So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TickTock said:
Yes, I always reset the efficiency meter and the average mph every time I start the vehicle. I reset the trip meter every time I charge. And yes - when I charged to 80% I always got the warning within 1 mile from home (at ~ mile 46).

Honestly, something doesn't add up. Is there some other piece of info we should know? Where are you? What is the typical temperature? What are the elevation changes, if any?

Ok, there IS SIGNIFICANT additional info from your post in the thread "I want my 281".

TickTock said:
Started charging at 11pm with 61 gids and 2 bars remaining
Ended 80% charge at 2am with 197 gids, 9 bars, 386V having drawn 11kWh from the wall
Started charging again at 10:20am with 197 and 9 bars
Ended 100% charge at 11:30am with 238 gids, 12 bars, 394V having drawn 4.3kWh from the wall

Ending at 238 Gids, out of 281.... Uh, the smoking gun has been found!!!!

TickTock said:
JPWhite said:
80% charge will get me 58 Miles

is that 58 miles from 80% to LBW or to turtle?

That will be turtle. I redid my calcs after I realized there are two 'hidden' bars below LBW. I calculated on 12 bars, but really its 14 bars so redid my formula. To LBW its under 50 miles.

JPWhite said:
TickTock said:
JPWhite said:
80% charge will get me 58 Miles

is that 58 miles from 80% to LBW or to turtle?

That will be turtle. I redid my calcs after I realized there are two 'hidden' bars below LBW. I calculated on 12 bars, but really its 14 bars so redid my formula. To LBW its under 50 miles.

I typically get the LBW with ~8miles remaining on the range estimator and 1 or 2 bars. Sounds like you get the LBW with no bars remaining (hence the 'hidden' bars comment). If you don't mind sharing, what are your driving conditions (% freeway, speed, etc)?

TickTock said:
I typically get the LBW with ~8miles remaining on the range estimator and 1 or 2 bars. Sounds like you get the LBW with no bars remaining (hence the 'hidden' bars comment). If you don't mind sharing, what are your driving conditions (% freeway, speed, etc)?

Yeah the LBW doesn't occur until the last bar is gone and the guess-o-meter shows 8 miles left and starts to flash.

15 mile commute to work (each way), about 50% of each leg is on the highway trucking at 69. I just like that number :) I make the occasional trip to Nashville on the interstate, so most of that is at 70 or so. Otherwise its side roads mostly at 45. Finally the heat is gone, so now comes the heating season, be interesting to see how much the heat sucks the battery down.

TonyWilliams said:
I would imagine that average is probably about 3.5 miles/kWh, since that's about what I get if I drive it like any other car.

That may be the 'average' for someone using the Interstates/freeways at between 65 and 70mph, but anyone just using surface streets should average much higher.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
I would imagine that average is probably about 3.5 miles/kWh, since that's about what I get if I drive it like any other car.

That may be the 'average' for someone using the Interstates/freeways at between 65 and 70mph, but anyone just using surface streets should average much higher.

I actually get about the same miles/kWh in town that I get on the highway, if I'm not paying particular attention. In other words, just worried about getting from point A to B, and not so concerned with how efficient that is. Now that I approach 10,000 miles on the car, the efficiency part has become a learned behavior.

Yes, a LEAF driver can get higher numbers. But, if you took 100 people off the street and put them in your car for a 10 mile loop around town on surface streets, I suspect the number would be in the 3.5 m/kWh range, or maybe even lower.

What could or should happen is learned. Clearly, folks who have driven electric cars had an advantage over me on my first day in the car with no training whatsoever on efficient use of the car.

TonyWilliams said:
What could or should happen is learned. Clearly, folks who have driven electric cars had an advantage over me on my first day in the car with no training whatsoever on efficient use of the car.

I have never had a BEV before, but I learned how to increase my mpg/mpe using the ScanGaugeII with my Honda GX. A few times, I hit 58mpg on a 26 mile trip, mostly hwy. I hit 56mpg in my wife's Corolla on a 6 mile city trip. Now, I just use the energy meter, bubbles, and the m/kW h on the dash to achieve high m/kW h.

LEAFfan said:
Now, I just use the energy meter, bubbles, and the m/kW h on the dash to achieve high m/kW h.

Yes, the exact same tools I had, and everybody else has, on my first day with the car. Funny, my performance wasn't that good on day 1. So, there seems to be something beyond those tools that was different.

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:
Now, I just use the energy meter, bubbles, and the m/kW h on the dash to achieve high m/kW h.
Yes, the exact same tools I had, and everybody else has, on my first day with the car. Funny, my performance wasn't that good on day 1. So, there seems to be something beyond those tools that was different.

You may have missed it. What helped me was using the ScanGaugeII with my ICE car. If you don't or didn't have this tool, then it would be much more difficult to hypermile IMO.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:

You may have missed it. What helped me was using the ScanGaugeII with my ICE car. If you don't or didn't have this tool, then it would be much more difficult to hypermile IMO.

No, I didn't miss that. You brought learned behavior (from the ScanGauge) to the LEAF, and use the same tools with that learned behavior to maximize your economy.

TonyWilliams said:
TickTock said:
Yes, I always reset the efficiency meter and the average mph every time I start the vehicle. I reset the trip meter every time I charge. And yes - when I charged to 80% I always got the warning within 1 mile from home (at ~ mile 46).
Honestly, something doesn't add up. Is there some other piece of info we should know? Where are you? What is the typical temperature? What are the elevation changes, if any?

Ok, there IS SIGNIFICANT additional info from your post in the thread "I want my 281".
TickTock said:
Ended 80% charge at 2am with 197 gids, 9 bars, 386V having drawn 11kWh from the wall
Ended 100% charge at 11:30am with 238 gids, 12 bars, 394V having drawn 4.3kWh from the wall
Yep - that sure would explain TickTock's low range - that's by far the lowest Gid reading I've seen posted on the forum for a "100%" charge. Sure seems like either the pack is severely out of balance or there are some weak cells in the pack. I would love to see a picture of the battery gauge when fully charged.

FWIW, I drove ~42 miles today on a mix of surface roads (24 mi) and freeway (16 mi) w/AC as needed over 4 trips.
Started at 80% charge.
Drove 14 miles on surface roads of 35-55 mph.
Drove 8 miles on freeway 65-70 mph.
Drove 8 miles on freeway 65-70 mph.
Drove 12 miles on surface roads of 35-55 mph.

Got home w/dash reading 4.3 mi/kWh, 2 bars and 19 GOM miles remaining.

Run the calcs and I should have about 30 miles range left before draining it as expected including the "hidden bar" (though Tony's chart says I should have at most 26 miles at 4.3 mi / kWh before draining it if I'm showing 2 bars.... hmmmm....)

drees said:
Run the calcs and I should have about 30 miles range left before draining it as expected including the "hidden bar" (though Tony's chart says I should have at most 26 miles at 4.3 mi / kWh before draining it if I'm showing 2 bars.... hmmmm....)

26 miles would be a full number 2 fuel bar. Let's see what your calcs were?

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
26 miles would be a full number 2 fuel bar. Let's see what your calcs were?
4.3 mi / kWh * 21 = 90 mi on a full charge * 80% = 72 mi on 80% charge. Subtract 42 miles driven = 32 miles DTE.

Which is a bit optimistic with 2 bars and 20 miles remaining, but I was a bit surprised with the 4.3 mi / kWh as the same trip minus the 16 mi freeway portion usually nets 4.5-4.6 mi / kWh and ~3.8-3.9 mi / kWh (85% dash reading) from the wall according to the Blink. And I was doing 65-70 mph with traffic with a bit of that over 70 mph with traffic - not driving too conservatively, either.

Last night's charge put in 11 kWh according to the Blink back to 80% which is 3.8 mi / kWh from the wall, so that matches up pretty closely to the 4.3 from the dash (center console said 4.5 when I reset it this morning, don't usually record that number).

Wonder how many Gids my car will show on a full charge... I've only charged to 100% less than a handful of times and only half of those were on the charger for any significant amount of time after reaching 100%... Can I borrow your Gid-meter? :)

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
TickTock said:

TickTock said:
Yep - that sure would explain TickTock's low range - that's by far the lowest Gid reading I've seen posted on the forum for a "100%" charge. Sure seems like either the pack is severely out of balance or there are some weak cells in the pack. I would love to see a picture of the battery gauge when fully charged.

Not sure which guage you want to see but neither are particularly intersting. The one on the dash jsut shows 12/12 for both the capacity and the state of charge. The SOCmeter just reads "238" in bright blue 7 segment LEDs.

I've been playing with my data, plotting trip_meter+guess_o_meter. Very consistently, it starts out about 20 miles optimistic (start), and this optimism hold all the way to work (mid). But by the time I get home, reality hits and I end up 20 miles short of the initial estimate. AC seems to have little influence. I would think eventually the algorythm would adjust and just realize that 60 is a much better estimate. The peak just right of center and the two on the right are all 100% charge, the rest are ~90% (80% + 30 minute top off). Is this behavior what the rest of you observe (optimism at the beginning of a charge)?

300390_281227428573720_100000593948326_1039687_1405245359_n.jpg

TickTock said:
Not sure which guage you want to see but neither are particularly intersting. The one on the dash jsut shows 12/12 for both the capacity and the state of charge.
Yeah - was trying to see if the capacity meter is low - it seems to me that you have less than 85% capacity.

TickTock said:
I've been playing with my data, plotting trip_meter+guess_o_meter. Very consistently, it starts out about 20 miles optimistic (start), and this optimism hold all the way to work (mid). But by the time I get home, reality hits and I end up 20 miles short of the initial estimate.
Depending on your route, it's quite possible for the GOM to do this. I would guess that it's an easier drive to work than it is back home. What does the dash report for mi / kWh after you get to work and when you get back? Do you have an elevation plot of your commute?

TickTock said:
I would think eventually the algorythm would adjust and just realize that 60 is a much better estimate.
The GOM doesn't have any long term history. It's pretty heavily weighted towards recent history, but no-one but Nissan knows exactly how it achieves its guess.

TickTock said:
The peak just right of center and the two on the right are all 100% charge, the rest are ~90% (80% + 30 minute top off). Is this behavior what the rest of you observe (optimism at the beginning of a charge)?
Have you tried disabling the timer for a day or two and leaving the car plugged in charged to 100% overnight? This should get cell balancing to kick in for sure. No one is sure that cell balancing kicks in on 80% charges - and for sure it takes a bit of time on a 100% charge before it "tops off" the cell after bleeding off excess charge. Jimmydreams noticed that his car topped off for 10-15 minutes twice at 1-hour intervals after reaching the first bulk chage. Could be confirmed if you have a TED or other way to measure current draw on the EVSE. I've never noticed this with my Blink, but then I can't remember the last time I charged to 100% and left the car plugged in for more than an hour.

I did a bit more driving than usual again today, but results are basically same as my last post - but no freeway driving this time. Hit more lights than usual so efficiency is a bit lower than my usual 4.5 mi / kWh.

Started w/80% charge, drove 47 miles, dash read 4.3 mi / kWh, GOM read 13 miles and 2 bars remaining (obviously deeper into the 2nd bar than yesterday). Considering that I drove 42 miles, 4.3 mi / kWh and got home with 19 GOM miles, at least the GOM is consistent. :) I expect the Blink to report 12.3 kWh tomorrow morning.

Considering that most people report about 24 kWh from the wall from turtle to full - that would indicate that I should be able to drive ~92 miles with a dash reading of 4.3 mi / kWh and a full charge - which matches up nicely 4.3 mi / kWh * 21 kWh = 90 mi. But I have doubts that I'd actually be able to drive twice as far on 4 bars (2 bars at the top, 2 bars at the bottom). Tony's explored the bottom of the pack a lot - maybe he'll know. :)

drees said:
.... which matches up nicely 4.3 mi / kWh * 21 kWh = 90 mi. But I have doubts that I'd actually be able to drive twice as far on 4 bars (2 bars at the top, 2 bars at the bottom). Tony's explored the bottom of the pack a lot - maybe he'll know. :)

First, let me state that all the bars are not equal in energy, as my chart indicates. The middle bars, 3-11, seem reasonably close. 12 is smaller. 2 is fatter. The number 1 bar, I don't actually measure, since my range predictions are then based on the LBW/VLB warnings.

So, any of my bottom_of_the_pack exploring is documented on that chart, which reflects the above nuances.

Tonight, I drove in a 15-20mph crosswind @ 38mph the whole 30 mile drive for the first time and realized that this is much worse than driving uphill. The best I could get was 5.0m/kW h and that same trip w/o any wind was 6.0 or better.

drees said:
TickTock said:
I've been playing with my data, plotting trip_meter+guess_o_meter. Very consistently, it starts out about 20 miles optimistic (start), and this optimism hold all the way to work (mid). But by the time I get home, reality hits and I end up 20 miles short of the initial estimate.
Depending on your route, it's quite possible for the GOM to do this. I would guess that it's an easier drive to work than it is back home. What does the dash report for mi / kWh after you get to work and when you get back? Do you have an elevation plot of your commute?
The elevation does drop 250ft from home to work, but by my math that should only result in 0.6kWh delta in the energy consumed based on the curb weight of the vehicle . Hardly enough to result in a 20 mile discrepancy.

drees said:
TickTock said:
The peak just right of center and the two on the right are all 100% charge, the rest are ~90% (80% + 30 minute top off). Is this behavior what the rest of you observe (optimism at the beginning of a charge)?
Have you tried disabling the timer for a day or two and leaving the car plugged in charged to 100% overnight? This should get cell balancing to kick in for sure. No one is sure that cell balancing kicks in on 80% charges - and for sure it takes a bit of time on a 100% charge before it "tops off" the cell after bleeding off excess charge. Jimmydreams noticed that his car topped off for 10-15 minutes twice at 1-hour intervals after reaching the first bulk chage. Could be confirmed if you have a TED or other way to measure current draw on the EVSE. I've never noticed this with my Blink, but then I can't remember the last time I charged to 100% and left the car plugged in for more than an hour.
I did this last Sunday. Charged to 100% in the morning and left it plugged in all day and night until I left for work Monday. No change to the charge level on Tuesday morning.

drees said:
I did a bit more driving than usual again today, but results are basically same as my last post - but no freeway driving this time. Hit more lights than usual so efficiency is a bit lower than my usual 4.5 mi / kWh.

Started w/80% charge, drove 47 miles, dash read 4.3 mi / kWh, GOM read 13 miles and 2 bars remaining (obviously deeper into the 2nd bar than yesterday). Considering that I drove 42 miles, 4.3 mi / kWh and got home with 19 GOM miles, at least the GOM is consistent. :) I expect the Blink to report 12.3 kWh tomorrow morning.
This seems not too far from my results. What did the GOM say as you set off?

drees said:
Considering that most people report about 24 kWh from the wall from turtle to full - that would indicate that I should be able to drive ~92 miles with a dash reading of 4.3 mi / kWh and a full charge - which matches up nicely 4.3 mi / kWh * 21 kWh = 90 mi. But I have doubts that I'd actually be able to drive twice as far on 4 bars (2 bars at the top, 2 bars at the bottom). Tony's explored the bottom of the pack a lot - maybe he'll know. :)

Back