SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not going to be able to make it, gotta help a mate build a patio. Next time. Also if you guys organize another openevse maker-day I'll definitely be in for that!
Thanks,

Dave

On the 20th, I am goiing to the San Diego Gathering.

Our next Gathering is on the 27th in Santa Ana.

The next workshop is yet to be scheduled, but one needs
to arrange to buy parts before one can do much assembly.

garygid said:
This coming Saturday (the 13th) I plan to bring a CANary (Roadkill, or Pancake
version), and a GizmoV1 to show and use on anybody's LEAF . . . . snip . . . .
dang me ... I'm already at work today ... so everyone have a great time at the meet-up.

Next Gathering, and week from this coming Saturday.

Suggestions for Gathering dates in May?

Boomer would like to have a Gathering of some kind at
his house in Irvine, near Jamboree and 405 as I recall.

garygid said:

I'm thinking early June for my house, Gary.

For May gatherings, I suggest that we go with the natural progression of alternate weeks, with Cerritos on May 11 and Santa Ana on May 25.

My talk at Claremont's Earth Day, this Saturday, April 20, is scheduled for 1 PM.
The title is "Reducing your Carbon Footprint with Plug-In Electric Vehicles."
The location is Indian Hill & 2nd St.

It would be great if any of you can make it. Pomona College has 6 ChargePoint stations that are very lightly used. The stations are well separated and the whole parking structure is very lightly used, so there is no chance of being ICEd. You can check their availability that morning on the ChargePoint network. It is a .5 mile level walk west from the Pomona parking structure on 1st street to the lecture location. Right now, Thursday morning, I see some of these stations are offline. I will check that out today, including contacting ChargePoint.

<<Edit>> I verified in person that all 6 Pomona ChargePoints are working perfectly, despite network report. First time I have seen evidence that ChargePoint's network can be inaccurate. I reported network problem to ChargePoint.

----------------------
Yesterday I attended a very interesting meeting between ChargePoint's SouthWest Sales Director Brendan O'Donnell, whom I had met at the San Juan Capistrano dedication, and Claremont's senior planner for sustainability. Representatives of ChargePoint's installer company were also present.

Some information new to me:
Their new dual-J1772 model lists for 6.7K$. This lowers the price premium vs a pair of ClipperCreek units.
The network fee is $240 per year per J1772 cable. I know this sounds quite high, but it is lower than my previous understanding. Even with light use, Pomona College is making a profit beyond this fee on $1.25/hour.
The units have the ability to charge different prices for different current draws, and this is legal in CA.

I feel the availability statistics that Plugshare now publishes for most ChargePoint stations are quite valuable to the EV driver to reduce "availability anxiety."

It sounded like Claremont's planner was very close to being sold on getting two dual J1772 units, for a total of 4 J-plugs. They were offering him various discounts. After the meeting, we checked out the power availability for the two locations, one at City Hall, and one at the parking structure west of Indian Hill.

---------------
See my post in "500 Nissan QC" thread about Cerritos Nissan.

Definitely will make the 27 April meet in Santa Ana. Tried making last week, but currently away on business. Looking forward to meeting some folks.

dcpatters said:
Definitely will make the 27 April meet in Santa Ana. Tried making last week, but currently away on business. Looking forward to meeting some folks.

Very cool, looking forward to meeting you. Perhaps you can demonstrate your Around View Monitor and that nice leather interior for us. :D

Shirley from Auto Research just called me and is looking for LEAF drivers for a focus group in LA on May 8 from 3-7:15pm. Homework required but comp is $400. 800-644-4275.

KeiJidosha said:
Shirley from Auto Research just called me and is looking for LEAF drivers for a focus group in LA on May 8 from 3-7:15pm. Homework required but comp is $400. 800-644-4275.

Thanks Mr Jidosha! I got in to a portion of the study, but no homework, so easier gig. Apparently I was aged out of the full study. Discrimination, says I! But at least I'm in on part of it.

Boomer23 said:
garygid said:

I'm thinking early June for my house, Gary.

For May gatherings, I suggest that we go with the natural progression of alternate weeks, with Cerritos on May 11 and Santa Ana on May 25.

Hi all, I have not been able to make recent meetings....too many other Saturday events. I plan to make it May 25 in Santa Ana if planned for then. Miss you guys!

Next Gathering is this coming Saturday, at the Hometown Buffet on
17th Street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East of I-5.

I plan to be here from around 8 AM to at least 11.

I might stay until after 12 in order to sample the Mongolia Stir Fry.

I intend to bring the CANary, a GizmoV1, and the ELM327 bluetooth
app for Android.

If you have an Android smartphone with BlueTooth
capability, I suggest that you download this "LEAF Battery" app from
the end of the first post in the thread that has ELM327 in the title,
from those in the LEAF CANbus subforum. Linky:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then, with the ELM327 adapters that I have, we can try the app
on your Android device, tablet, phone, etc.

Added Linky above.

If you have an Android device and want me to talk you through
getting this app, then just PM me with your phone number
and a good time to call.

As this app (application, or program) evolves, it has the potential
to be a very useful tool.

garygid said:
The May Gatherings will be in Cerritos on May 11 and Santa Ana on May 25.
It is very likely that Cerritos Nissan will have their DCQC operational by May 11. Their location is about a mile from Cerritos HTB, so any folks who live further away can now easily attend our Cerritos gatherings.

Back