SV buyers: Cheapskate losers or smartest guys in the room?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the SV and got switched to the SL by a mix-up in Nissan NA. The home link is totally useless to me, as I park outside. I may never use the QC or the fog lights. I doubt if the solar panel is doing anything useful. I took the cargo cover off and tossed it in the garage (but added the cargo organizer). I do use the auto headlights, but wouldn't miss them. The backup camera with the predictive path lines has turned out to be far more helpful than I expected, but that's a lot of money to pay for one feature.

If I was doing it over, I would still order an SV.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I took the cargo cover off and tossed it in the garage (but added the cargo organizer). I do use the auto headlights, but wouldn't miss them.
If I end up getting a Leaf SV, I'll buy that cargo cover off you, if the price is right...

with the discounts thru my dealer, diff in price was like less than $1400 i believe. to some it matters i guess but on a nearly $35,000 purchase, $1400 seemed insignificant.

and unlike others here. QC is THE ONLY reason why i did it. since WA is still waiting for its first one, many may not understand my decision. i think time will reveal it soon enough

So the purpose of the cargo cover is to hide valuables from prying eyes? I won't be able to afford anything else of value after I get the car so that problem takes care of itself!

LTLFTcomposite said:
So the purpose of the cargo cover is to hide valuables from prying eyes? I won't be able to afford anything else of value after I get the car so that problem takes care of itself!
You may think that now, but when you realize how much you are not giving to Saudi Arabia, you may find some dollars you threw away to heat production before. My bill went from $300+ a month to about $80, and that is gas (ICE car, truck) and electric (Leaf) use.

planet4ever said:
I doubt if the solar panel is doing anything useful. ... The backup camera with the predictive path lines has turned out to be far more helpful than I expected, but that's a lot of money to pay for one feature.... If I was doing it over, I would still order an SV.
The solar panel is gimmicky and stupid. Agree on the rear camera, but I try to avoid leaning on using it, but due to the poor rear visibility, indeed, much more useful than anticipated.

As others have said, the lack of QC infrastructure (I assumed that the wide rollout of chargers would have included multiple QC facilities, and that was a very poor assumption). Very rarely do my range requirements exceed the range capacity of a full charge.

Time will tell, but as of now, I'd rather have the money than the various features, but I have gotten used to them, especially the homelink for multiple locations. The upgrade of features was a path to the QC port for me, and I am happy, but would have been happy the other way too. Actually, I am mostly happy most of the time.

I would be very happy to drive WLA to San Diego with a couple of QCs on the way, or local mountain trips such as Big Bear, or Wrightwood, for examples.

2012 SV here. Pure economics.

In Colorado, no QC locations on the horizon, not an EV Project state, so QC port not useful.
Solar panel is a gimmic, fog lights can't see using, only one garage so HomeLinks not that interesting.

I wouldn't mind the rear camera, but for the $2050 price difference (maybe $1500 if I ordered an out-of-state orphan), just isn't worth it.

I got the QC port free as part of the EV Project so it was a no-brainer for me with the SL as it was only an $800 add then... I use and like both the Homelink and the Rear Camera. The auto headlights are nice too. Likewise with the cargo cover.

This is my first car with a backup camera (my previous two had sonar based distance beepers which I loved) and I like and use it far more than I thought I would. I think the perfect setup would be a camera AND sonar as each brings a slightly different advantage to the party, but I have found the camera to be a quite satisfactory replacement.

milanski said:
2012 SV here. Pure economics.

In Colorado, no QC locations on the horizon, not an EV Project state, so QC port not useful.
Solar panel is a gimmic, fog lights can't see using, only one garage so HomeLinks not that interesting.

I wouldn't mind the rear camera, but for the $2050 price difference (maybe $1500 if I ordered an out-of-state orphan), just isn't worth it.
Pretty much the same for me except that you Front Range folks might see QC stations someday while the chance of that is zero where I live. My dream is that some public L2 stations appear in my area, right now I have the only one within 90 miles. A few well-placed public L2 charge stations could greatly increase my range, but with only one EV in the six county area—mine—it is a tough sell. Meanwhile, I will have to depend on RV parks and they are only open in the summer.

I have little need for the backup camera at the SL price (and when the back of the car is covered with mud I wonder if it would work). The cargo cover I bought for myself, the solar panel is a useless gimmick, and I have no need for fog lights, although making them into DRLs would be nice.

My only regret about not having the QC port was seeing ingineer's prototype propane charge trailer. That I could use! Not that I could afford it. Buying my SV was a major financial stretch for me.

I ve been back and forth on the SV vs SL alot. The fiscal conservative in me says SV all the way. The only SL options that appeal are the BU camera and the storage cover. Not exactly $2k of value. I'm not expecting any DC EVSE in this area any time soon, but I could be wrong.
But after checking out the BU camera in my friends prius, I just had to have it, especially with the tiny rear window in the Leaf. So wanting the tech toy is going to rule, getting the SL. Sure hope we get a DC EVSE around here so I can charge once and claim the SL was worth it. :D

charlie1300 said:
I ve been back and forth on the SV vs SL alot. The fiscal conservative in me says SV all the way. The only SL options that appeal are the BU camera and the storage cover. Not exactly $2k of value.

The Homelink rear view mirror is nice too. I have 3 remotes to juggle when I'm not driving the LEAF, so well worth it to me.

Got the SV, no regrets after 5,500 miles. It all depends on your needs. Bought a 55 inch LED TV for my parents with the money I saved. The SL stuff was mostly fluff, with the exception of the backup camera; however, I haven't ever needed it.

mwalsh said:
charlie1300 said:
I ve been back and forth on the SV vs SL alot. The fiscal conservative in me says SV all the way. The only SL options that appeal are the BU camera and the storage cover. Not exactly $2k of value.

The Homelink rear view mirror is nice too. I have 3 remotes to juggle when I'm not driving the LEAF, so well worth it to me.

Well- after the $900 rebate on the L3 port it starts to look better.

Pretty simple for me; without the auto-headlights my wife would drive forever at night without the headlights on.
The last three cars have had the auto-lights feature and she's gotten so used to it that whenever we rent a car without that one feature it's trouble. So SL == auto headlights = sold. Not worth the training required to go back to the old manual method.
Other stuff is nice too.

DaveinOlyWA said:
with the discounts thru my dealer, diff in price was like less than $1400 i believe. to some it matters i guess but on a nearly $35,000 purchase, $1400 seemed insignificant.

Dealers love this thought process.

$1400 does matter to me, and is the same whether it is a few digits on a piece of paper, or a nice stack of $100 bills in my hand.

JimSouCal said:
planet4ever said:
I doubt if the solar panel is doing anything useful. ... The backup camera with the predictive path lines has turned out to be far more helpful than I expected, but that's a lot of money to pay for one feature.... If I was doing it over, I would still order an SV.
The solar panel is gimmicky and stupid. Agree on the rear camera, but I try to avoid leaning on using it, but due to the poor rear visibility, indeed, much more useful than anticipated.

As others have said, the lack of QC infrastructure (I assumed that the wide rollout of chargers would have included multiple QC facilities, and that was a very poor assumption). Very rarely do my range requirements exceed the range capacity of a full charge.

Time will tell, but as of now, I'd rather have the money than the various features, but I have gotten used to them, especially the homelink for multiple locations. The upgrade of features was a path to the QC port for me, and I am happy, but would have been happy the other way too. Actually, I am mostly happy most of the time.

I would be very happy to drive WLA to San Diego with a couple of QCs on the way, or local mountain trips such as Big Bear, or Wrightwood, for examples.
+1 on the gimmicky solar panel.

I got the SL-QC and although here in North Carolina we are WAY :shock: behind California/Oregon/Washington in number of QC public stations, it's just a matter of time b4 the infrastructure will be there. They're planning on putting a couple of 'em at the Lynx stations in Charlotte (light rail system running uptown).

The backup camera is an absolute wonderful blessing. My next door neighbor is driving a suburban with one of those on it, but he spends over $100 to fill up and I spend $0 :D

My understanding is that the solar panel trickle charges the single battery for the headlights, etc. So maybe that'll last a bit longer. I hope.

coqui said:
I got the SL-QC and although here in North Carolina we are WAY :shock: behind California/Oregon/Washington in number of QC public stations, it's just a matter of time b4 the infrastructure will be there. They're planning on putting a couple of 'em at the Lynx stations in Charlotte (light rail system running uptown).

The backup camera is an absolute wonderful blessing.
You're not far behind California in QC stations and will be tied when your first one goes in. :(

With the exception of the solar panel, I find all the SV components useful for us. Of course, QC is currently just a ride-along, but with the advice of others here on the forum, I decided not to burn that bridge.

The backup camera sounds useful, but the $1400 we SV buyers saved could go a long way to customizing our cars - different wheels and tires, leather seat covers, sound system upgrade, etc.

The backup camera sold the package to me; especially once I test drove a LEAF that had it. I realized how much of what's behind is obscured -- especially in the LEAF, but in any car really. When put in terms of not denting or scraping your car or someone else's, it's worthwhile. When put in terms of not running over a small child, it suddenly seems more like a moral imperative. Because I suddenly realized all of the times I've backed vehicles up with a huge unavoidable blind spot that easily could have been hiding a child. And no matter how situationally aware or how diligently I might "clear the area" before getting in the car, etc..., kids have a way of materializing.

I think a case can be made for making these required safety equipment. And I don't say any of this to criticize anyone who made another choice, just explaining how it changed my thinking. I've never driven a vehicle with the feature before.

Back