Scanners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps take your camera or phone/camera and see if you
can get readable pictures of the Consult III Plus screens,
just as a memory aid.

The screens are probably "copyrighted" material,
so it would not be proper to post any of them.

garygid said:
Fair Use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright

I'm assuming that you are not attempting to do this for financial gain. It's educational. Post away. :)

The one that can test the LEAF is the Consult III+. You can buy older models on eBay for not too much money, but they can't handle the multiple CAN busses that the LEAF uses. Lesser models are a few hundred dollars; the III+ is about $10K.

If it really is a Consult III+, it'd be fun to play with! But to get the most information, you'd need a CAN sniffer to record what the Consult was sending and what the LEAF was replying. To find out what message has what data, and what the binary numbers really mean. Lots of really smart folks here who could help.

-Karl

JeremyW said:
garygid said:
Fair Use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright

I'm assuming that you are not attempting to do this for financial gain. It's educational. Post away. :)
IANAL, but I'm betting you're way off here.

This is probably a "trade secret", and not just copyrighted material. Something that the company may consider confidential data. There's no fair use involved when it comes to trade secrets.

Employees sign agreements that they won't release confidential data. Could be that the OP's friend is breaking that agreement even in letting someone else use the device. More than that is really pushing it.

^^^
I have no clue if there any restrictions on Consult III+ usage or publishing screens but maybe digging around http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/Home.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or Googling for site:nissan-techinfo.com keywords_you_are_looking_for might help.

Goodtohave said:
Has anyone used one on a Leaf? Anything in particular I should look at?
I have a pretty fancy scantool which I tried plugging into my Leaf a few weeks ago. It was flat-out unable to make a connection to the vehicle. It kept cycling through different protocols and eventually gave up with an error message.

I know this is old but can someone comment on http://www.eobd2.net/wholesale/nissan-consult-3-plus.html?gclid=CI6Q1pm3kcACFahaMgod0D0AAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Is this a legit CONSULT III PLUS unit + software that will work on a 2013-14 Leafs? If not, where one could get a legit one?

Thanks,
Val

In case the poster didn't know, you can use Leaf Spy to display tire pressure on your cell phone. I find it very accurate and more convenient than using a scanner. But it does require a cheap OBDII-to-Bluetooth adapter.

Bob

ITestStuff said:
This is probably a "trade secret", and not just copyrighted material. Something that the company may consider confidential data. There's no fair use involved when it comes to trade secrets.

So, it's illegal for me to find out how MY car works?

Nubo said:
So, it's illegal for me to find out how MY car works?
Not at all. It's just not documented anywhere outside Nissan, and the technicians are under an NDA about it. What you find out is never illegal. There just probably won't be many legal ways of doing it, simply because they don't exist.

A lot of information is found by trial and error. I suspect that's how much of the LeafSpy development was done.

Security through obscurity.

Back