun to check it out.
Tax day or normal/former tax day? Federal income tax deadline for individuals has been extended to May 17th...

Back