Surveys

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

I've never been subjected to so many surveys until I bought my Leaf. Going through my email I found 12 emails soliciting Leaf-related surveys since 2/15/12. I'm including things related to my Blink EVSE or remote charging, etc. I know there were at least 2 solicited by phone (which I didn't take) and some that popped up after doing something online, not shown in email. I also only searched on the word "survey" so I may have missed some that didn't use that word (e.g. "Help us with our research...") It was even heavier right after I bought it in June 2011. I also deleted a bunch of emails from my local Leaf user group reminding me to take a survey to help out this or that research group, so the number of solicitations is actually much greater. I never kept count of how many surveys I actually took, but I estimate I received about 4 solicitations a month on average this year and took at least one survey a month. Many were from Nissan, but most were not. Has anybody else experienced this? Being retired and maybe too highly opinionated I usually don't mind taking the time for a survey, but this is really ridiculous. It seems to me that there must already be plenty of information out there from previous surveys, Carwings, dealers, normal product feedback channels, etc. Our last new car before the Leaf, an Acura, was bought in 2006 and we only had one or two follow-up surveys. I'm curious as to people's opinions on this. I'm tempted to make this a poll, but the irony would be too much.

I took a couple before I realized it was out of control and these were coming from all kinds of unknown sources. Now I just toss them all.

They will know I liked the car if I buy/lease another one.

While I got a good number of survey offers in the beginning, it has tapered off. I only bothered to answer the ones from Nissan directly (in hopes they'll actually improve their product and software for our current vehicle) or ones that offer some type of financial incentive (whether directly to me or to the local Leaf organization).

I have received numerous survey and focus group requests, some were paid, some were in person and others were online.

Over two years, I have done a number of them. Some are just about the Leaf, some are about EVs, and some seem to be targeting someone like me who would buy a new product line. I find I enjoy them and some are far more interesting than others.

My general take is to avoid a focus group that requires travel unless the compensation for the time at the focus group is at least $100 an hour, as travel time and arrive-early-to-fill-out-paperwork time usually consumes at least two hours. That is especially true as I leave plenty of freeway leeway to arrive on early.
I have been offered as little as $100 for two hours and as much as $500 for three hours.

I will do some online surverys for free, if they take less than 10 minutes.

I know there are arguments about being a good EV citizen and helping to make a better EV, and I appreciate those. But these are billion dollar companies and they dont give me a discount when I buy because I am nice man.

The tough thing about the Leaf is it's darn near the only game in town. In the battle of Accord vs Camry vs Altima vs Sonata vs Malibu vs Fusion people vote with their feet and the sales figures provide the feedback. Manufacturers have to quickly figure out why the appropriate market share isn't flowing their way or things get real ugly real fast. No such competition like that exists in EVs though, so owners are a curiosity to be studied, like newborn pandas.

I don't usually bother with the EV surveys but one came recently saying they'd give me $200 for a few hours of my time. I waited a week or so before calling, and then decided "why not"?

I called and the woman who answered seemed rather annoyed. She asked what kind of car I had and I told her Nissan LEAF. Her tone of voice got even more annoyed.

"We're up to our necks already in LEAFs".

Well, EX-CUUUUUUUSE MEEEeeeeee! :roll: :lol:

Back