This J Connector Immobilized my LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I was hoping we could hear first hand from the actual owner of the defective item and what the supplier said.

Maybe something will be determined in the next couple days. No worries.

If anyone else encounters the same plug in the wild, please post the useful details that are (for reasons I don't understand) confidential.

What make and model is the EVSE? A photograph of the defective EVSE would also be useful. If I saw one like it, I wouldn't even bother getting out my calipers.

If this becomes a common problem (failure to release), perhaps modifying the LEAF charge port to have a less engaging lock tab would be the answer. Or a tool that is purpose-built to fit under the receptacle and force the lock tang up.

Remember that we are the curious, patient, and resourceful early-adopters. If this happened to my wife on a public charger, there would be some stressful phone calls, a useless AAA truck, and most likely wire cutters and vice grips employed. Such a plug wouldn't last a week in any public location -- it would be destroyed by someone less patient than clever.

The owner of the EVSE is trying to resolve the issue of the "wrong plug". Out of courtesy to him, we will let him decide when and if the EVSE brand will be mentioned.

The issue is with the "nozzle" on the end of the "e-hose", and not anything to do with the EVSE itself.

We have provided pictures of the nozzle above, comparing it with the nozzle on the Nissan L1 EVSE.

Whatever. I guess I don't get it.
It's a homebrew EVSE? EVSE somehow unrelated to the cord attached to it? The manufacturer is a friend of yours and doesn't want anyone to know who's cord latched on like a lamprey?

Anyway, if it's a public charger it's probably already "fixed" by now and both pieces can be identified by the next member to arrive on the scene.

garygid said:
The owner of the EVSE is trying to resolve the issue of the "wrong plug". Out of courtesy to him, we will let him decide when and if the EVSE brand will be mentioned.

The issue is with the "nozzle" on the end of the "e-hose", and not anything to do with the EVSE itself.

We have provided pictures of the nozzle above, comparing it with the nozzle on the Nissan L1 EVSE.

I'm guessing there may have been a non-disclosure agreement when it was sold so that if any issues that came up would not be made public on this forum. I have to somewhat disagree that the "nozzle" has nothing to do with the EVSE...because whoever made the EVSE was the one that purchased and installed the "wrong plug". If it was advertised and sold to work on a LEAF, it should work on a LEAF.

Hi
The J1772 connector looks like a DOSTAR to me. I saw them at an EV conference in Shenzhen last November. I was interested in connectors and inlets but they told me that they were 'working' on UL approval. I decided to use ITT connectors in my product. More expensive but low risk.

This reminds me of the time I met a shady Russian businessman on a flight in Europe years ago. He passed me his business card. On the card was a quality seal for ISO 9000. I was impressed until he winked and told me to look at the fine print. Under the seal it said in small font "Working towards".

Neal

I can confirm it's a Chinese-made Dostar connector. I also have one of their inlets, which is slightly tighter fitting than the LEAF's inlet, but otherwise works fine.

I have plugged one of these (looked identical) in and it released properly, so maybe it's a fluke, or they have changed the design since that one was made. I would not be surprised if their quality varied from unit to unit! There may be some mold flashing or something inside the connector stopping the release from moving enough to properly clear.

The one used on the Voltec L1 unit is also not a very high-quality unit, (IMHO) but at least it does release properly and fits well.

The best one I've seen so far is the white one on the Nissan (panasonic) L1, and the AV EVSE's. They are the original Yazaki-made connectors. (the company that originally developed the connector)

-Phil

Back