The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
hansende said:
I just made a short video and would like Leaf owners to review it for errors and make comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7xH2N2T2Fw
Thanks!
One minor comment: You seemed to be implying when looking under the hood that the electric motor is visible on the left side. Actually, that thing which looks sort of like a small gasoline engine is the inverter; the motor is underneath where it is difficult to see. [To get only slightly technical about it, the charger in the back of the car takes alternating current (AC) from the EVSE and converts it into direct current (DC) which is put into the battery. The inverter takes DC from the battery and converts it into AC to run the motor.]

Ray
Thanks for the info. I will incorporate it into the final video.

Well, Sunday was the big day! The car came in on Thursday, but my son's college graduation, an auspicious event at least as monetarily satisfying as buying a LEAF, ;) interfered with going to get it. So, after an 8 hour drive back from the graduation, I pulled into Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa. There she was! That Blue Ocean bombshell. Bill took us through all of the details. While I knew the info, this was my first chance to actually SEE where all of the buttons and settings were located, and to take a real test drive. I knew it from the Drive Electric event, but discovered again that the car in drive has plenty of pep. I was doing 75mph on the freeway before I realized it. I stuck it in ECO mode for the return leg to the dealership, and discovered it to be adequate, and it certainly helped keep my freeway speed in check. I did get some time later to put it back in drive and really romp on it around some corners. This car certainly has more torque than any car I've ever owned (granted I've never owned a real performance vehicle).

I have to give a great BIG hat's off to evnow for the lease spreadsheets and to one recent poster (that I can't find) who described a similar experience at Mossy. One thing this purchase beat into my brain is that ANY car dealer will try and cheat you if they can. Even the so-called "good guys" like Mossy. I had come straight to the dealer from the trip, something I had not planned to do, so the lease data I intended to bring along wasn't with me. Since I had to log on at the dealership to get my Carwings PIN, I also printed out the Quote from the dashboard. I knew from the spreadsheet that the lease payment there was based on the proper money factor, etc... Good thing I did. The first lease they brought matched the payment on the quote, but was for 39 months instead of 36 months and showed a money factor of 0.00212. I sent them back, but misremembered the proper money factor as 0.00208 rather than 0.00204. That caused them to bring me a 36 month lease with the 0.00208 MF I mentioned, but the payments were now higher than their quote. I stayed politely stubborn, refusing to pay more than the original quote. They finally gave up trying to pad the lease and brought me the proper 36 month lease with the exact payment they had quoted way back when. I'm truly sorry to have to report this, since Leon was a treat to work with when I RAQ'd and the rest of the experience was very good, but other buyers need to be prepared. You can't be complacent, even if you like the dealer.

That out of the way, My wife and I tripped across the street to Subway for a quick bite (it had been hours) while they typed up the paperwork. Back over to sign papers and then it was homeward bound. I took my twin 17yo daughters around the neighborhood (they had dropped us off at the dealer and gone home). Then comes the moment of truth..."Dad, can I drive it?" Well, it's Sunday evening, virtually no cars in sight. I figure that I won't find a better time to let her try it, so I say, "Sure, I guess so", sacrificing yet another week off my life expectancy...but what are fathers for? I guess I should count my blessings that only one of them has their license. (Wait! that means the other one will want to practice in it with her learner's permit. Noooooooo!!!!!!!)

Intellectually, I knew all about the bars and expected range, but it becomes real when you drive it the first time. I blew through one-third of my charge between the 8 mile test drive and the 15 mile journey home, and a couple of miles of show and tell. I can plainly see that I will want to drive conservatively ALL the time, especially if/when I decide to switch to 80% charges. At home, I immediately logged in and applied for the CVRP rebate, then back out to test the included EVSE and the Blink. I also tried starting charging through Carwings. It all worked as expected. Anyway, I finally set the LEAF's timer for 12:10AM to 5AM, plugged in the Blink, and waited for midnight. I did end up at one point with the Blink plugged in and NO blue dash lights, but I don't really know I how I got there, and it didn't happen again. About 12:30 I found the car charging away, and I tried to check charge state through Carwings, but discovered that like the AT&T phones I got rid of...my car didn't get reception with the garage door closed. Rats. I'll have to try Blink's notifications and see if they work for me. No car unplugged reminders, though.

Next morning I drive into work, all 5 miles of it, and get to my desk...the guy next to me asks if that's my LEAF outside...the problem being that I parked in the garage and he couldn't have seen it. I look out the window, and someone ELSE has beat me to being the first LEAF in the complex! There's a brand new Glacier Pearl SL parked in the main lot! Now, I've REALLY got to get to writing the "Why this building should provide charging facilities" paper I was asked to do.

Reading this over, it sounds a little like a rant, but that's only because explaining the lease thing took so much space. The truth is that it was a very small issue thanks to the great help available here. The only regret I have the morning after is...that my commute is so short! As I drove into work, I was bummed because I didn't get to spend more time in my LEAF. Well, I have plenty of time for that, I guess.

planet4ever said:
solarman said:
I too picked my 'Glacier' Blue LEAF SL + QC at North Bay Nissan in Petaluma on Saturday morning May 7.
You got a Glacier Blue? How come they wouldn't give me an Ocean Pearl?

Just teasing - congratulations on finally getting it.

Ray

I stand corrected - Ocean Blue - I should have said.

Got it on 5/16, drove it 300+ miles, over 36 hours and rolled into home, in Shasta County, (with 5 miles of range remaining!) early this AM.

The LEAF is everything I expected. Thanks to all who helped, specific comments to follow.

The public EV charge infrastructure to make the drive from the Bay Area to North California? Well, it is there, but just barely so.

I got here, but I am really hoping my next 200+ mile trip in the other direction, from my home to the Bay area in my LEAF, is a little shorter, a lot faster, and only months, rather than years, away.

edatoakrun said:
Got it on 5/16, drove it 300+ miles, over 36 hours and rolled into home, in Shasta County, (with 5 miles of range remaining!) early this AM.

The LEAF is everything I expected. Thanks to all who helped, specific comments to follow.
We'll certainly be interested in THAT story! Congrats on the new ride!!

edatoakrun said:
Congratulations, Ed ! Welcome home to a well-deserved rest :)

We took delivery of orphaned LEAF 1123 last night at Campbell-Nelson Nissan. It started with a call just to check in on the whereabouts of our LEAF (2088). As it turned out, somebody that very morning had decided not to go through with the purchase of a model fitting our exact specifications (this one had the kick plates, mats, and the cargo organizer, in addition to the mud guards and protection package we had already ordered). So, they gave this one to us with no markup on the added accessories and only 7 miles on the odometer.

John Kelch of Campbell-Nelson was remarkably helpful throughout the entire transaction, and in patiently answering my calls and e-mails over the past several months. There was no pressure to purchase extended coverage, although we did elect to do so. They were also able to match PenFed's 2.49% for financing. In all, we were grateful to them for making our first new car purchase a very pleasant one.

The car itself is awesome. I spent much of last night programming Carwings, getting the garage door opener linked up, etc. My wife got the honor of driving it home, so today it'll be my turn behind the wheel. :twisted:

I'd like to thank the members of this forum for providing their experiences and technical insights, which guided me with regards to the strengths and weaknesses of this car, and in the end solidified my decision to go with the LEAF over a Prius for our commuter/"around town" car.

Edit: Before anybody asks, I just now signed up to be a forum supporter (finally..). I plan to use this forum for some time to learn as many tips and tricks as possible. :)

I got my LEAF today! Unfortunately, it was only my little toy placeholder LEAF, which will sit on my desk to tide me over until the real one comes.

But on the plus side, the toy LEAF included a little toy EVSE, so at least I can pretend-charge my toy car. Though that's the biggest charging plug I've ever seen. (Maybe it's meant to be CHAdeMO? If so, hey, at least L3's being rolled out somewhere, even if it's just in toyland. :lol:)

toyleaf.jpg

Packet said:
I got my LEAF today! Unfortunately, it was only my little toy placeholder LEAF, which will sit on my desk to tide me over until the real one comes.
That's awesome! Where did you find it, and how much was it?

lemketron said:
That's awesome! Where did you find it, and how much was it?
It's actually a Mini-Z LIT shell; I'm pretty sure a couple others on the forum have one too. Since they're available in all the colors, you can even get one to match your ordered car! Though I'm afraid they don't have an SV option; all of them have the little solar panel on the spoiler, so clearly you're stuck with an SL. ;)

Generally, a good shell is around $30. An empty shell usually comes with a little placeholder base (with wheels locked into a straight-line position like a Hot Wheels car), so even without putting it on a Mini-Z a shell makes a decent (if absurdly lightweight) little desk-toy.

Unfortunately, none of the US resellers for Mini-Z stuff seem to carry it because LIT isn't as popular as the other platforms, so I had to order it from a Japanese hobby site for about $50 + shipping for just the shell. I could've gotten a 'Readyset' -- the whole thing in one box -- but it would've run me well over $200. And I just wanted a desk toy, so the fact that I don't have a LIT to swap the shell onto didn't bother me. Still, it does look like it makes a fun little RC car when you put the whole thing together.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMH1O1ehdA[/youtube]

Cool! I want one! May get delivered before my full size LEAF.

Does it come with the NAV system and charger locations in the NAV system? It might show only the Japanese Nissan dealers chargers and not the US or UK ones. ;) :)

I see it also comes standard with it's own Ultra Quick Charge station , no installation or permitting required! Even more portable than Phil's EVSE Upgrade! Plug In anywhere!

Which Japanese site and how do you order? May need to lear Japanese!

Nice video. Imagine talking about the LEAF to a classroom full of kids and then you pull out this mini electric car and demonstrate charging and driving through the city of enormous water bottles!! The the kids walk outside and see the real thing. Parked of course. After delivery of course.

ElectricVehicle said:
Does it come with the NAV system and charger locations in the NAV system? It might show only the Japanese Nissan dealers chargers and not the US or UK ones. ;) :)
Alas, it doesn't seem to have NAV. Or Carwings. :lol:

Which Japanese site and how do you order? May need to lear Japanese!
Looks like BanzaiHobby has all five colors of the LEAF shell in their AutoScale selection: http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18_414_430 -- as an added benefit with them, though you're ordering from Japan, it does have an English site there. Also, at $36 for the shell, that's cheaper than the other places I found. (Apparently I should have price-shopped more thoroughly.)

Nice video. Imagine talking about the LEAF to a classroom full of kids and then you pull out this mini electric car and demonstrate charging and driving through the city of enormous water bottles!! The the kids walk outside and see the real thing. Parked of course. After delivery of course.
Hee! Yes, I imagine the Readyset version of the LEAF kit (not, sadly, available from BanzaiHobby) would make a great educational tool for EV evangelists, I imagine! :)

I started a new thread to continue the Nissan LEAF R/C model car discussion.

Packet - I added the Nissan Online Shop Japan and a Google translation of the site that appears to have the full R/C set. See the end of my first post in the new thread.

I got the call from my dealer to pick up my white leaf at mid-day. Spent about 3.5 hours at the dealer. 3 hrs wasn't too bad, going over the car with the excited sales staff. This was Coulter Nissan's first leaf delivery. The last half hour with finance was less fun, but not too bad. Overall I would have to say it was longer than it needed to be but it was a fairly positive experience. We got a lot of attention from all of the staff and all of the other customers. They had just pulled the car into the inside center showroom and tied balloons on it when we walked up. Since we were anxious to test drive it they had to immediately take the balloons off and take it back outside.

It feels great to have the car. I am very happy with it so far. I tried to find any evidence of pollen removal and found none. Although I did notice two spots of bee droppings on the windshield. ;)

I'm afraid the universe may be playing a cruel joke on me though. I finally get my leaf on May 20 and the world ends on May 21. Just my luck.

I picked up my Black SL+QC today from Stadium Nissan in Orange, CA. I was a late October order and only his second order, BUT he has delivered 9 Leafs to date.. Just shows how big an issue the "order mixup is"

He says that my vehicle was "pulled from someone from Texas".. and that he has 5 other orders from Nov and Dec that don't have any info on their vehicles, so it does go to show that the squeaky wheels got their cars sooner.

Anyway, i'm loving it, going to play with it this weekend, then send my L1 in for the EVSEUpgrade on Monday.

~Dave

Back