Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Scottsdale by calling early in the morning, they tell you when they are coming. I had no trouble at all.

I received an email back from Paul Gosar. He is the U.S. Rep from District 1 in AZ. I was asking him to support renewable energy and EV tax credits. Here is an excerpt.

"Energy subsidies distort markets, which ultimately create a false market that may or may not be sustainable. I believe the market is the best method to determine what alternative energy supplies will next be utilized. For too long, the federal government has been picking winners and losers."

He doesn't sound very supportive to help the fledgling EV and solar industries. Perhaps a letter or email to your Congressmen and Congresswomen will help to ensure that the renewable energy industry doesn't get cut off at the knees during this budget tightening era we are in. I believe that the EV industry will need another five years to help it get off the ground. When we see cars with 200 mile ranges with enough volume to make them affordable, then we can consider dropping the tax credits. For solar PV, I think that will need another 10 years to get panel efficiencies up somewhere around 40% to be able to return a fast enough payback to put that investment on a level playing field with oil (LEAF) and electricity (heating and cooling).

His answer to that is that the oil industry is not taking advantage of any other breaks that any business can avail themselves of. It truly seems that being a freshman Congressman that he is not informed of all the issues regarding the oil industry. We only have to point out to our elected officials that the billions being spent for stability in the Middle East is the biggest subsidy of all. Of course, this Congressman is pushing for opening up more drilling in the U.S. and offshore areas to counteract that argument. I'm not opposed to that as an interim step as long as they don't cut off tax credits for renewables while we drill.

ERG4ALL said:
I received an email back from Paul Gosar. He is the U.S. Rep from District 1 in AZ. I was asking him to support renewable energy and EV tax credits. Here is an excerpt.

"Energy subsidies distort markets, which ultimately create a false market.......g).

Rep. G. Has bigger fish to fry. He's on board with timber and cattle industry now that half of Arizona's federal forests have burned. (not really half) I don't picture the man as an environmentalist.

Rep. Paul Gosar’s (R-Flagstaff)
http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2011/jul/08/wildfires-spur-call-forest-thinning/

"However, the hearing also featured Rep. Paul Gosar’s (R-Flagstaff) swipe at “radical environmentalists” and a call for new laws to reduce environmental protections and prevent groups from filing lawsuits.

http://azcattlemensassoc.org/updatez/2011-july/y'sTestimonytotheAZStateHouseofRepresentatives-July52011.pdf

I got a notice from APS saying they couldn't contact me and to call them. So I did and the guy said

"We were calling to inform you that the current rate plan you are on is no longer available, but we have the noon - 7 plan."

I said " wow that's convenient that they are going to force me to the other plan right after I got approved for the solar rebate. All my solar production/savings were based off having the 9-9 plan"

We talked a few minutes and he finally clarifies that he was just calling to let me know they don't offer the plan anymore, but I don't have to change.

Um, OK, thanks for the heads up.

I asked about the super off-peak but he knew nothing of it. Anyone know what ever happened to that rate?

I don't have any news on the super off peak other than they are still working on it.
As for the rate plan switch.... They can't make you change but they will make very attempt to let you decide to switch on your own... ;)

Why do you oppose the noon to 7 pm peak rate? I actually save a bit (I think) on this rate. I also have solar 5.4 kWh up on the roof.

Guess I need to run the numbers, but I assumed that the more on-peak power I can produce the better. I'm at work 8 to 7 so I'm not cooling the house during most of the 9-9 peak period...but I'm guessing I can produce peak power outside of the 12-7...at least in the morning.

Using 2-3 hours of peak power when I get home from work on the 9-9 vs losing 3 hours of peak production on the noon to 7.

turbo2ltr said:
Guess I need to run the numbers, but I assumed that the more on-peak power I can produce the better. I'm at work 8 to 7 so I'm not cooling the house during most of the 9-9 peak period...but I'm guessing I can produce peak power outside of the 12-7...at least in the morning.

Using 2-3 hours of peak power when I get home from work on the 9-9 vs losing 3 hours of peak production on the noon to 7.
Generally you'd want the plan with the most off-peak time, in this case noon-7. But I can see how if you have solar panels and want to sell back electricity to the grid during more peak time to maximize the premium credit.

I'm with SRP and I'm on the Time of Use plan with is 1-8pm peak time in the summer. I would have loved to go noon-7pm if I could. As far as calculating the savings, I don't know about APS, but with SRP, you can go online to your account and use their what-if analysis utilities to base your use pattern from the previous year until now to see how much you'd save (or not save) if you'd been on the other plans they offer. I used this analysis to decide to stick with my current TOU plan.

mark13 said:
I just had the Blink inspected 2 months after it was installed..When you call for a inspection its all automated..You have no choice in what day or time..Be prepared to sit at home all day until they show up..
I just had my Blink installation inspected today, too, after 2 months. The tech came by yesterday to give me the permit and exchange the SD card on my Blink and install the PLI device. He said my old SD card may be the culprit for a lot of the problems that I had experienced. The PLI worked out OK. So far no random issues with my Blink after 1 day with the new SD card.

The inspection scheduling is automated like Mark13 said (I'm in Chandler). I called yesterday and selected today for inspection. They didn't give me a time, but I called at 8am this morning to confirm, and they gave me the cell phone of the inspector for my area. I called him at 9am to ask for a time and he said he'd be out in 30 minutes. He took less than 5 minutes to complete. He glanced at the whole setup, opened the service panel to confirm the right wire size, and that was it. Real pleasant guy. Seems like he's done quite a few of these Blink inspections already. He said he never had any problem with any of them at all.

I got a email back from Blink stating they do not have a fix yet for my timing issue..Last night the charger would not even charge the car until I unplugged it..Now i unplug the Blink before use (to get it to work) and after use to (stop the timer) I hope I see the black screen of death soon on it..It needs replaced..

It has lasted 3 months tho,that pretty good for a Blink charger :lol:

I wonder what Roush racing is doing to correct all the issues with their chargers..

Since SRP buys back at a mere .03/kwh, we've decided to leave the EZ-3 plan (3-6PM is peak), and go back to basic. My wife doesn't like any time restrictions and now it will be true net metering. Our bill for July last year was $150...this year it is $45 and the A/C actually ran much more this month. Homes of the exact same size/amenities in our neighborhood had an average bill of $245. :mrgreen:

Volusiano said:
EPleafAZ said:
By the way I received a reply from Bob at Bookmans and he said they are on it and in agreement that it needs to be marked. Woohoo!
I got same answer from Bob today. He said he agrees and they're working on it (putting up a sign).
I drove by Bookman's today on my way to somewhere and decided to see of they'd put up any sign yet. I saw a sign posted that I didn't remember seeing before. It's a green sign that says something like "Charge at Bookman's. Free electric car charging station." Sorry I don't remember it verbatim, but that's pretty close to the wording, I think. I also notice that they painted the lines and concrete bumper around that parking space green. But guess what??? There's still a Suburban ICE SUV parked there. It struck me how sad the irony is.

I'm very disappointed that the sign is not clear at all to say that the space is RESERVED for electric cars only. I thought the main purpose of putting up a sign is to warn off ICE cars from occupying the space so that electric cars get a chance to use the charging station. I understand if they don't want to use strong wording, but they can use simple wording and still convey the message. Like "Space Reserved for electric car charging only".

Have a card made up that indicates that the ICE is parked in a space meant for EV charging. Park your LEAF directly behind the ICE. Pull the cable out fully and plug in. Put your cell phone number on the card and advise the person to call you to move your LEAF so they can get out. :roll: Oh yes, and have your comprehensive insurance paid up! :lol:

You can try and have them towed, just be careful.

Actually as far as I have read there is nothing that specifically says what designates a spot as an EV space as far as signage.

I am picking my Leaf up tomorrow at ABC Nissan! I'll be commuting 15 miles 3 days a week with it and our Prius will now become the hubby's car. I'm very disappointed that my employer (Honeywell) won't install any charging stations.

emmphx said:
I am picking my Leaf up tomorrow at ABC Nissan! I'll be commuting 15 miles 3 days a week with it and our Prius will now become the hubby's car. I'm very disappointed that my employer (Honeywell) won't install any charging stations.

Congratulations! What color?
If your commute is only 15 miles (30 RT)/3 days a week , you definitely won't need charging at work. You'll be able to go 65 in the HOV, A/C on High, and you'll still have plenty left for errands after work. You could charge to only 80% every day.

LEAFfan said:
emmphx said:

Congratulations! What color?
If your commute is only 15 miles (30 RT)/3 days a week , you definitely won't need charging at work. You'll be able to go 65 in the HOV, A/C on High, and you'll still have plenty left for errands after work. You could charge to only 80% every day.
I agree. You probably even have enough to pre-cool your Leaf before you leave work for home.

On driving in the HOV lane, I'm not sure if I'd venture to do that just yet, until you actually receive the Alternative Fuel plate in the mail and display it prominently on your Leaf. The temporary permit may not cut it to a cop if you get stopped.

Without making a careful quantitative analysis, my observation is that air conditioning is using much less energy than I anticipated. I keep the car at 76 degrees. I would be interested in what others are finding.

I would concur. I don't really notice any impact on range. It does a very good job at managing itself to work efficiently.

What I did notice, and then remembered I already knew, just never experienced it, is that the A/C is not nearly as cold in eco mode. I almost always drive in eco mode, but I have to remember to drive in D whenever I just got into a hot car as it cools down quite a bit faster. Watching the climate control power meter it seems eco mode limits the power to about 1.5kw, whereas D lets it go to 3+kw if needed.

Back