Total cost of Ownership of Used 2013-17 Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evas2012leaf said:
Recently I purchased another 2012 sv identical to my wife's car except it only had 28,000 miles on it and it had an 8 bar battery. I paid Nissan close to 800 bucks to swap the 12 bar battery out of her old car which had nearly 111,000 miles on it. I had mentioned getting her a 2018 leaf with the 40kw pack and she wouldn't hear of it. She liked her 2012 too much to part with it she said! So now she has an almost new vehicle mileage wise with a full cap. battery pack and no payment. I have a happy wife!

This doesn't make any sense, why swap OUT a 12 bar pack to put IN one with 8 bars?

Are both cars in service, or was one discarded after harvesting the pack?

Happy wife, happy life.

I was a bit confused at first, too. He found a low mileage Leaf with an 8 bar pack that was identical or near enough to his Wife's very high mileage Leaf, which she loved. The 12 bar pack from the worn leaf went into the low mileage Leaf, making it nearly like new for her, and like the car she loved.

Levenkay said:
I know this is just wishful thinking at this point, but I've often fantasized about what "winning" would look like for EVs - at least, at the turning of the tide. We'd like to see demand for gasoline plummet, right? And what would its price do in response?

gasoline prices does not respond to demand. Its all about inventory control. If they have a glut, they will drop prices to encourage premature fleet deliveries. Gasoline can be stored but its very limited. But eventually production will be adjusted to meet demand and gas will stay where it is now which is just under the most we are willing to pay for it.

But don't expect to save a ton on EVs as Oil buys up public charging companies, those prices will also be set to what we are willing to pay and that is apparently quite a bit. I am truly shocked at what I see at EA and other places by clueless EVers.

Why are they clueless? There is a plethora of tools available to help them make informed decisions but they continue to do stupid stuff and be shocked when they do it.

"But don't expect to save a ton on EVs as Oil buys up public charging companies, those prices will also be set to what we are willing to pay and that is apparently quite a bit. I am truly shocked at what I see at EA and other places by clueless EVers.

Why are they clueless? There is a plethora of tools available to help them make informed decisions but they continue to do stupid stuff and be shocked when they do it."

I know that I am paying stupid money to quick charge on a trip, but I do not have the time to wait for 8 hours for an 80% charge mid-way. Having a short coffe break and getting to 80% is worth it to me, and I don't know any good alternatives at this point (although there ARE free QC sites...).

dmacarthur said:
"But don't expect to save a ton on EVs as Oil buys up public charging companies, those prices will also be set to what we are willing to pay and that is apparently quite a bit. I am truly shocked at what I see at EA and other places by clueless EVers.

Why are they clueless? There is a plethora of tools available to help them make informed decisions but they continue to do stupid stuff and be shocked when they do it."

I know that I am paying stupid money to quick charge on a trip, but I do not have the time to wait for 8 hours for an 80% charge mid-way. Having a short coffe break and getting to 80% is worth it to me, and I don't know any good alternatives at this point (although there ARE free QC sites...).

Your options are completely controlled by what you drive and where you are going but also in what you are willing to do. Some rather stop as few times as possible even if it means a single charging stop lasting over an hour. I prefer more frequent stops as I don't seem to be able to drive more than 2 hours at a stretch anymore any way. So if I can get away with charging 20-25 mins then driving 2 hours and repeating then that is what I will do.

On a trip I made recently, I did exactly that. My driving stints ranged from 75 minutes (cut short due to dire personal need) to 2½ hours (130 mile stretch thru the hills with ZERO charging stops along the way. ) but generally driving intervals were 90 minutes to two hours apart with charging stops lasting 22 to 28 minutes including one of 35 minutes (to cover the big stretch)

During my trip; it was my goal to "live within the knee" the knee being the point when the charging current starts dropping. This minimized both my time to charge and my cost per mile. Despite it being Winter, I was able to hit my goals rather easily.

But the flipside contains people who only want to stop as little as possible meaning longer driving stretches (or not since charging station placement is not always convenient) but always charging to a very high SOC. I never charged past 75%. Here is a Kona charging. Granted the outrageous cost is due more to the Go Fund me entitled "Help VW pays its fines" AKA EA. But the pix shows the general starting SOC, etc.... Not a very good plan.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPS3qArm15WZrbJ36

Back