Timer1 and Timer2 in Leaf not coexisting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

I program my Leaf timer1 for anytime charging at 80% (12am-12pm) and timer2 with only end charging time at 9am today for 100% charge. I plugged it in last night and the Leaf timer1 started charging and stopped at 80%. I expected timer2 to resume charging the Leaf again this morning some time to go from 80% charging to 100% by 9am. Well, it didn't happen. At around 8:30am, I saw that it's not charging to 100% per timer2, so I unplugged the J1772 and replugged it back in. Now timer2 kicked on and start charging to 100%. Of course by 9am it stopped, but didn't reach 100% because it had only 1/2 hr to charge between 8:30am - 9am and it wasn't enough to go from 80% to 100%.

So, what I learned is that the 2 timers don't operate together per plug in event. It looks like timer1 operates at the first plug in event, but timer2 would not operate on this same plug in event unless you unplug and replug to start a new plug in event.

As to why I'm doing this: I want the car to be ready at 80% asap in case I need it last night. But I need it to be at 100% this morning for longer trips today. I didn't want to charge it to 100% right away last night because it'd mean that my car will be sitting at 100% all night long and that's not the optimal state you want your battery to be in for a long time.

From the Navigation manual [highlighting added]:
Use charging timer to schedule when the Li-ion battery charges. You can save two timer settings that include the charging start time and end time. You can apply one of the timer settings to each day of the week.
I believe what they are saying is that the timers were not designed to work together. I suspect that timer 2 activates only when timer 1 does not, and that "activation" happens only at the instant you plug in. With your setup, I think timer 1 will activate only if you plug in before midnight, timer 2 only if you plug in between midnight and 9 AM.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Use charging timer to schedule when the Li-ion battery charges. You can save two timer settings that include the charging start time and end time. You can apply one of the timer settings to each day of the week.
I believe what they are saying is that the timers were not designed to work together. I suspect that timer 2 activates only when timer 1 does not, and that "activation" happens only at the instant you plug in. With your setup, I think timer 1 will activate only if you plug in before midnight, timer 2 only if you plug in between midnight and 9 AM.

Ray

Yep what he said :)

Look closely when setting your timer, click on the 'assign days' button. You have to choose which of the two timers is active for each day of the week. Once you are on that screen it is obvious they work independently of each other.

JPWhite said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

Yep what he said :)

Look closely when setting your timer, click on the 'assign days' button. You have to choose which of the two timers is active for each day of the week. Once you are on that screen it is obvious they work independently of each other.
OK, thanks. What you're saying makes sense. You can only assign timer1 OR timer2 on a day, but not both. So they're mutually exclusive and cannot coexist on the same day. Also makes sense that "activation" happens only at the instant you plug in.

Back