The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
So I measured my S+ too soon, it further adjusted up to 93.24% SoH... car was at 93.1% on Dec 26, 2021. I will certainly take flat SoH for 18+ months.

Wish I could apply some of that same magic to my 2019 SV+.

What is the Hx difference between the two? There is some evidence that higher demand seems to bring stats up. With extended modest use, the car determines that part of pack can be hidden w/o creating an inconvenience to the driver.

My guess is a hidden reserve is created that LEAF Spy cannot see. The reserve is designed to increase longevity w/o the risk of overcharging.

Of course EVERYONE overcharges and we DO need to know that there is no time frame where high SOC is beneficial to the pack. It is all about acceptable risk so yeah, even ONE SECOND is not good. The reserve simply prevents that from happening. The risk is also relative so 90% is better than 95% but worse than 80% and so on. The magnitude of the risk is a question and not easily determined because the risk remains very small.

So want higher numbers? Try driving it more and see what happens.

AGAIN; evidence is random and weak and ALL my statements are simply personal comments.

FYI; most of the weakness is due to lack of data, poor responses to direct questions about charging/driving habits and too many generalities injected that aren't even part of the conversation.

TBH: if I hear one more "Nissan made sure we can't screw it up because of..." statement I will EXPLODE!

Latest LeafSpy capture. Now that I am at +68K miles, compared to my 2013 @ 68K, my 2020 is still holding +90% on the battery SoH compared to 71.45% SoH on my 2013 :D

DEDcftL.png

Mine has been bouncing between 8.5 and 10% loss for well over a year. I was .18% from 10% loss at this time last year. Today, I am at 8.69% loss after the last small positive adjustment earlier this month soon to hit 47,000 miles.

My Hx is still maintaining well at 114%

This seems in one case to show that there's no real harm in QCing. The latest battery design looks to be very good. That makes it even more of a blunder to have not have switched to CCS 4-5 years ago. With a cheap adapter to NACS we all would be covered for many years. Saying this as I got to a working CHAdeMO on the 3rd stop at 3% and 6 gom miles needing 1+ hours at an L2 to make the next one if the third didn't work. Sleeping grandkid in the back seat needing antibiotics soon made it worse. The first charger overheated after 4-5 minutes. Fortunately the second was fine. Oh, and an ICE was blocking the only CHAdeMO on the first stop which was out of the way but closer so we could eat. Hungry kid! Sucks.

BillAinCT said:
This seems in one case to show that there's no real harm in QCing. The latest battery design looks to be very good. That makes it even more of a blunder to have not have switched to CCS 4-5 years ago. With a cheap adapter to NACS we all would be covered for many years. Saying this as I got to a working CHAdeMO on the 3rd stop at 3% and 6 gom miles needing 1+ hours at an L2 to make the next one if the third didn't work. Sleeping grandkid in the back seat needing antibiotics soon made it worse. The first charger overheated after 4-5 minutes. Fortunately the second was fine. Oh, and an ICE was blocking the only CHAdeMO on the first stop which was out of the way but closer so we could eat. Hungry kid! Sucks.

Perfect LEAF Spy Candidate. You had a lot more range than you think.

Learjet said:

I've got a weak cell showing in LeafSpy - currently 165mV cell difference at 90% SOC.

I plan to get this cell or module replaced but in the meantime, like the example quoted above, do these high mV differences exacerbate the problem and hasten the total failure of the individual cell, or will the car continue to run normally until the weak cell drops to a specific voltage?

I'm trying to keep to high SOC to avoid low voltage but this involves frequent AC charging, so not sure if that makes things worse or not?

2022 SV Plus

Odometer: 13,502 miles.
SOH: 94.67%
Hx: 108.12%

*May have a few extra QCs counted from when I was trying to get an EVgo station to work when it had burned up my PDM.

e34tFqF.png

TCA said:

I've got a weak cell showing in LeafSpy - currently 165mV cell difference at 90% SOC.

I plan to get this cell or module replaced but in the meantime, like the example quoted above, do these high mV differences exacerbate the problem and hasten the total failure of the individual cell, or will the car continue to run normally until the weak cell drops to a specific voltage?

I'm trying to keep to high SOC to avoid low voltage but this involves frequent AC charging, so not sure if that makes things worse or not?

The weak cell will descend ahead of the other cells, triggering low batt, very low batt, and turtle. Won't hurt the other cells except they are being kept at a higher state of charge than what is optimal.

I suggest monitoring that weak cell pair frequently by taking screen shots after every charge. The screenshot will show the weak cell pair voltage and also the average pack voltage. This will likely show the steady decline of this cell pair in relation to the rest of the pack. Something has gone wrong in one of the cells in this cell pair and it is likely pulling down the cell paired with it. What year is this?

It's a 2016 30kWh Leaf. Yes, I've been monitoring for a couple of months and the decline is evident. Just trying to get information on how best to run the car until I get it sorted. I appreciate the situation is only going to get worse but don't want to make it worse by doing the wrong thing in the short term.

From another post it seems avoiding turtle mode and DC charging is a must, so I'll do that. Turtle is triggered at 3V I believe so I'll keep well above that. Another poster said that the low battery warnings are triggered by GIDS not individual cell voltage, so I'm not sure how one relates to the other?

Note: Should this be in a 62kwh thread? Maybe move it to the 30 kwh thread?

I lived with this exact situation for several years before successfully replacing the bad cell on my 2013. I charged it on the granny charger and ran the bad cell down to about 3.4 volts routinely. Covid happened and I was trying to get any some Nissan dealers to accept the warranty claim--so I was driving it a about 15 miles a week to discourage the rodents and keep the rotors from getting pitted. Turtling is only going to affect the weak cell--and may even accelerate the decline depending on what is wrong in the cell. DC fast charging would be contraindicated because it is possible the weak cell has high internal resistance and this would lead to local heating.

If you are still within the 8 year warranty window, you will want to get this sorted soon.

MikeinPA said:
Note: Should this be in a 62kwh thread? Maybe move it to the 30 kwh thread?

Yes, I didn't want to derail the thread, so just asked a general question equally applicable to 62kWh Leafs.

Thanks for your other comments. Good to know you continued to drive your car routinely down to 3.4V on the weak cell.

MikeinPA said:
TCA said:

The weak cell will descend ahead of the other cells, triggering low batt, very low batt, and turtle. Won't hurt the other cells except they are being kept at a higher state of charge than what is optimal.

I suggest monitoring that weak cell pair frequently by taking screen shots after every charge. The screenshot will show the weak cell pair voltage and also the average pack voltage. This will likely show the steady decline of this cell pair in relation to the rest of the pack. Something has gone wrong in one of the cells in this cell pair and it is likely pulling down the cell paired with it. What year is this?

deleted....

I have now owned my 2019 SL Plus for a full 4 years here in Phoenix. I have been recording driving/charging data and doing full discharge tests every 3 months. Here are my latest full discharge/charge statistics:
LEAF 2019 Battery Information 11B.png
The car is driven normally until the battery is deeply discharged and then climate control is used while parked in driveway until the main contactor opens. Level 2 charging is then initiated immediately to minimize time at extremely low SOC. Charging continues until charging stops automatically. Charging energy is measured using a revenue accuracy watthour meter.

Well I am starting to believe abusing your battery helps is stay healthier.

We recently drove our 2019 S+ (with crossclimate2s) to Kansas from Chicago. 90F ambient and a very toasty battery on arrival.

Yet another up adjustment, though small this time to 93.08%

128QCs and counting.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Well I am starting to believe abusing your battery helps is stay healthier.

We recently drove our 2019 S+ (with crossclimate2s) to Kansas from Chicago. 90F ambient and a very toasty battery on arrival.

Yet another up adjustment, though small this time to 93.08%

128QCs and counting.

how many stops and how did the charging plan go?

It's a standard 3 stops for the 580 miles. You can technically do it in 2, but it's likely slower. Skokie to World's largest truck stop. Then to Bevington IA, finally a top up in Bethany MO.

Sadly my adult children denied me the seat in the Leaf and they did the run while the wife and I took the Rogue.

Back