Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
evnow said:
http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

bg_04_garage_prod.jpg

Fair enough, but I see little clearance there between the door skin and the opener motor on the ceiling. I just went out and stood on the rear door sill of my LEAF in the garage. I have 6 feet 8 inches from the sill to the rafters in my garage. Elon was standing in the rear of the car with much more than 8 inches of roof mechanism above his head. At the very least, folks with low garage roofs are going to need to measure carefully.

That opener may be forward of the rear doors. Hard to tell from that photo. If it's over the front half of the car, no prob.

In our garage, passengers can't get into either the front OR rear passenger side of my vehicle due to side clearance. With falcon doors, they might :)

According to reports from people who attended the unvieling - the height to which the wongs open is configurable.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7227-Falcon-Doors/page18?p=110841#post110841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Falcon Doors are adjustable so that you can set the maximum height (like the Audi Q7) so if your garage is only 7' tall (like mine) you can still fit.

Model X is taller than the S but still not very tall relative to minivans or SUV's.

There are openers that mount on the wall next to the door, and turn a shaft over the door. Then the door itself becomes the height limitation.

Attachments

• gdo.jpg
    gdo.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 123
evnow said:
According to reports from people who attended the unvieling - the height to which the wongs open is configurable.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7227-Falcon-Doors/page18?p=110841#post110841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Falcon Doors are adjustable so that you can set the maximum height (like the Audi Q7) so if your garage is only 7' tall (like mine) you can still fit.

Model X is taller than the S but still not very tall relative to minivans or SUV's.

Good idea. Sounds like a solution.

There's a slick page on the Tesla site that features both a 360 degree rotating exterior view of the X as well as a very slick one where you can slide the doors up and down and see how they articulate.

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone here reserve one today? The regular ones require a $5k deposit and the Signature models require a $40k deposit. I reserved a regular one (#128) as it seems like it might fit our needs well. The deposit is fully refundable so I'll see what else comes out soon - hopefully we'll have all kinds of options in the next few years.

omkar said:
Anyone here reserve one today? The regular ones require a $5k deposit and the Signature models require a $40k deposit. I reserved a regular one (#128) as it seems like it might fit our needs well. The deposit is fully refundable so I'll see what else comes out soon - hopefully we'll have all kinds of options in the next few years.

Cool, Omkar. I hope you get it, 'cause I know that you'll let me drive it.

Meh.

Is bigger and heavier good in EVs?

And how does the driver or the front passenger get out of the car in those situations where the parking is so cramped that the neat-o rear doors means the difference between rear passengers being able to get out of the car or not?

The X is like the "Jersey Shore" cast: vaguely interesting to look at but almost entirely devoid of value.

aqn said:
Meh.

And how does the driver or the front passenger get out of the car in those situations where the parking is so cramped that the neat-o rear doors means the difference between rear passengers being able to get out of the car or not?

The X is like the "Jersey Shore" cast: vaguely interesting to look at but almost entirely devoid of value.

Ok then, name a comparable ICE car that is better.

aqn said:
Meh.

Looking at them articulate it's hard to imagine a parking situation where they wouldn't be easier to exit than a conventional door.

aqn said:
It's generally better in an accident, yes.
You could say the same thing about minivan doors. But they *are* useful because you don't have to worry about the kids slamming the doors into the car next to you as they get in and out of the back. Or maybe you have no problem squeezing out the driver's door, but it's easier for your elderly parents to exit out the wider opening.

aqn said:
That is the problem with the Falcons. They are making everyone focus on them - instead of all the other things. I think a high performance (4.4 sec !) large car would be very useful for a lot of families - and fun to drive.

Sigh.... Mine will possibly be the sole voice in the EV wilderness here. I opine... that Musk has made an error in judgment with the Model X, despite all its clever and innovative bells-and-whistles.

For many years now, Tesla had been claiming that their third model would be "affordable" for the "average" consumer, an EV for truly "mass market" distribution. Yet now Musk has developed another --albeit more versatile-- luxury vehicle. I'm not sure what "soccer moms" Musk knows, but I can tell you that the majority of them can barely afford sub-$30K minivans.

Sadly, it bolsters the criticism that EVs are "only for the rich," and that the government loans for such projects have ended up funding "luxury" vehicles that the majority of taxpayers simply cannot afford. I have a hard time imagining that sales of the Model S and X will significantly contribute to the goal of one million EVs on the roads by 2015.

I hope I'm wrong about that. Maybe it is because I can't afford $60K+ SUVs that I see flesh while others are admiring Musk's fine clothing. :(

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if Ghosn is rubbing his hands in delight. He now knows that, for all its whiz-bang features, the Model X will not encroach on his target market for the Leaf.

Tesla is years away from the "car for the masses" vehicle. They still have two more variations of this platform to release. All will be priced similarly I'm sure. They do have a "third platform" in the works which is smaller and it is intended for a second roadster and the small/compact car which should be affordable. They wont be able to produce these unless they get the factory up and running on the Model S/X platform first. Ghosn has nothing to worry about for a while.

tesla_ill_ns_52611_717.jpg

Yanquetino said:
For many years now, Tesla had been claiming that their third model would be "affordable" for the "average" consumer, an EV for truly "mass market" distribution. Yet now Musk has developed another --albeit more versatile-- luxury vehicle. I'm not sure what "soccer moms" Musk knows, but I can tell you that the majority of them can barely afford sub-$30K minivans.
Tesla is - and will always be - a luxury EV car maker. They are not going to make Leaf type sub-30k cars. Even their "affordable" car will be $40k or so (think BMW 3 series). Model X is just a way to expand the lineup using the same platform with smallish R&D.

Yanquetino said:
Sigh.... Mine will possibly be the sole voice in the EV wilderness here. I opine... that Musk has made an error in judgment with the Model X, despite all its clever and innovative bells-and-whistles.

Sadly, it bolsters the criticism that EVs are "only for the rich," and that the government loans for such projects have ended up funding "luxury" vehicles that the majority of taxpayers simply cannot afford. I have a hard time imagining that sales of the Model S and X will significantly contribute to the goal of one million EVs on the roads by 2015.

I hope I'm wrong about that. Maybe it is because I can't afford $60K+ SUVs that I see flesh while others are admiring Musk's fine clothing. :(

Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if Ghosn is rubbing his hands in delight. He now knows that, for all its whiz-bang features, the Model X will not encroach on his target market for the Leaf.

Their third car will be more affordable. the Roadster was never really their car. It was as much Lotus's car as it was theirs. The Bluestar sedan will be more affordable and if people can do their math correctly they will see that buying a $40,000 electric car in 2015 will cost them less in the long run than buying a $20,000 gas powered car.

aqn said:
Meh.

coolfilmaker said:
Ok then, name a comparable ICE car that is better.
WhatjutalkinboutWillis??? I don't recall claiming that there are better ICE vehicles? (What's "better" anyway? Value for the money? Performance? Amenities? Technology? Gee-whiz factor?)

The X is a "meh" to me, regardless of whether the X is powered by an ICE, an electric motor, a flux capacitor, or gerbils, for the reasons I listed. I'm not saying that those who like the X ought to have their examined; maybe I should have my head examined for not liking it. What's so great about the X other than the chicken-wing doors?

aqn said:
evnow said:
That is the problem with the Falcons. They are making everyone focus on them - instead of all the other things. I think a high performance (4.4 sec !) large car would be very useful for a lot of families - and fun to drive.
Making a vehicle roomy and luxurious and quiet and then pile on power and power storage to make it perform is kinda like ordering a double cheeseburger with a Diet Coke. For me, fast, quick, and fun to drive != weighing 2 tons. I'm more of the Lotus school than the Aston Martin/Jaguar school.

Back