Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmermd said:
lorenfb said:
1. It has a different body - Yes, but is body manufacturing process really that different? Obviously new robots & robot programming changes
2. It has different battery cells and packs - mentioned that up-thread (2170 cells), minor effect on overall body integration
3. It has different motors - mentioned that up-thread (PM motor), similar to adding a turbo to an existing ICEV, minor
4. It has different inverters - obvious needed for the PM motor (requires motor phase angle drivers for the field winding), minor
5. It has different doors.... trunk.... frunk... seats.. Roof Glass... - obviously needed for diff body, MS had glass roof
6. It has different suspension - obvious per #1
7. It has different wiring - obviously needed for a different chassis & possibly a more complex CAN, e.g. more ECUs,
& likely a central gateway ECU too, not that complex

Clearly you have never manufactured anything. I work for an automotive manufacturing company and most of these changes are huge from an engineering and manufacturing perspective. if you think the Model 3 pack design and manufacturing is anything like the Model S pack design and manufacturing then you are clearly uninformed about what it takes to build these things. The rest of the list is the same. Huge differences in engineering and manufacturing processes between these two cars. Very little in common. Except that they are both 4 door sedan with a Tesla logo on the outside.

Cybertruck may have more in common with Model 3 than Model 3 has in common with Model S. But we won't know until they build them. With Tesla, I suspect that they will again take another leap in manufacturing and engineering for the truck which will again make it totally different. What Tesla will likely do, is update the Model S design to include many of the changes learned from Model 3 and incorporate them into the Model S engineering and manufacturing to bring it up to the same standard.

Well, at least some agreement!

I'll just point out that while it certainly has the profile of one, the Model S isn't even a 4-dr. sedan, it's a 4-dr. hatchback - many people would have preferred that the Model 3 was one as well. As others have noted, the Model 3/Y have far more in common than the S/3, as the former pair are based on the same platform, and the latter pair aren't - that almost wasn't the case, until Elon was convinced by members of the board to, in his words IIRR, "not be an idiot". Back in March Tesla said this in their SEC 10-k filing (pg. 6, 1st para.):
We are designing Model Y on the Model 3 platform and expect that Model Y will share about 75% of its components with Model 3, which we expect will reduce the cost and time to ramp production of Model Y.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000156459019003165/tsla-10k_20181231.htm#Item_1

To claim that the S/3 are very similar is akin to noting that they both have 4 wheels, lights, roofs, steering wheels etc.

GRA said:
To claim that the S/3 are very similar is akin to noting that they both have 4 wheels, lights, roofs, steering wheels etc.

Who said that? Please post the quote. Focus on your H2 vehicles. I gave up on H2 5 years ago. Enough said!

meaning: to scale;

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/scale-the-business-meaning-origin

lorenfb said:
GRA said:

Who said that? Please post the quote. Focus on your H2 vehicles. I gave up on H2 5 years ago. Enough said!

Well, at least we can both agree that Hydrogen vehicles aren't worth the time. :D

Hey, I 'd just like to point out that several articles have stated that since the Cybertruck has a 240 VAC outlet, it can charge itself. That sure beats solar panels! :lol:

johnlocke said:
Hey, I 'd just like to point out that several articles have stated that since the Cybertruck has a 240 VAC outlet, it can charge itself. That sure beats solar panels! :lol:

More importantly, a CT will be able to give other EVs a roadside "jump start" given an L-2 charging cable.

johnlocke said:

120/240V. You can use it to tow or charge a LEAF.

lorenfb said:
GRA said:

You wrote:
Remember, the M3 was basically just a scaled MS, with some improvements, e.g. PM motor & 2170 batteries.
, which is far from accurate. The design stresses for a car with a large hatchback (or a CUV/SUV with "Falcon-Wing doors" FTM) that remove a large portion of the fixed-roof area as a structural member are considerably different than a 4-door sedan. The two Tesla vehicles that are reasonably similar in design/production will be the Model 3/Y, as they will use the same basic platform, albeit with some body differences.

GRA said:
lorenfb said:
GRA said:

You wrote:
Remember, the M3 was basically just a scaled MS, with some improvements, e.g. PM motor & 2170 batteries.
, which is far from accurate. The design stresses for a car with a large hatchback (or a CUV/SUV with "Falcon-Wing doors" FTM) that remove a large portion of the fixed-roof area as a structural member are considerably different than a 4-door sedan. The two Tesla vehicles that are reasonably similar in design/production will be the Model 3/Y, as they will use the same basic platform, albeit with some body differences.

Give it up!

GRA said:
lorenfb said:
Give it up!

Right back at ya - you're just about the last person who should be saying that, but feel free to take your own advice.

You obviously didn't read or understand this; https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/scale-the-business-meaning-origin
Sorry for limited ability to understand context, i.e. how scale can be used.

No, I'm just done wasting my time arguing with you.

As a side note, IMO you should be free to post anything on topic you wish (that adheres to forum guidelines) , no matter how unpopular it may be. But exactly the same right applies to everyone else.

GRA said:

As a side note, IMO you should be free to post anything on topic you wish (that adheres to forum guidelines) , no matter how unpopular it may be. But exactly the same right applies to everyone else.

Don't worry you are not trolling so you have nothing to worry about. Yes everyone can post their opinions even if they are wrong:)

EVDRIVER said:
GRA said:

Don't worry you are not trolling so you have nothing to worry about. Yes everyone can post their opinions even if they are wrong:)

I'm not worried for me, but I do have a problem with someone being threatened with banning for expressing an unpopular opinion. That doesn't constitute trolling, and IMO is all that lorenfb has done (at unending length), and all edatoakrun did before he was banned. IMO neither is or was justified.

Meanwhile, repeated, egregious violations of the terms of service by some other posters, one in particular, were essentially ignored by moderators for a very long time - that worries me far more than lorenfb's repetitious, occasionally accurate opinions re Tesla.

I can assure you that won’t be the reason. You don’t need to be concerned. Since this forum started I have banned one person after 12 warnings and 6 months. Someone’s opinion will not get them banned. We don’t need to beat this into the ground and you don’t need to be concerned for others.

The best answer to lorenfb is just to ignore him. I know that is hard to do but it is the best solution. If no one responds to him or pays attention to his posts, maybe he'll go away.

LeftieBiker said:
johnlocke said:

More importantly, a CT will be able to give other EVs a roadside "jump start" given an L-2 charging cable.
I posted that as joke after seeing two articles that suggested that the truck could charge itself but you bring up a good point about charging another car with it. Depends on the inverter size and whether it's sinewave or not. You would need at least 3-4 KW output to be practical.

I posted that as joke after seeing two articles that suggested that the truck could charge itself but you bring up a good point about charging another car with it. Depends on the inverter size and whether it's sinewave or not. You would need at least 3-4 KW output to be practical.

A one hour charge at 120 volts might be enough to get another EV home.

Back