TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the key there is your "average car". What is the comparison vs. A Rav4 with lane assist (or a Leaf SV/SL)? Guessing those numbers/deltas close considerably. Ant new car could be shown to be well above the average....except for maybe the Dodge Hellcat.

johnlocke said:
I would admit that there is a a bias in that Tesla only picks drivers for FSD that meet their standards.
I think any Tesla with FSD can engage for highway driving. The thing is though, drivers will presumably not use FSD in situations they are not confident in its abilities, and/or disengage if they think it is not advisable.

The small group of chosen FSD drivers is for the latest beta and IIRC is for non highway driving.

SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:
I would admit that there is a a bias in that Tesla only picks drivers for FSD that meet their standards.
I think any Tesla with FSD can engage for highway driving. The thing is though, drivers will presumably not use FSD in situations they are not confident in its abilities, and/or disengage if they think it is not advisable.

The small group of chosen FSD drivers is for the latest beta and IIRC is for non highway driving.
The real FSD is only available to qualified Tesla owners who meet Tesla's standards. Active safety features (Active cruise control, lane keeping, anti-collision braking, traction control, etc.) are available to all drivers. These are similar to the features found on most new cars today. Tesla actively monitors FSD users and has been known to drop those that don't meet their qualifications. Anyone can buy FSD but only qualified drivers actually get the full package including the "beta software". Otherwise, you get a cut down version with only the "proven features". For instance active lane change is included as is stop sign and traffic light recognition but city driving is not unless you have access to the "beta" version. The features available improve with each release and sooner or later Tesla will have a completed release.

All of this doesn't change the fact that Tesla's have a remarkably better safety record than most other cars.

johnlocke said:
The real FSD is only available to qualified Tesla owners who meet Tesla's standards.
There is no such thing as "real" FSD. It is certainly not language used by Tesla. The most recent beta, restricted to those drivers approved by Tesla, allows autonomous but supervised city driving in addition to the FSD suite open to all owners of FSD

SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:
The real FSD is only available to qualified Tesla owners who meet Tesla's standards.
There is no such thing as "real" FSD. It is certainly not language used by Tesla. The most recent beta, restricted to those drivers approved by Tesla, allows autonomous but supervised city driving in addition to the FSD suite open to all owners of FSD

I see the term FSD city used from time to time. Not sure if that is catching on or not. We have FSD. Not the “city” version. FSD works well for us although it’s level 2 do needs constant supervision. We use probably 90 percent of the time. Even in the city. We just disengage if we have to make a turn. Nice to have a second set of eyes (in this case) making sure I don’t miss a stop sign or stop light.

Cheers.

I think at the end of the day - the crux of someone's outlook on Tesla is whether or not you view Tesla as a automaker or a tech company.

Based on the reaction to Tesla's earnings call - there's less buy in on the idea that Tesla is more tech company than automaker.

For a company that per Musk's statements is just around the corner from cracking Level 4 autonomy, and promised a million robo-taxis on the road previously - it's rather interesting that one competitor Waymo is already doing Robo-taxis in Phoenix and Cruise just started robo-taxi rides, but Tesla is apparently unable to with their current tech. Tesla is either underreporting the capabilities for legally dubious and unethical reasons surrounding testing (https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2021/09/william-widen-philip-koopman-autonomous-vehicles/)

or they have a largely vaporware product with a testing process that doesn't appear at face value to have much value. (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-owners-face-it-you-are-not-testing-full-self-driving-177109.html).

Time will tell, but given Musk's grandiose promises of "next year" since 2014 - I think other companies are going to make more progress and create a lot of scrutiny on those FSD claims if Tesla can't produce the product they've been charging $8-12k for. (and not crediting it towards trade in value at that).

As the market starts to get crowded this year and in the future and Tesla continues to A) focus on Enron-esque products they don't have the capability to make like Tesla-bot, and B) fail to release new models it will end up creating an adverse effect on the demand for their products - especially if they continue with their current quality control issues. It will hit the point their small service center footprint won't be able to handle the demand for fixing things that ought to have been caught at the factory. Checker and AMC are cautionary tales of keeping the same product too long and having too many misses with new products. I don't think OTA updates, no matter how innovative are enough - especially when other companies are starting to do the same.

The gleam of Cybertruck is already gone now that other companies are making pickup trucks and delivering them and eventually people are going to want those deposits back while they purchase products that exist. Similarly, Semi is a lot less revolutionary once you learn that Freightliner and Peterbilt are already delivering trucks and companies like TuSimple are demonstrating actual tests where they have autonomous class 8 trucks driving down the highway.

Tesla has a sizable lead that's theirs to lose if they don't focus on the fundamentals and chase vaporware products rather than doubling down on quality and product roll-outs.

gcrouse said:
I think at the end of the day - the crux of someone's outlook on Tesla is whether or not you view Tesla as a automaker or a tech company.

Based on the reaction to Tesla's earnings call - there's less buy in on the idea that Tesla is more tech company than automaker.

For a company that per Musk's statements is just around the corner from cracking Level 4 autonomy, and promised a million robo-taxis on the road previously - it's rather interesting that one competitor Waymo is already doing Robo-taxis in Phoenix and Cruise just started robo-taxi rides, but Tesla is apparently unable to with their current tech. Tesla is either underreporting the capabilities for legally dubious and unethical reasons surrounding testing (https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2021/09/william-widen-philip-koopman-autonomous-vehicles/)

or they have a largely vaporware product with a testing process that doesn't appear at face value to have much value. (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-owners-face-it-you-are-not-testing-full-self-driving-177109.html).

Time will tell, but given Musk's grandiose promises of "next year" since 2014 - I think other companies are going to make more progress and create a lot of scrutiny on those FSD claims if Tesla can't produce the product they've been charging $8-12k for. (and not crediting it towards trade in value at that).

As the market starts to get crowded this year and in the future and Tesla continues to A) focus on Enron-esque products they don't have the capability to make like Tesla-bot, and B) fail to release new models it will end up creating an adverse effect on the demand for their products - especially if they continue with their current quality control issues. It will hit the point their small service center footprint won't be able to handle the demand for fixing things that ought to have been caught at the factory. Checker and AMC are cautionary tales of keeping the same product too long and having too many misses with new products. I don't think OTA updates, no matter how innovative are enough - especially when other companies are starting to do the same.

The gleam of Cybertruck is already gone now that other companies are making pickup trucks and delivering them and eventually people are going to want those deposits back while they purchase products that exist. Similarly, Semi is a lot less revolutionary once you learn that Freightliner and Peterbilt are already delivering trucks and companies like TuSimple are demonstrating actual tests where they have autonomous class 8 trucks driving down the highway.

Tesla has a sizable lead that's theirs to lose if they don't focus on the fundamentals and chase vaporware products rather than doubling down on quality and product roll-outs.
You're right in that I view Tesla as a tech company first, Auto Maker second. We'll find out shortly whether Tesla opens up two new factories and sells every car they can make or if they reach market saturation and can't sell as many cars as they thought. In the first case, whatever products are in the pipeline are secondary thoughts. In the second case, Cybertruck and the $25K car become important products to fill in the gaps. Personally, I'm betting on Tesla opening several more plants in the next couple of years. The Cybertruck will get built when the supply issues clear up. Model Y's will have the lowest build cost and best ROI as long as they can sell them as fast as they can make them. It makes sense to concentrate on the Y and then modify the 3 to use as much of the Y parts as possible.

johnlocke said:
gcrouse said:

You're right in that I view Tesla as a tech company first, Auto Maker second. We'll find out shortly whether Tesla opens up two new factories and sells every car they can make or if they reach market saturation and can't sell as many cars as they thought. In the first case, whatever products are in the pipeline are secondary thoughts. In the second case, Cybertruck and the $25K car become important products to fill in the gaps. Personally, I'm betting on Tesla opening several more plants in the next couple of years. The Cybertruck will get built when the supply issues clear up. Model Y's will have the lowest build cost and best ROI as long as they can sell them as fast as they can make them. It makes sense to concentrate on the Y and then modify the 3 to use as much of the Y parts as possible.

In terms of short term outlook - I'm pretty certain the new factories coming online will be great for them and have no problem selling everything they can make and the profits off them won't be the issue per se - it'll be the possibility of warranty costs and service center backlogs that will hurt them if they don't fix the build quality. I think the prime example is the best pump issue which so far hasn't been easily addressed by OTA fixes. The build quality alone won't dampen enthusiasm but build quality in conjunction with more reliable quality from competition as others introduce more models at the same price point has a very real possibility of putting Tesla in a place where they will have more production capability than demand.

Tesla certainly approaches their development process more like a tech company - but I'd agree with their former quality VP that the approach isn't best for them long-term (https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-tackled-mass-production-for-car-as-if-they-were-software-and-thats-biting-it-back-179558.html).

I see it as a mixed bag - for sure it makes the company more agile in terms of bringing innovative updates to it's cars but as other companies also start doing OTA updates as well - that part loses it's luster and with more competition - Tesla becomes less of an exciting proposition if you can buy a similarly capable car without quality issues at the same price point.

I often compare them to AMC since they have a decent amount of commonalities.

1. AMC introduced the Rambler and started marketing the fuel efficiency of the cars before most of the pubic cared about economy vs the hottest V8.

2. AMC and Tesla both occupy the underdog positions in market share and both are/were rather agile companies compared to their competition with AMC introducing stuff like standard A/C on some of their models.

Notwithstanding the 70s and 80s decline of the auto industry in general - AMC eventually ended up coming out with some severe misses with introducing new models that put them in a bad economic spot despite the profitable AM General arm and then eventual acquisition.

In the auto industry you can occupy a niche for a few decades with the same models like Checker - and that's essentially how I see Tesla going if their innovative ability stalls too long. I think it's fair to say a lot of Tesla's valuation is caught up in the perception of Tesla being a tech company - but as analysts put Tesla in last place for automation as competitors move ahead (https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/parpg3/according_to_guidehouse_insights_tesla_has_been/) it starts to raise serious doubts about whether or not it's a sustainable valuation if they can't deliver on FSD before or around the same time as other companies.

As for the Tesla not, I'm pretty skeptical about Tesla delivering on a generalized purpose robot despite never building one before (keep in mind regulatory credits and a massive amount of fundraising kept Tesla afloat for about a decade before they started really moving cars.) To me that doesn't paint a bright picture for the future of such a product when successful robotic companies are focusing on specialized applications (Miso Robotics for the fast food industry, Boston Dynamics which has had a steady stream of DARPA money and just rolled out some K9 inspired robots along the border after decades of funding).

For me - when I got $100 of free cash from stash for contributing $5 - i ended up deciding against Tesla as an investment due to my concerns about Tesla's ability to deliver FSD and build quality and opted for

1. Nissan - since they took a blow from another post Ghosn compensation scandal and i think that their plan for solid state batteries with a 2028 target date is feasible albeit not exciting with potential for slow and less volatile growth.

2. Rivian - Trucks and SUVs are the biggest market in the US and I think being first to the market is a good start with the possibility of stealing customers from Jeep due to their slowness in introducing full electric models and Rivian's off road capability.

3. EvGo since there's been gobs of cash recently thrown at charging station build out and their focus on partnership deals.

4. ArcherDanielsMidland - an Agriculture giant who behind the scenes probably distills more alcohol in a month than Jack Daniels does in a year and quietly sells it to A LOT of companies making alcoholic beverages (neutral grain spirits).

In terms of risk - Tesla's latest earnings call shows some growing up as a company but i have some strong concerns about their ability to deliver on FSD which they have a lot riding on and the build quality issues as the market for EVs floods with competition from companies with better quality control.

FWIW, i think that's part of why Musk is so against further tax credits since a lot of the latecomers like Mazda and Honda (and to an extent even now Hyundai and Kia) are going to derive a substantial advantage from that. On a broader level - it will be interesting to see what will happen to the market if/when Chinese companies start meaningfully importing vehicles at the magic price points that put EVs more in the hands of lower middle class folks and entry level vehicles - but given Kandi noted that no Chinese company has the ability to produce US spec air bags currently and some of their NEVs are having battery failures within warranty that aren't being addressed - I think the $25k and less car is more of a 2030 issue.

SageBrush said:
...The small group of chosen FSD drivers is for the latest beta and IIRC is for non highway driving.
You are correct. I spoke at length with one of the beta testers at the May 2021 Custer SD Tesla rally. She was on the latest version and was using it on the famously narrow and twisty mountain roads, including many very narrow tunnels, in foggy conditions in the Black Hills around Custer. She was one of the few beta testers allowed to speak to the public about it, despite the usual NDAs, and was not a Tesla employee, just an enthusiast selected for the program. She said it did pretty well, although it wasn't perfect under such difficult conditions. Anyone who has driven those roads, especially in limited visibility, will understand how difficult a test it was.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/teslas-bitcoin-holdings-worth-nearly-2-bln-filing-2022-02-07/

In other news.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2022-02-11/la-fi-tesla-race-discrimination-lawsuit?_amp=true

I am utterly disappointed that this is still happening and is being ignored. I hope they will take a long and hard look at how they mismanaged this issue and correct it going forward.

They aren't going to "take a hard look" at anything except how to get out of this lawsuit. I'd say that it's about time for a boycott of Tesla, and of any other company that tolerates and excuses overt racism. I don't know if this and Tesla's quality control problems are directly related, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

[MOD: the last several days of Elon Musk discussion have been moved to the thread on Elon Musk, starting here:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=31143&start=40#p618144
I've moved several actual Tesla-related posts back to this thread; if you feel like one of yours should be moved back because it was about Tesla, please PM me with the link.]

May I respectfully attempt to steer this thread back to the subject? I agree it is perhaps impossible to discuss TSLA corp outlook without considering the Musk personality and impact on said outlook but let's not get too stuck on this.

People (including myself) once thought there would be no Apple without Steve Jobs and it turned out that was not the case. While Apple of today and product may not be what might have been if Jobs was still with us (RIP) but nonetheless the corporation is still intact and as a matter of fact is soaring to new heights on a regular basis.

It will be interesting to see what TSLA will do as a company over the next couple years, leading to 2030 (Key EV milestone in many markets) to continue its trajectory despite the growing competition and changing global landscape.

OldManCan said:
It will be interesting to see what TSLA will do as a company over the next couple years

Musk has make that pretty clear:

1. Seek to be best in the world in manufacturing. He is mostly talking about volume, profit margin, and efficiency
2. Complete FSD and roll-out auto-taxis
3. Grow to 3 TWh annual battery production by 2030

GCR:
Could federal funds open the Tesla Supercharger network to other EVs in the US?

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...al-funds-open-tesla-supercharger-to-other-evs

Tesla wants a piece of the federal funding set to be released for EV charging, and it's willing to open up its Supercharger DC fast-charging network to do it.

The automaker made that proposal in comments (first spotted by E&E News) submitted to the Federal Highway Administration on how to spend $7.5 billion earmarked for a national EV charging network as part of the infrastructure law passed late last year.

Tesla has taken steps to open the Supercharger network to cars from other automakers in Europe. It started a pilot program in the Netherlands in late 2021, enabling Combined Charging Standard (CCS) connectors it had installed at 10 Supercharger sites. In January, Tesla expanded availability to cars from other automakers in France and Norway.

This isn't the first hint that Tesla intends to do the same in the U.S., but the automaker's proposal appears to ask for funding in return—for the existing Tesla-only Supercharger connectors, as well as the CHAdeMO connectors used by a dwindling number of EVs such as the Nissan Leaf, as long as they're co-located with CCS connectors.

"Tesla or CHAdeMO connectors should be eligible for rebates as long as there is a CCS connector at the location for every rebated Tesla or CHAdeMO connector," the automaker said.

That could prove to be a sticking point. While Tesla sells a lot of EVs, most new models are expected to use CCS. The infrastructure law is also meant to fund new charging infrastructure, not reimburse operators for opening up existing charging stations.

It's also easier for Tesla to develop cross-compatibility in Europe because the automaker has been developing its network there around CCS, which didn't exist when Tesla started building out the U.S. Supercharger network.

CEO Elon Musk last year suggested that Tesla would bill at a higher rate for EVs that charge too slowly—and thus take up charge stalls for longer periods.

On the other hand, cooperation between Tesla and the federal government could help speed the development of a national charging network for all EVs. Real estate is one of the biggest obstacles to growing charging infrastructure; Tesla adding CCS and CHAdeMO connectors to its existing sites could provide a shortcut. . . .

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/01/elon-musk-takes-aim-at-president-biden-after-he-fails-to-mention-tesla-during-state-of-the-union.html

Ego is everything, of course.

GRA said:
GCR:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...al-funds-open-tesla-supercharger-to-other-evs

Tesla wants a piece of the federal funding set to be released for EV charging, and it's willing to open up its Supercharger DC fast-charging network to do it.

The automaker made that proposal in comments (first spotted by E&E News) submitted to the Federal Highway Administration on how to spend $7.5 billion earmarked for a national EV charging network as part of the infrastructure law passed late last year.

Tesla has taken steps to open the Supercharger network to cars from other automakers in Europe. It started a pilot program in the Netherlands in late 2021, enabling Combined Charging Standard (CCS) connectors it had installed at 10 Supercharger sites. In January, Tesla expanded availability to cars from other automakers in France and Norway.

This isn't the first hint that Tesla intends to do the same in the U.S., but the automaker's proposal appears to ask for funding in return—for the existing Tesla-only Supercharger connectors, as well as the CHAdeMO connectors used by a dwindling number of EVs such as the Nissan Leaf, as long as they're co-located with CCS connectors.

"Tesla or CHAdeMO connectors should be eligible for rebates as long as there is a CCS connector at the location for every rebated Tesla or CHAdeMO connector," the automaker said.

That could prove to be a sticking point. While Tesla sells a lot of EVs, most new models are expected to use CCS. The infrastructure law is also meant to fund new charging infrastructure, not reimburse operators for opening up existing charging stations.

It's also easier for Tesla to develop cross-compatibility in Europe because the automaker has been developing its network there around CCS, which didn't exist when Tesla started building out the U.S. Supercharger network.

CEO Elon Musk last year suggested that Tesla would bill at a higher rate for EVs that charge too slowly—and thus take up charge stalls for longer periods.

On the other hand, cooperation between Tesla and the federal government could help speed the development of a national charging network for all EVs. Real estate is one of the biggest obstacles to growing charging infrastructure; Tesla adding CCS and CHAdeMO connectors to its existing sites could provide a shortcut. . . .
Don't expect Chademo connectors at Supercharger sites. Expect to see a few CCS stations at one end of the lot. Musk will install just enough CCS cables to qualify for funding. Later on Tesla will go back and expand the footprint and add more superchargers after federal funding has paid for the infrastructure and hard costs. They buy a big lot and only pave enough for a few stations but install high capacity grid connections. Later they pave over more of the lot and install prefabricated Superchargers.

johnlocke said:
GRA said:
GCR:

Don't expect Chademo connectors at Supercharger sites. Expect to see a few CCS stations at one end of the lot. Musk will install just enough CCS cables to qualify for funding. Later on Tesla will go back and expand the footprint and add more superchargers after federal funding has paid for the infrastructure and hard costs. They buy a big lot and only pave enough for a few stations but install high capacity grid connections. Later they pave over more of the lot and install prefabricated Superchargers.

I don 't expect CHAdeMO, as I consider that a dying standard in the US, and the infrastructure bill as well as the EA settlement 3rd and 4th increments only require CCS. What I expect is that Tesla will, once they no longer make up the majority of U.S. BEV sales and public chargers, switch over their new cars to CCS, and gradually replace Tesla connectors with CCS at existing stations. It seems they may already be making provision for that in the Model S/X update, redesigning the charge door and making it bigger. IEVS:
In addition to the matrix headlights and redesigned taillights, you can see that the Model S has a new charge port. It's bigger, and there's no more LED lighted ring. According to Teslarati, the port seems to have enough space for a CCD [Sic.] adapter.

https://insideevs.com/news/571179/tesla-model-s-plaid-refresh-deliveries/

If you've got room for a CCS to Tesla adapter, then you've also got room to install a CCS receptacle itself. It seems that's already the case in Europe with CCS-2, and I anticipate them doing so here once their first mover advantage with the SC network loses its value:
See Refreshed Tesla Model X With CCS2 Port Spotted In Norway
Both the refreshed Model S and Model X will be natively compatible with the CCS2 charging standard in Europe.

https://insideevs.com/news/562309/tesla-modelx-ccs2-spotted-norway/

Back