Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This would be a standard post-1996 electric dryer plug-and-cord,
available locally at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. ... possibly
for about 1/2 or 1/3 the price, and no shipping charges.

I like the black cord because it matches. Low cost appliance cords tend to be grey and flat moulded. The cord is a compromise anyway. I would like to just bust the drywall out and pull wire in the wall. But behind is a reinforced earthquake strongwall panel that I am not sure about drilling it to pull wire.

correct Gary. My local Home Depot has the 6' version, $23.97 in my HD area.
The one in the stayonline link is 8', so it really depends on how long you need the cable to be.

In fact, here is the HD link:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202296067/h_d2/ProductDisplay?selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&keyword=14-50+range&Ntpc=1&langId=-1&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

125 volts and 12,500 watts.
4 wires in a combination of 6/2 and 8/2 gauges
6 ft. long
50 amp, 125-volt and 12,500-watt capacity
UL listed
MFG Model # : KAB-1450
MFG Part # : KAB-1450

smkettner said:
But behind is a reinforced earthquake strongwall panel that I am not sure about drilling it to pull wire.
If you know the model number, you can look up on Simpson's website where it is allowed to drill holes.

Cheers, Wayne

Looks like a well placed 1" hole is allowed. Excellent tip on that strongwall.

Now I am on a roll so here is another question ;)

Can I jump off the 14-50 outlet to pull wire (internal) to the EVSE? Or would I need to lose the outlet and just have the J box with a cover plate?

I really wish the builder had left a 4' loop of wire in the wall to adjust final placement. :(

smkettner said:
Looks like a well placed 1" hole is allowed. Excellent tip on that strongwall.

Now I am on a roll so here is another question ;)

Can I jump off the 14-50 outlet to pull wire (internal) to the EVSE? Or would I need to lose the outlet and just have the J box with a cover plate?

I really wish the builder had left a 4' loop of wire in the wall to adjust final placement. :(

The answer is, you CANNOT bury a junction box in the wall, under any circumstances.
No inspector would ever pass that, and I would advise you STRONGLY to not even consider it.

why not just use a 4-6' cable with the NEMA 14-50 plug on it, and make it detachable? You could also hard wire it, but you need to leave a blank cover on the junction box for access.

Personally, using the 14-50 is a much more attractive option, since if you ever move, or sell the house, since its "plugged in", its not considered an "appliance" that is part of the house, and you can take it with you. Also, if you need to, you can remove the EVSE from the wall and stick it in the Leafs trunk, and use it at an RV park, your plug will already match.

I think I misunderstood you, you want to plug in the NEMA 14-50 Plug into the outlet, then run the wire attached to the plug inside the wall to the EVSE? that's also a bad idea.

That is not quite it.

I would like to leave the 14-50 in place and pull 6/3 romex wire in the wall from the 14-50 to the EVSE. About 3' pull.

Just curious if the 14-50 outlet can stay or if it must be removed and an access cover plate put in place. I am not going to bury the j box in the wall.

I will probably just get the cord anyway. I really doubt I would take it with me if selling the home in ten years.

smkettner said:
That is not quite it.

I would like to leave the 14-50 in place and pull 6/3 romex wire in the wall from the 14-50 to the EVSE. About 3' pull.

Just curious if the 14-50 outlet can stay or if it must be removed and an access cover plate put in place. I am not going to bury the j box in the wall.

I will probably just get the cord anyway. I really doubt I would take it with me if selling the home in ten years.

For outlets of that size, in general the breaker protects a single outlet or device, to meet code you would have to remove the outlet and put a blank plate on. Just seems like it's more work to fish the cable in the wall from the existing outlet to the EVSE, make up the connection with large wires in the junction box (could be a tight for wire nutting those 4 conductors and fitting it back in the junction box). The range cord will be simpler and quicker.

smkettner said:

Just curious if the 14-50 outlet can stay or if it must be removed and an access cover plate put in place.
I think you'll find it a lot easier to remove the receptacle and blank off the box. Joining 3 #6 conductors together times 4, and fitting all that and the receptacle into the box would be a challenge. In fact, if the box is served by 6/3, and you use 6/3 going out, you'd need a box with a volume of 45 in^3: 5 * (3 in + 3 out + 1 for grounds + 2 for the receptacle). I think it is unlikely the existing box is that big. Removing the receptacle and using 6/2 to your new EVSE location should work for box fill, since the receptacle and the 6/2 going out have the same volume requirements.

Cheers, Wayne

[P.S. For building wiring 6/3 means 3 #6 conductors plus ground. For cords, 6/3 means 3 #6 conductors total, one of which is usually the ground.]

It is just #8 wire so it would be 8/2 that gets pulled. I really want the 14-50 to stay as I use it to power my RV while preparing or returning so it looks like I will have to go with the cord on the EVSE.

Thanks for your help on this. You have saved me the hassle and dissapointment of dragging my electrician out. ;)

smkettner said:
It is just #8 wire so it would be 8/2 that gets pulled. I really want the 14-50 to stay as I use it to power my RV while preparing or returning so it looks like I will have to go with the cord on the EVSE.

Thanks for your help on this. You have saved me the hassle and dissapointment of dragging my electrician out. ;)
I don't believe there is any NEC prohibition on keeping the 14-50 receptacle in place and hardwiring the EVSE on the same circuit. If I am mistaken, perhaps someone could point out the relevant NEC article I have overlooked.

If the box is fed by 8/3, then your box fill for keeping the 14-50 receptacle and running the outgoing 8/2 is 3 * (3 in + 2 out + 1 for grounds + 2 for the receptacle) = 24 in^3 (assuming you have no internal cable clamps in the box), so just double check the box is at least 24 in^3.

Cheers, Wayne

My hardwiring the EVSE, it is now considered "permanently connected", it's also a continuos load (more than 3 hours of continuos use). There are rules for that in the NEC, damn if I can find the one that applies though.

I did find a site that does explain the articles in English though, tale a look:

http://www.mikeholt.com/technical.php?id=nec/unformatted/215-240&type=u&title=NEC%20Articles%20215%20through%20240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitch672 said:
My hardwiring the EVSE, it is now considered "permanently connected", it's also a continuos load (more than 3 hours of continuos use). There are rules for that in the NEC, damn if I can find the one that applies though.
I don't think there is one to find, although I'm not sufficiently conversant in the NEC to say definitively there isn't a rule.

For 15 and 20 amp circuits, 210.23(A) applies and 210.23(A)(2) states: "Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied."

But such language is absent for 40 amp circuits, so I don't see a problem with having a 40 amp circuit serving a hard wired 40 amp load and a 14-50 receptacle. Obviously the user will only be able to run one load at a time.

mitch672 said:
I did find a site that does explain the articles in English though, tale a look:
That's a site whose forums I followed for several years.

Cheers, Wayne

Looks like Home Depot started carrying the Schneider Square D chargers for $729.00

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Auto-Electric-Car-Chargers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzjt/R-202963679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm....

radicalone said:
Looks like Home Depot started carrying the Schneider Square D chargers for $729.00

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Auto-Electric-Car-Chargers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzjt/R-202963679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm....

yes, that was posted a few pages ago on this thread: Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:18 am, by smkettner

I have already bought one from HD online, but they where/are back ordered, there is also a coupon code posted if you go back a few pages for $50 off as well. As long as it shows up by early to mid December, it will be fine (for the 2011 tax credit). If its still back ordered then, I am going with the SPX PowerExpress.

Please post any delivery and backorder details. It is great that you grabbed it when you did. Now I am waiting for the "out of stock online" to be replaced with "add to cart" :(

hodad66 said:
Home Depot just sent notification that my Schneider EVSE
is shipping...... :D

I received shipping notification as well, which is funny, with the website saying it was "back ordered". There is a UPS tracking #, so it does look shipped.

smkettner said:
Next time I plan to buy first, post the link second ;)
I wonder how many they had. Maybe an installer cleaned them out.

I put it in the "cart", when I went to checkout, it wanted me to remove it because it was backordered, they let me go through with buying it (and applying the $50 discount coupon). This morning I got shipment notification, but the shipping date/time was listed as "9/11/2011 23:59", which is very odd. There was a UPS tracking #, so we'll see what they ship me... Can you place the order even though it's backordered? I was able to because it was already in the cart.

Back