Struggling with End of Lease Decisions 2013 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVforRobert said:
Cars.com publishes the VIN in the listing and if the dealer offers free Carfax it is there, too. You can search for your trim level and color and it may turn up somewhere near you.

Has NMAC made an offer to reduce your residual ?

My last lender, ally, was uncooperative because I believe they had residual loss insurance. They didn't want to deal with me. My car listed on a car lot certified for $8500 less than residual within a week. By then I had moved onto my LEAF.

Thanks! I had the reduced residual offer ($15,805 at the end of August), but, frankly, it was not that attractive in light of the prices on the used market. At that, I would likely be even money or better off leasing a 2015 for 36 months.

I think the economic reality for me is going to be either buying used or just giving up on an EV until the next generation. I can't make the numbers work keeping the current car or leasing a new one.

Wanted to update this, as I know there are a lot of people in the same boat. I am leaning toward buying a 2013 SV with about the same mileage, for $10,500. It doesn't have the LED/Quick Charge package that mine has, but I think it's a good enough purchase that the trade-off is ok.

I also found a local dealer trying to unload a 2015 SV with very low mileage that was used in their rental fleet. It's tempting, but more than I want to spend (and too close to some of the brand new 2015 deals I'm seeing on here).

I do feel a lot better about purchasing than I did. I can realistically purchase for the same price as I could lease, and I'll have some value at the end.

The 2015 SV would have a much better battery pack than the 2013, plus a warranty for three years. You'd have nothing to lose in making them an offer for an amount that you would be happy paying for it.

LeftieBiker said:
The 2015 SV would have a much better battery pack than the 2013, plus a warranty for three years. You'd have nothing to lose in making them an offer for an amount that you would be happy paying for it.

Thanks. I'm working on getting a solid price for a new 2015 SV with the options I want (I really love the LED light package, even though it's definitely not necessary). I think the dealership still wants too much for the rental 2015, even if it is essentially new. It's hard for me to justify a $4000+ difference between the 2013 and 2015, even though I know there are significant advantages and a better resale value. I do see this as a bridge car for me until the next gen comes out, so 3-4 years, most likely.

And yesterday I thought I had decided. Ha!

The more you can wait the better of a deal you will get. When the MY16 hits the lots expect to see even better deals on the 15 as well as the used 13's.

I had a conversation with a local INDEPENDENT dealer the other night who put it plainly.

"I HATE the Nissan LEAF!"

He doesn't hate the car, per se, but he hates the fact that the resale value is so low he WILL NOT take one in trade for another vehicle. He says he can't sell them because new ones can be purchased at more reasonable prices.

I currently lease a 2015 S will consider buying it at the end of the lease in 2017. By that time, newer models with perhaps newer styling will drive the price down even further. Make no mistake, I love the LEAF. If I can buy mine for $10k or less it could be a no-brainer.

But will Nissan make a deal? I guess time will tell.

SO FAR, THEY HAVE SHOWN NO INCLINATION TO ALLOW THEM TO BE BOUGHT FOR ANYWHERE NEAR WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY WORTH...
(Stupid Caps key!) They would rather take a bath at auction! I don't see that changing! You have to love corporate mentality!

Gearscout said:
But will Nissan make a deal? I guess time will tell.

Back