Tesla Cybertruck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.facebook.com/Chargemap/photos/a.140877582631396/2794355780616883/?type=3&theater suggests the ancestor to Cybertruck was the Citicar/Comuta-car. :)

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1075678_ebay-watch-1980-comuta-car--retro-urban-electric-car

johnlocke said:
LeftieBiker said:
johnlocke said:
Hey, I 'd just like to point out that several articles have stated that since the Cybertruck has a 240 VAC outlet, it can charge itself. That sure beats solar panels! :lol:

More importantly, a CT will be able to give other EVs a roadside "jump start" given an L-2 charging cable.
I posted that as joke after seeing two articles that suggested that the truck could charge itself but you bring up a good point about charging another car with it. Depends on the inverter size and whether it's sinewave or not. You would need at least 3-4 KW output to be practical.

Elon said it would have 240v. The smallest 240v outlet you'll likely see would be a 6-20r, which can do 16a at 240v, so, 3.8kW. At 15mi/hr for a Model 3 or Leaf, that's not bad. I'd be thrilled if it was 9kW. At 9kW, I could power my home as long as I turn off any large 240v appliances, AND assuming it's split-phase. I doubt it will be split phase, though.

How Tesla's Cybertruck Turns Auto Manufacturing and Engineering Upside-Down

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing

Evidence? I don't really think so.

This is just another youtube video full of speculation (based upon a tweet). The guy who put up the video is hoping to cash in on youtube pay-for-clicks and his shrilling of this Tesla referral code.

My opinion: skip the useless video and don't give him clicks.

Durandal said:
johnlocke said:
LeftieBiker said:
More importantly, a CT will be able to give other EVs a roadside "jump start" given an L-2 charging cable.
I posted that as joke after seeing two articles that suggested that the truck could charge itself but you bring up a good point about charging another car with it. Depends on the inverter size and whether it's sinewave or not. You would need at least 3-4 KW output to be practical.

Elon said it would have 240v. The smallest 240v outlet you'll likely see would be a 6-20r, which can do 16a at 240v, so, 3.8kW. At 15mi/hr for a Model 3 or Leaf, that's not bad. I'd be thrilled if it was 9kW. At 9kW, I could power my home as long as I turn off any large 240v appliances, AND assuming it's split-phase. I doubt it will be split phase, though.
Quite likely to be split phase, actually. With a ground as well. They mentioned both 120 and 240 outlets. Since they claimed to be able to charge their EV ATV off the plug, a 20 amp circuit is a good bet.

Tesla released the weight class on the Cybertruck yesterday. Class 2 (8500-10000 lbs.).

I have zero interest in buying any trucks or similar sized beasts, but could see many a truck fan here in northern CA who would be seriously interested in one that can power their house during our newly frequent PG&E shutdowns in the foothills with pure sinewave power.

GCR:
Cybertruck and F-150 electric-truck buyer priorities are very different
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...yer-priorities-very-different-survey-suggests

The level of unwavering commitment from many Tesla fans to the brand and its products may have met its match: Brand allegiance runs deep in the truck world.

Those who have owned a truck before want their electric truck to come from one of the established truck brands. Meanwhile those who haven’t owned a truck before are quite attracted to the Tesla Cybertruck.

That appears to be one of the general takeaways suggested by Autolist survey results released Monday—that there's lots of room for a radically different truck like the Cybertruck, or even a fresh entry like Rivian. Of the 1,100 current car shoppers surveyed in late November and early December, Autolist asked them, if they had to choose one, whether they’d prefer the upcoming GM electric pickup, the Ford F-150 Electric, the Tesla Cybertruck, or the Rivian R1T.

To check for correlations to existing truck ownership, the survey also asked if respondents have (currently or previously) owned a full-size truck.

For those who had never owned a truck before, the Cybertruck and its most radical design ranked on top, with 25.8% of responses, followed closely by Rivian—although it was very close to a four-way tie.

None of these trucks are here today. The first of the four to arrive will likely be the Rivian R1T, starting late next year.

Looking at responses from people who had owned a truck before, the allegiances take form. For them, the yet-unnamed GT [Sic. GM] electric truck would be the choice of 35%, followed by the Ford F-150 Electric at 28%. The Rivian R1T and Tesla Cybertruck came in with 23% and 14%, respectively, from those who were truck-savvy.

The survey also found that the Cybertruck’s appeal was closely linked to age, much stronger from younger respondents.

Rivian’s styling for the R1T, which lands in a middle ground that’s more futuristic than current pickups from GM and Ford but not radically different like the Cybertruck, may be in a smart position for the market. It was the only model that consumers picked in the Autolist study for its styling. . . .

As more and more info becomes available. The CyberTruck becomes the best ever offering from Tesla, there is nothing to beat its practicality and solar option makes it "never charge" commuter for me. What else to wish for?

Leaf15 said:
As more and more info becomes available. The CyberTruck becomes the best ever offering from Tesla, there is nothing to beat its practicality and solar option makes it "never charge" commuter for me. What else to wish for?

The "never charge" isn't accurate. There's not way the small solar panel on the truck could power the car enough to avoid charging. Convenient if your ever stuck. You could wait a few hours to drive a few miles.

I suspect the solar panel will maybe give enough to keep in check the phantom (or vampire) drain that people complain a Tesla exhibits. It's really the power used by the battery TMS and the various electronics; depending upon what you have talking to the car, it can be a few % per day.

jlv said:
I suspect the solar panel will maybe give enough to keep in check the phantom (or vampire) drain that people complain a Tesla exhibits. It's really the power used by the battery TMS and the various electronics; depending upon what you have talking to the car, it can be a few % per day.

Perhaps but mine is minimal and nothing like that on my 3.

I've read it was more like 1% per day. Still, it could keep your battery from degrading due to heat if you were completely dead.

Based on Musk own words - solar bed tonneau would provide with ~15 miles of range daily and solar wind canopy option for camping (also provides shade) would provide up-to 40 miles of range daily. Yes, this pretty much addresses my concern with vampire drain as well. Splendid for me!

A solar bed cover should be able to provide something like what is claimed, if parked in direct sunlight. The Germans are about to sell a car, with solar panels covering it, that claims about the same.

Leaf15 said:
Based on Musk own words - solar bed tonneau would provide with ~15 miles of range daily and solar wind canopy option for camping (also provides shade) would provide up-to 40 miles of range daily. Yes, this pretty much addresses my concern with vampire drain as well. Splendid for me!

That's really impressive. I didn't even know about the canopy.

You have to give Musk and Co a little credit: they didn't try to pull a train and imply that it was applicable to the roads...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Au3U72CX74I[/youtube]

IEVS:
Musk Reevaluates Tesla Cybertruck Width: Size Matters, So Go Wide
https://insideevs.com/news/400372/tesla-cybertruck-width-size/

In general, full-size trucks are all about the same width and there are reasons for this.
The Tesla Cybertruck will not be some small, mid-size pickup truck. Rather, it will be a full-size electric pickup truck and, as such, certain size measurements are expected. Tesla CEO Elon Musk had initially said that the production Cybertruck would only be 80 inches wide. He now says it will be closer to 82 inches wide. Why the change in plans? . . .

Go wide or go home

Most full-size pickup trucks are around 80 inches wide these days and with each new generation of truck, this figure seems to grow ever-so slightly. The width matters for several reasons.

Bed width

The first and foremost reason why width matters is in relation to bed width. Truck beds are expected to have an internal width of at least 60 inches (but typically closer to 65 inches), but more importantly, there needs to be at least 48 inches between the wheel wells. This allows for 4-foot wide pieces of construction material to fit inside without having to rest on the wheel wells.

Ample width for 3-across seating

Trucks are expected to easily be able to seat 3 passengers across both the front (if properly equipped) and rear rows of seating. Furthermore, it's expected that these 3 passengers might all be adult-sized (think construction workers traveling to a jobsite). so a minimum width is expected for comfortable seating with 3 adults in either the front or rear or both.

Towing

When your towing a wide load, the mirrors must extend out to a far enough point so that you can somewhat see around that load.

Most trucks offer specific towing mirrors that extend outward further than the standard mirror, but still, if the base truck was too narrow, then no amount of extended mirror would provide you with an adequate view and what's behind what is being towed. . . .

Most trucks offer specific towing mirrors that extend outward further than the standard mirror, but still, if the base truck was too narrow, then no amount of extended mirror would provide you with an adequate view and what's behind what is being towed. . . .

:roll:

Back