SV buyers: Cheapskate losers or smartest guys in the room?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

So I opted for the base model, now I'm hearing I'm way in the minority. For those who went for the SL and have had their cars a while are you finding much value in the extra features?

LTLFTcomposite said:
So I opted for the base model, now I'm hearing I'm way in the minority. For those who went for the SL and have had their cars a while are you finding much value in the extra features?

LOVE the backup camera, and could not see me wanting a car without that feature now. LOVE the home-link rear view mirror - much better than carrying the 3 remotes I used to have to tote. Always HAD to have a car with fog lamps, 'cause they just look cooler than cars without them. HAD to have the cargo cover, to keep all my expensive stuff out of view (though now I have limo tint in the hatch window, so not quite as necessary). And I've already ran into at least one SV owner bemoaning being without CHAdeMO fast-charging. So while I don't think you're necessarily a cheapskate looser, I am still glad I spent the extra for the SL w/ QC.

I originally ordered an SV model. However it kept being delayed and delayed. Eventually I found an orphan SL model and cancelled my original order. Even though I have the SL, it still does not have the chademo port. (not all SL models have it) but I have enjoyed the backup camera and the garage door opener on the mirror. Don't think I'd miss any of the extra features like the solar panel, etc..

As there are essentially no QC stations in my area, I don't feel I'm missing much at the moment.

There is absolutely no way I would do it differently, I went with the SL. when we have DC QC in this area, it will become abundantly clear how valuable that port is, especially as the temp drops and using the hungry heater become imperative.

mwalsh said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

LOVE the backup camera, and could not see me wanting a car without that feature now. LOVE the home-link rear view mirror - much better than carrying the 3 remotes I used to have to tote. Always HAD to have a car with fog lamps, 'cause they just look cooler than cars without them. HAD to have the cargo cover, to keep all my expensive stuff out of view (though now I have limo tint in the hatch window, so not quite as necessary). And I've already ran into at least one SV owner bemoaning being without CHAdeMO fast-charging. So while I don't think you're necessarily a cheapskate looser, I am still glad I spent the extra for the SL w/ QC.

+1, I agree with mwalsh's evaluation of the SL features. I only have one remote, though, and I actually am using the remote instead of the Homelink because the remote's button is easier to use and easier to reach, clipped to the sun visor. The rear camera is a must for me. Looking backward while reversing is not as easy as it once was, and the view rearwards on the LEAF is not the greatest, so the camera is a real help.

And who would want to be without a solar panel on an EV, I ask you? :lol: Actually, the people I encounter who are interested in hearing about the LEAF actually are impressed with the solar panel. But clearly it's of no particular use. I do think it's cool, though.

mwalsh said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
LOVE the backup camera, and could not see me wanting a car without that feature now.
Took the 15-year old out for his first driving session in the Leaf this weekend. Had him back into parking spaces, around corners, etc. The camera makes it way too easy. I'm going to put masking tape over it for our next drive.

I really like the backup camera - when I drive the other car which doesn't have one - I really miss it.

Not used QC till now. Nor homelink or fog lights.

One of the reasons so many "chose" SL was because of EV project. So, among people not in EVP, SL vs SV is not overwhelmingly one sided.

It is almost worth it just for the back-up camera. IMHO, that is the big thing you will miss with just an SV.

+1 on the backup camera. It's superb for backing into tight spaces, and in general for avoiding backup collisions, and I really miss it whenever I'm driving another car.

That said, my primary reasons for ordering an SL were for the fog lights and quick charge port. We occasionally have to drive through really dense fog where the fog lights actually make a difference. Paying for the quick charge port is a bit of a gamble given the current dearth of infrastructure, but I would not want to be on the losing side of that gamble should more DC Fast Chargers become available in our region. They have the potential to make the LEAF tremendously more useful to us.

If I were you, I'd switch that order to an SL. :)

I was going to go SV until I get into the Ecotality program. Now I am happy I HAd to upgrade since I like the homelink and BU camera. However, in one sense I agree that SV makes sense, I doubt I will ever use my QC port!

I'm happy I have the SL (backup cam and homelink, mainly) and the QC port. However, since those are "nice" to have at best, and I've yet to actually USE my QC port, I certainly do not think that opting for the SV is any sort of "loser" move at all.

Speaking as someone who, originally, ordered an SV, my reason for doing so was that a couple of the features of the SL (the homelink and backup camera) I have on my Prius and I never use them. Why pay extra for something you know you’ll never use?

Also, as a South Florida resident, I am watching how slow the rollout of the QC locations are along the west coast and thinking there's no way there's going to be a QC location anywhere near where I live for at least the next ten years.

It was only because my SV deal fell through, and Fontana Nissan was offering an irresistible deal on orphan SLs, that I switched to an SL.

By the way... it appears that 2012 orders are running about eight or nine to one in favor of the SLs over the SVs.

I still don't have mine yet, but I'd still lean towards the SV.

Even though I have a backup camera on my Prius and have Homelink on it too (my two previous cars had Homelink too), I don't feel they + the QC port are worth an extra ~$2K. The QC rollout in Nor Cal (where I live) has been a disaster so far and since I plan to lease for 3 or 4 years, my guess is that within that timeframe, I don't think it's likely there will be many operational (not vandalized, esp. via copper thieves) public QC stations available in areas where it's useful to me and at a reasonable cost.

I think I'll just pay for the cargo cover via the parts counter.

If I need to go a trip that's beyond the range of a Leaf and can't charge enough via public L1 or L2 during the trip, I'd take my Prius.

In the past I had regrets on not buying an upgraded model, so I just decided this time to avoid that problem. ;) Sort of a reverse buyer's regret.

I am picking up my SV on Wednesday. The only SL feature I would like and actually use is the backup camera and I would have bought it had it been available as a separate upgrade. But as my dad used to say when I was a kid, you need to learn that you can't have everthing you want. :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Thanks all for the feedback. Bottom line no love for the SV.
It is still an EV, and as such deserves much love. The important parts of the car you still get, and for less money. Pretty smart economics, if you ask me.

The only thing I wish I had is the QC port. But, then again, there are no chargers operational
in Washington anyway. The rest of the stuff I'd never use.

I bought the SL for the BU camera, auto headlights, home link, rear cargo cover.
I did not get the QC port and I doubt I will ever want it. Happy to have the $700+ in my pocket.

I completely understand those that went with the SV. Basic great car.

Back