The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally got it :!: Eight months to the day from when my order was finalized.

Never mind that it wasn't the model I ordered; never mind that it's going to cost me $40/month more than I was expecting to pay (because it's an SL+QC rather than an SV); never mind that Nissan has been jerking me around for the last month and a half; I finally have the car I've dreamed of for fifteen years.

I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on the odometer, the trip odometer at zero, and 12 bars on the SOC gauge. I lost the first bar 0.9 miles away, before I got on the freeway. Most of the rest of my 29.4 mile trip was freeway driving, ECO with CC set at 60, though I had to slow down for traffic a few times. I lost the 5th bar as I pulled into the driveway, so that's just a hair over 7 miles per bar. I had no hills to speak of, and very little elevation change (+285 feet).

My only complaint so far is that the clock which controls the charging timer was off by a hour, and it took me five minutes of digging around to find where to set it. I figured I was too smart to look at the book :geek: but it turned out I was too dumb to remember the instructions I saw here just a couple of days ago. :? I'll find out tomorrow if I was smart enough to set the timer so it would start charging when our rates drop at midnight.

Oh, one other thing. I've got to get me one of those little lights that you stick on inside the charging port door. Fortunately I had a penlight with me tonight, because otherwise I don't know how long it would have taken me in the dark to get the charge connector aligned and latched at the charge port.

Ray

TonyWilliams said:
Our car arrived today. Got the call from Mark at Mossy Nissan, Poway office, here in sunny San Diego. There was no 7 day email.

Congrats, Tony. You're gonna love it. AND, you can put your new license plates on your LEAF rather than on a strap around your neck. Yay. :)

planet4ever said:
Well, I finally got it :!: Eight months to the day from when my order was finalized.

Ray

Great news, Ray. Your miles per bar sounds pretty typical for freeway driving.

Good idea about the penlight. Plugging in by sense of touch is probably not a great plan. :)

Enjoy your new baby.

So great to finally be able to join this section of the forums!

Things I've noticed day one. Doors need extra force than I'm used to and trunk definitely needs more effort. There's no trunk open light, just the general amber warning.
It's extra dry in SoCal yesterday and today and I'm being shocked upon every exit of the vehicle.

First commute to work without gas...priceless. :lol:

planet4ever said:

Congratulations Ray, your LEAF finally arrived!! Our reserved and RAQ dates were the same but I received my car about 2 weeks before you did.
I must also read the manual to set the clock that is off by one hour. So far it seems I'm spending more time trying to understand the LEAF than driving.

Now the fun begins.

supernoman said:
So great to finally be able to join this section of the forums!

Things I've noticed day one. Doors need extra force than I'm used to and trunk definitely needs more effort. There's no trunk open light, just the general amber warning.
It's extra dry in SoCal yesterday and today and I'm being shocked upon every exit of the vehicle.

First commute to work without gas...priceless. :lol:

How true.

linkim said:
planet4ever said:

Congratulations Ray, your LEAF finally arrived!! Our reserved and RAQ dates were the same but I received my car about 2 weeks before you did.
I must also read the manual to set the clock that is off by one hour. So far it seems I'm spending more time trying to understand the LEAF than driving.

Now the fun begins.

I found the DVD pretty handy. Do go thru it.

Thanks, yes that was a bit weird. They made the sale April 29, I am guessing for month end reasons. Since its only the sixth car out of their dealership, its possible they have jus one tech trained. Not sure.

SteveInSeattle said:
I got my leaf! Thanks Ray from Campbell Nelson-- A good place to buy a Nissan or VW
Whoa! A Pacific NW delivery! How did the train it was on get past Portland without delivering some cars there?

Oh, and congratulations! Let us know what you think of the car.

HIOJim said:
SteveInSeattle said:
I got my leaf! Thanks Ray from Campbell Nelson-- A good place to buy a Nissan or VW
Whoa! A Pacific NW delivery! How did the train it was on get past Portland without delivering some cars there?

Oh, and congratulations! Let us know what you think of the car.
One other Seattle-area delivery occurred today, according to the Facebook Seattle users' group. That one had a dashboard estimate of 5/5, like mine. Looks like they have been close to spot-on with many of the PNW delivery estimates. Hopefully the favorable trend continues... I saw a cayenne red LEAF in the wild near my place today, so that certainly is exciting.

Congratulations, Steve!

So how did that train leave and not contain my car, heading for Campbell-Nissan as well? When did your car get the re-programming? Mine had it on 4/19. If yours had it on or after mine and yours got on a train, I'd be really really pissed. Please let me know.

Just got home from Connell Nissan in Costa Mesa. Great buying experience. Thanks, Chris and Mark! I got to be the one to drive back to LA, a little over 40 miles in the dark on the 405 freeway. I admit I was gripping the steering wheel a little tightly. My initial impressions/thoughts: #1 of course, I love the car. It makes a soft whirring noise when accelerating and declerating to a stop, very pleasant. It is eerie to have the silence at a stop. Also I kept waiting to feel the gears shift up and down and there is no such sensation. It was very easy to go "too fast" on the freeway. I kept in the right two lanes and did fine. We will probably take out the rear headrests for better visibility, except when carrying rear passengers. I thought front and side visiblity was great and I am 6'3" so was a little worried about that. Spouse loves car, too. She is already figuring out the NAV. We set LEAF timer at 80% for the TTweed recommended intervals and it is charging away as I type this. We will keep that timer setting daily and override for 100% charging as needed.
I have waited 20 plus years for this car. I first explored EVs by going to the EV club meetings at Cal Tech. I was invariably the only woman in the room and the talk was how to locate a VW Rabbit with a blown engine for a good price because Rabbits had lots of room for batteries and made good conversions. I was no EE nor garage hobbyist so I did not get an EV then. I knew I needed a purpose built EV by a major manufacturer to feel comfortable and now we have one. Ecstatic! Big thanks to all on this forum who provided me with so much information over these many long months. It helped right up to and through the buying experience tonight. I knew what to ask and what to watch for. Now on to filing for the rebate and sending the L1 to Phil. See you at the next meet up! :mrgreen:

Oh....6 miles on the odometer in case anyone wants to know and never did get a 7 day email. And Connell's going to get a QC station soon and Connell says...all are welcome to use any EVSE there.

Kat

I picked up my car this afternoon! The transaction took 3 hrs. because I still wasn't sure whether to lease or purchase. I ended up purchasing. A gentleman arrived at the same time I did to pick up his white Leaf. We were the first 2 folks to receive their cars from the Folsom dealer. I did a drive-by today at the Nissan dealer and didn't see any Leafs and was bummed, then I checked my voicemail and the salesman said my car was ready for pickup! I never got a 7 day email. Anyway, the process was smooth (considering this is all new to the guys there) and I have much to learn about this great car. Thanks Kevin & Dave for the good delivery experience. I never got the opportunity to test drive a Leaf, this far exceeds my expectations. My EV grin was huge today! I haven't been this excited since we had our EV1. I hope everyone gets their cars very soon...

VIN 1265
Res. 4/20/10
Ord. 10/30/10
Del. 5/3/11 :D

Boomer23 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Our car arrived today. Got the call from Mark at Mossy Nissan, Poway office, here in sunny San Diego. There was no 7 day email.

Congrats, Tony. You're gonna love it. AND, you can put your new license plates on your LEAF rather than on a strap around your neck. Yay. :)

I tried to get the plates on the car today, but DMV was not cooperating. I went in the first time with all the forms, and they determined I needed a "statement of facts" from the dealer that said I "demanded that I would perform the DMV".

So, naturally when I showed up with that 30 minutes later, the statement wasn't worded good enough. I told the DMV person that the dealer doesn't give two hoots what this says, and will put whatever DMV wants on it. Then they needed an original of one of the forms that the dealer would not give me.

So, I gave up.

Back