Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Anyone else notice that the ID-4 has the Gen II Leaf's body? VW copied the Leaf, at least in exterior lines. If VW can make the Leaf into a CUV, then why can't Nissan?

They did... its currently incognito as "Ariya"

All things being equal (which BTW isn't reality) VW would have to be a notch above for me to consider them. I think they got off way too easy on the Dieselgate scandal and after the taste trump left in my mouth on the benefits of the privileged, VW simply has that much more to overcome.

Right now there are too many options out there for this vehicle to be compelling. I like more options but that only means more things to reject...

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
Anyone else notice that the ID-4 has the Gen II Leaf's body? VW copied the Leaf, at least in exterior lines. If VW can make the Leaf into a CUV, then why can't Nissan?

If they gave the Ariya no cargo area with the rear seats up, then it isn't really a CUV. It's a bloated Leaf with an AWD option.

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

If they gave the Ariya no cargo area with the rear seats up, then it isn't really a CUV. It's a bloated Leaf with an AWD option.

Ok, so looks like we need to define CUV and how the Bolt qualifies. Would it be ride height, aspect ratio, or simply marketing? I personally don't consider the Bolt a CUV but it seems to be much more popular than I would have expected it to be. But the Bolt isn't alone in that regard. Maybe we need to add an UCUV (ultracompact) or MUV (mini) :lol:

LeftieBiker said:
I agree that the Bolt is not a CUV. It's a bloody hatchback.
Hatchback for sure, but so is the Prius 'V' and some Ford Focus cars and other 'station wagons.'. I think of the Bolt as a subset of hatchbacks, notable for being tall. If they are also long then I lump them into the CUV category

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
Hatchback for sure, but so is the Prius 'V' and some Ford Focus cars and other 'station wagons.'. I think of the Bolt as a subset of hatchbacks, notable for being tall. If they are also long then I lump them into the CUV category

Taller = small minivan

As far as I’m concerned every CUV and Xover is just a minivan with less utility

rmay635703 said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Taller = small minivan
As far as I’m concerned every CUV and Xover is just a minivan with less utility
I accept CUVs as cars, whereas a minivan is a a boat with 4 wheels attached. :p

The European minivans from decades ago that started all this were often very car-like. Chrysler's reinterpretation of the idea certainly offered a lot of interior space, but it did start a trend toward houseboat-like vehicles.

IEVS:
Nextmove Discovers Heat Pump On VW ID.3 Makes It Less Efficient

https://insideevs.com/news/460193/nextmove-heat-pump-vw-id3-less-efficient/

Volkswagen claims that it will be sorted out with future updates. What about the software fix?. . . .

Nextmove got in touch with Volkswagen to ask for explanations. The electric car rental company claims to have provided all testing conditions. Regardless of that, Volkswagen replied that it could not comment because it did not have that information.

What Volkswagen did offer was the information that its heat pump could be in “Dehumididy [Sic.] Mode” instead of “Heat Mode.” It also said that a longer range in the winter is achievable with the equipment and that it is working to improve “climate efficiency” in its products.

That made Stefan Moeller – the owner of Nextmove – say in the video that he believes this is another of the ID.3 issues that will be fixed with updates. We just wonder if this is something the OS fix has addressed or if it is something further updates will handle.

Another situation the tests identified was that the ID.3 always uses the energy in its own battery pack to warm it up even if the car is still plugged into a power outlet or a charger. In other words, you will not manage to save range if you preheat the battery pack in cold weather. Under the current circumstances, that would only be beneficial by preserving battery health in the long term.

Volkswagen also replied to this situation and gave Moeller the same answer it gave for the heat pump issue: a software update will sort this out. In fact, Volkswagen referred to “the upcoming software update.”

Considering this video was published on December 9 but probably shot a lot earlier, it’s not unlikely that the operating system update announced on December 7 has solved all these situations. Nextmove itself pointed 22 bugs the ID.3 had and the reason for that: Volkswagen was trying to avoid a CO2 emissions fine by releasing the EV before it should.

The German EV rental company will probably do the tests again as soon as its cars receive that new OS. . . .

cwerdna said:
https://www.id4roadshow.com/ is having test drive events around the US.

Kudos to VW for including a non CAFE state like mine, not sure it would be our next vehicle but on paper, it looks pretty nice.
We still can't order Hyundai or Kia's EVs in my state :x
edit-non CARB state like mine.

^^^
I'm guessing you mean (CARB: California Air Resources Board) emission states. CAFE is Federal: https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy.

cwerdna said:
^^^
I'm guessing you mean (CARB: California Air Resources Board) emission states. CAFE is Federal: https://www.nhtsa.gov/laws-regulations/corporate-average-fuel-economy.
Yes, you are correct, when I just now looked up a list of CARB states, indeed those states are the ones that have the EV/PHEV vehicles that are not available in my state. It always throws me off as I know CARB stands for California and CAFE is federal and has to do with fuel economy but I was thinking it was the fuel economy my state was against, turns out its basically clean air, well at least when clean air would impinge upon what large inefficient vehicles people could drive in my state!
Actually, there has been some talk about MN joining the CARB states but I'll believe it when I see it. We are a blue state but driving around it's hard to believe.

2/26/2021 Wall Street Journal Rumble Seat:
"Volkswagen ID.4: Should Tesla Worry About This New Electric Rival?
Probably not. Volkswagen’s first EV for the global market is long on curb appeal, light-footed among its competitive set—but comes up a bit short in engineering design, writes Dan Neil"

LeftieBiker said:
I think that NY is a CARB state mainly because no one knows what the acronym means, and it sounds gasoline-y.

:D Well thats a bit of a "4 barrel" view :D

On a lighter note; I am scheduled for a test drive on tax day. Should be interesting

Bouldergramp said:
2/26/2021 Wall Street Journal Rumble Seat:
"Volkswagen ID.4: Should Tesla Worry About This New Electric Rival?
Probably not. Volkswagen’s first EV for the global market is long on curb appeal, light-footed among its competitive set—but comes up a bit short in engineering design, writes Dan Neil"

Same article without the paywall, although it appears to have been translated and then re-translated (Tesla 'Mannequin Y' indeed :lol: ): https://www.onlineev.com/volkswagen-id-4-should-tesla-worry-about-this-new-electric-rival/

IEVS:
VW ID.4 Goes 190 Miles in Car & Driver Highway Test, Tesla Model Y Hits 220

https://insideevs.com/news/491021/vw-id4-drives-190-miles-highway-test/

Different days. ID.4 test temp 40 deg. F, Mod. Y 75 deg. F. ID.4 managed 76% of its combined (250 mile) EPA range, Mod. Y only 67% (326), much of which is undoubtedly due to Tesla's use of the 5 vice 2-cycle test regime.

Link to C&D article:

https://www-caranddriver-com.cdn.am...s/a35633671/2021-volkswagen-id4-range-tested/

Back