The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally picked it up today at Empire Nissan in Ontario. Although I had listed Palm Springs Nissan as my dealer and order/quote was accepted, in the end they couldn't deliver because their Leaf Mechanic had not yet been certified. As far as I know, mine is the first Leaf in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Indio, etc.)

"I got my LEAF"! Stephen M (really nice guy, BTW) and the crew at Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa did a great job delivering my LEAF despite my 2 excited kids running around.

Only slight pressure from finance to lease instead of buy the Nissan+ extended warranty since everyone else was doing it and it's an "experimental" car. :? Plus some weird spheel about how the extended warranty is only valid if you buy it from the dealer you bought the car from and that Nissan will be refunding/voiding everyone's warranty who bought from someone online for ~half price? Anyway...

Car is now trickle charging - SDG&E should be out to install the meter for the EVSE circuit tomorrow or the next day.

Could not have happened to a nicer guy, drees.

Thanks for everything you have done on the spreadsheet, too. We all owe you big time.

Hello,
I saw my first Leaf "in the wind" yesterday on my way to work. A bright shiny red one parked at the corner of MLK blvd. and Russell St. Made me feel good, like it's gonna catch on. :lol:

good deal drees - congrats! head's up - i hope sunwest installed a separate breaker switch for the 2nd meter. this is some requirement above the breaker switches in your normal breaker box. SDG&E refused to set the 2nd meter yesterday because of this (despite the successful inspection by the city). not sure when Sunwest will be able to come out again to do the re-work.

drees said:
"I got my LEAF"! Stephen M (really nice guy, BTW) and the crew at Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa did a great job delivering my LEAF despite my 2 excited kids running around.

Only slight pressure from finance to lease instead of buy the Nissan+ extended warranty since everyone else was doing it and it's an "experimental" car. :? Plus some weird spheel about how the extended warranty is only valid if you buy it from the dealer you bought the car from and that Nissan will be refunding/voiding everyone's warranty who bought from someone online for ~half price? Anyway...

Car is now trickle charging - SDG&E should be out to install the meter for the EVSE circuit tomorrow or the next day.

BlueSL said:
I am IN. Very happy with VIN 2521. No pollen damage of any kind visible. Really fun.

Congratulations Blue! Nice to see you get your car.

I reported earlier on getting my car sooner than I expected, partly I suspect because I changed colors (which I fully expected to cause additional delays!). My vin, 2530, is close to yours and I have wondered if it was a "pollen" car. So far I cannot find any evidence of it.

BlueSL said:
Could not have happened to a nicer guy, drees. Thanks for everything you have done on the spreadsheet, too. We all owe you big time.
opencar said:
good deal drees - congrats!
stanley said:
Glad to hear you received your car!! :D Thank you for all your work on MNL.
Thank you, guys! (Hopefully I can maintain the enthusiasm in helping to keep the spreadsheet updated w/turbo2ltr and the tracking ships post - but now having received my LEAF I expect that to diminish somewhat while I enjoy the car!)

opencar said:
head's up - i hope sunwest installed a separate breaker switch for the 2nd meter. this is some requirement above the breaker switches in your normal breaker box. SDG&E refused to set the 2nd meter yesterday because of this (despite the successful inspection by the city). not sure when Sunwest will be able to come out again to do the re-work.
Yes - there's 2 breakers in the system - one on the main panel and another hanging off the meter (lockable). SDG&E just installed the meter today (inspection approved yesterday) so very quick turnaround!

Everyone I've shown the car to and let driven/given rides has been quite impressed! While all agree that it isn't the car for everyone or all purposes, it is a step in the right direction.

Lots of tweaks to the NAV/radio/settings of the car to still make and lots of features to learn about and get familiar with.

Drees, Were you the silver Leaf I passed on Camino Real today around 1:30. My Leaf is white.

stanley said:
Drees, Were you the silver Leaf I passed on Camino Real today around 1:30. My Leaf is white.
No - wasn't on El Camino today at that time... But good to hear of more on the road! Encinitas city inspector said he's inspecting a lot of EVSE installs when he was at my house yesterday.

The other day I saw 2 blue LEAFs within a block of each other on Melrose between Faraday/Sycamore in Vista... Only other siting was a white LEAF on Rancho Santa Fe / Leucadia intersection a month or two ago and Jerome Stocks' red LEAF a couple times a few months back as well.

I got my LEAF! We drove 73 miles, since yesterday, around town, and granted 4 test drives to friends. I love it. It is really fun to drive. Thank you to everyone here for your tips and tricks! --Lynn

We picked up our Leaf yesterday. So far we're really enjoying it. Its been quite a while since looked for an excuse to drive somewhere. And, the difference between the Leaf and my 11 year old Subaru is pronounced to say the least. The Subie has been a great car, but getting in, looking over the oxidized paint on the hood, cranking up the engine, and feeling the lurch as the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd (it has a sticking solenoid) really made me like the Leaf just that much more. Pulling away I realized that I now own (or at least partly own) the most expensive car that I have ever driven.

The dealership experience was interesting. Everything went well until Thursday night when we went in to sign some paperwork that our credit union needed fro the loan. First there was a long wait to get in to financing and sign the contract. We had not yet had dinner and the seats in the waiting area were so uncomfortable, that my wife chose to stay standing. Eventually our salesperson brought out an office chair for her. He genuinely seemed to be concerned about the length of our wait. Then came the finance person and the hard sell for, of all things, a pre-paid maintenance agreement. During the whole process I kept saying "but that doesn't make sense". Having some experience with reliability of complex systems on a theoretical basis, I just could not see where this benefited me. After we made it clear that we were not interested in any additional packages, we scheduled the pick-up for the next day. It was nearly 9:00 PM before we left. The salesperson pulled the car around and asked if we wanted to see it. We were so tired and hungry that we said "no" we just wanted to get dinner. I'm quite sure he didn't expect to have someone pass on the opportunity to check out their new car. In retrospect, its kind of funny that they wore us down so much that we had lost interest in the car.

In the end I purchased the trunk organizer and the salesperson threw in a couple of key fob protectors which I think he purchased himself. I thought was nice of him.

If anyone sees a red Leaf in Los Gatos, that's probably us.

Picked up my silver LEAF at Boardwalk in Redwood city yesterday. I was so excited that I woke up at 4:00 AM for my 9:00 appointment. It all went smoothly. I was in and out in 1.75 hours. There was no hard sell on warranty or maintenance packages. Just time to show me the car and fill out the paper work. They offered me $250 for my 15 year old 157k mile Corolla. I declined and sold it for $2000 on Craigslist that afternoon. All in all a very exciting day. I'm still wearing the EV smile. Gotta go and play with my new toy.

Drove it out of Redwood City Boardwalk Nissan with a vow to never return there.

Love the car so far, put 200 miles on it over the weekend. Still playing around with the new toy. Sincerely hoping it is able to cover my 75 mile commute completely on the freeway with hilly terrain.

Right now my commute is 55 miles. Bye bye climate control - gotta get used to lowering the windows and letting the "air force" in :p

BTW- Boardwalk nissan stinks- Except for Brendan who is really helpful. Stay away from them, the extra 5% discount is not worth it- try to get a price match elsewhere. Their owner is arrogant, their staff are mostly cocky!

Picked up my LEAF last Thursday and drove it to work Friday and today. I'm averaging around 4.8 miles/kWh (Leaf dash, no climate control use except fan so far) on my 55 mile (RT) commute driving the same style that was giving me 50-55 MPH in my Civic Hybrid: trying to maintain constant throttle around 60 MPH on the freeway, slowing down on the uphills, speeding up on the downhills, etc. Since I have plenty of margin, I’m going to start charging to 80%.

I love to drive this car! Everything is smooth, from steering to power delivery. The motor is miserly when maintaining a moderate speed, but punch it and 50 kW pushes you back in your seat!

Picked up my white SL+QC last night... all told: 4/20/10 -> 10/27/10 -> (bunch of frustrating stuff) -> 6/14/11

But happy as a clam now.

Back