Steal Your Battery program: Any news? Hello Nissan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Jeff from Nissan:

I did receive FairwoodRed's email and I did see the posting. I haven't engaged, because quite frankly I haven't had anything to report, and I certainly didn't want to tease or insult anyone by posting "hellos". I have responded to a number of direct emails, and I will continue to do so.

A point on the battery issues: I can tell you that this is a top subject within Nissan. It is still being worked on every day -- as much as you may find that hard to believe. In addition to the working team's activities, Billy has presented an update to the Executive Committee every month since the Arizona meeting.

This may or may not be of interest, but I think that it signifies that the Nissan executives intend for Nissan to be the EV and zero emissions leader for a long time: as of April 1, Billy reports directly to the COO, Shiga-san, and Shiga-san is now the chairman of an EV steering committee which meets regularly to identify any issues -- whether product-, service-, or sales-related -- and determine corrective actions.

Finally, Andy's definition of Spring. Andy has every intention of reporting on the issues prior to or by the time Spring is ended. Although many of us might cite Memorial Day as the end of Spring and the start of Summer, the official date of is June 20th.

You can write to me anytime. Ask me whatever is on your mind.

Jeff

Bravo. and I will keep reviving this so that you know we havent forgotten and want a Nissan defined:
battery price
core price
installation price

not dealer driven.

Personally, I would not feel insulted if you posted "hellos". It would make me feel that you are actively supporting members on this forum.

Hawk0630 said:

I haven't engaged, because quite frankly I haven't had anything to report, and I certainly didn't want to tease or insult anyone by posting "hellos". I have responded to a number of direct emails, and I will continue to do so.

Jeff

Alas, once again we seem to be playing semantics...

And I agree with the others: A message once in a while would go a long way toward enhancing credibility...

Hawk0630 said:
Finally, Andy's definition of Spring. Andy has every intention of reporting on the issues prior to or by the time Spring is ended. Although many of us might cite Memorial Day as the end of Spring and the start of Summer, the official date of is June 20th.

TomT said:

And I agree with the others: A message once in a while would go a long way toward enhancing credibility...

Hawk0630 said:

Perhaps the revelation of a battery price will be revealed by Andy in an elaborate Summer Solstice ritual in which Andy is dressed as some sort of goat-god and Shiga-San comes down from a flaming cloud and writes the price for him on a piece of Fine Corinthian Leather using the blood of virgin Phoenix Leafs. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

TomT said:
Hawk0630 said:
Spring does last from March 21 to June 19th, so I don't think this is just Andy's definition.

jspearman said:
TomT said:

Hawk0630 said:

Perhaps the revelation of a battery price will be revealed by Andy in an elaborate Summer Solstice ritual in which Andy is dressed as some sort of goat-god and Shiga-San comes down from a flaming cloud and writes the price for him on a piece of Fine Corinthian Leather using the blood of virgin Phoenix Leafs. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
Virgin Phoenix Leafs? Hey, I'll bet they are HOT---especially in the summer. :lol:

mynameisjim said:
I think it is poor form to quote "spring" if your true intentions are June 19.
This assumes that the Nissan folks at the Phoenix meeting had a specific date in mind. It seems clear to me that the "Spring" date was aspirational and that it is proving more complex than anticipated to come up with the promised battery pricing scheme. Wasn't there a rumor that the Smyrna battery production was going more slowly than expected? Perhaps they are still in the process of tweaking the chemistry or something.

Yes, I'd sure like to know what the battery pricing will be since, unlike many here, I purchased my LEAF with the intention of keeping it for a long time (and the resale value is much too low for it to be cost-effective to sell it and buy/lease another). But it seems clear from Hawk0630's post that Nissan is aware of the intense interest in the subject and is working on it. Further nagging seems unnecessary. For now. JMO.

The slow response from Nissan is a reason I feel Tesla has a better chance of being the dominate EV player in the future. Decision making is too slow. I see immediate response from Elon Musk regarding various issues and concerns regarding Tesla's vehicles.

Hawk0630 said:

I did receive FairwoodRed's email and I did see the posting. I haven't engaged, because quite frankly I haven't had anything to report, and I certainly didn't want to tease or insult anyone by posting "hellos". I have responded to a number of direct emails, and I will continue to do so.

A point on the battery issues: I can tell you that this is a top subject within Nissan. It is still being worked on every day -- as much as you may find that hard to believe. In addition to the working team's activities, Billy has presented an update to the Executive Committee every month since the Arizona meeting.

This may or may not be of interest, but I think that it signifies that the Nissan executives intend for Nissan to be the EV and zero emissions leader for a long time: as of April 1, Billy reports directly to the COO, Shiga-san, and Shiga-san is now the chairman of an EV steering committee which meets regularly to identify any issues -- whether product-, service-, or sales-related -- and determine corrective actions.

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for making a public reply. Periodic status updates help to remind us of how hard you're working on our concerns. I disagree that there was nothing to report, and I do so for a very important reason. Andy set the expectation of having a battery price in March/April. When that timeframe came and went, I expected to hear something about why the date was missed, that you're continuing to work on it, and some form of a new timeframe - all the things that you've just provided us.

I think that most of us have spent enough time in the real world to understand that few things go as planned and on time. As such, I'm sure that all of us agree that keeping us updated of the status (good, bad, or otherwise) is much better than than leaving us to wonder "whatever happened to ...". The fact that Billy has been giving monthly updates to the Executive Committee is of high interest to us. Seeing on-going proof of Nissan's commitment to EV's only bolsters my enthusiasm that a wonderful car will get the remaining issues sorted out.

Again, thanks for the info that you provided yesterday.

+1. Its Human Nature To Want To Be Completely In The Loop And Many Will Judge Jeffs Response As NNN And That Is To Be Expected. We All Feel That If We Had Intimate Knowledge Of The Process That We Could Somehow Predict When Things Will Happen And Is Almost Never The Case.
FairwoodRed said:
Hawk0630 said:

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for making a public reply. Periodic status updates help to remind us of how hard you're working on our concerns. I disagree that there was nothing to report, and I do so for a very important reason. Andy set the expectation of having a battery price in March/April. When that timeframe came and went, I expected to hear something about why the date was missed, that you're continuing to work on it, and some form of a new timeframe - all the things that you've just provided us.

I think that most of us have spent enough time in the real world to understand that few things go as planned and on time. As such, I'm sure that all of us agree that keeping us updated of the status (good, bad, or otherwise) is much better than than leaving us to wonder "whatever happened to ...". The fact that Billy has been giving monthly updates to the Executive Committee is of high interest to us. Seeing on-going proof of Nissan's commitment to EV's only bolsters my enthusiasm that a wonderful car will get the remaining issues sorted out.

Again, thanks for the info that you provided yesterday.

myleaf said:
The slow response from Nissan is a reason I feel Tesla has a better chance of being the dominate EV player in the future. Decision making is too slow. I see immediate response from Elon Musk regarding various issues and concerns regarding Tesla's vehicles.
Tesla has little to lose and everything to gain from quick responses.

A mature company will always behave differently from a new one - mainly because an established company has a lot more to lose from hasty decisions.

i dont think that is it, dave.
small companies - especially owner-controlled companies - have the ability to be nimble; that doesnt mean they are.
large ones might wish to be nimble, but they dont have the ability.

+1 :lol:

jspearman said:

Yep, unless they somehow screw up badly in the years ahead - which is unlikely - I think they will own the market for other than cheap, little, crappy EVs...

myleaf said:

Tom T said: "Yep, unless they somehow screw up badly in the years ahead - which is unlikely - I think they will own the market for other than cheap, little, crappy EVs..."

If you're inferring that the Nissan Leaf is a cheap, little, crappy EV, I beg to disagree with you. :?

TomT said:
Yep, unless they somehow screw up badly in the years ahead - which is unlikely - I think they will own the market for other than cheap, little, crappy EVs...

myleaf said:

are you calling the LEAF cheap little crappy?
or do i and derk read it wrong?

Nope, I mean the Smart, the Spark, the i-miev, the Fortwo, and the like... But if they manage to bring out something in the price range of the Leaf SL that maintains the Tesla feature set, it may in fact be true that they'll eat up the Leaf market as well...

derkraut said:
Tom T said: "Yep, unless they somehow screw up badly in the years ahead - which is unlikely - I think they will own the market for other than cheap, little, crappy EVs..."
If you're inferring that the Nissan Leaf is a cheap, little, crappy EV, I beg to disagree with you. :?

Back