Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo! My Leaf arrived today at ABC Nissan.

I have to say the eco-design package doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. The decal looks really sharp on the black paint. I am still worried about the decal and how it will hold up over time. Jim Springer was my sales contact (awesome guy!) and made the good point that if I leave it on for a long time and decide to remove, there might be variations in paint color. Decisions decisions...

As for the blue center console piece, it looks SO MUCH BETTER than in the pictures that Nissan has posted on their site. Not sure if they made a change or what. Yeah it's still really blue, but doen't have that marble pattern like the one in the pictures.

After over a year of since my reservatoin (and who knows how much longer before that) I am so happy!!!

Quick recap for anyone who might be interested:

On the sales side, Jim was amazing at answering all of my many questions and helping me line up the numbers before I even stepped through the door. I prefer to do that via email, and he accomodated me there. I was on the fence on leasing vs. purchase, so I ran through so many scenarios with him. Very patient with all my requests to model those, which made purchase day simple in terms of knowing exactly what to expect. He even had me in for a test drive, which was a cool preview and helped me get familiar with the car before I took delivery.

I ended up purchasing since that works best for me... Now, that means a trip to the finance department...

The finance process was OK. I brought my own bridge financing through capital one to finance the entire purchase until I sell my Prius. Capital One offered a 4.5 rate. My Credit Union offers 2.49, but won't do a loan that large - so I can't use them until I sell my car. Unfortunately the LTV was too high with the vehicle being sold at MSRP, so I would had to of paid aroud 3-4k cash. I was ok with that and set on doing that but they offered their financing at 3.9, which was pretty decent and lower than my bridge financing. They really pushed their financing even though I wanted to do capital one and could pay the cash, but once I stopped digging in my heels I realized they really were saving me some money. The only screwy part was the amount financed was 700-800 higher than what it was supposed to be, so I spotted that right away and they fixed it.

Once I sell my Prius I am re-financing with my credit union at 2.49. Neither NMAC, Capital One nor the CU have a pre-payment penalty. I told them that I intend to re-fi in a month so I think it's cool that they still offered their financing to save me coming out of pocket. (I know, they probably get a bonus or something - but it was win-win). Worst case I am paying less on the bridge financing should the sale take longer than expected - so not bad.

Of course the normal hard sell on the warranty for the vehicle, plus some crap about the warranty being cheaper at time of purchase (well maybe that's true if you buy from them.) Told them I intend to buy from out of state dealer since it's much cheaper, and based upon the prices they quoted it still is. I am also going to wait to decide which program is best for me. I have to say the program Nisan of Santa Rosa has is pretty impressive with really discounted rates and 0 interest to split it up over 17 months. ABC was at least $300 bucks higher on the one they quoted. Didn't want to get it today anyway so I didn't bother to see if they would match.

They also offer a 3-year tire warranty program and try to push that for 300 or 400 bucks. I think it includes nitrous. I hadn't researched that so I declined. Was told that's only available at purchase. Still might look into something like that, but it seems like 300-400 would get me a set of tires all around. Plus my commute is super short, so hopefully won't be needing new tires any time soon.

I did end up opting in to the ZakTek exterior protection as Jim had provided info on that in advance. Since that includes re-application every 6 months for three years and I can't be trusted to do that on my own, seemed like a good thing to protect the car from my laziness. I guess they also have an interior protection, which I am really interested in and might follow-up on. With such a light interior, seems like it could get dirty easily. If anything I think they should have been pushing that more.

In summary...

All in all I have to say the dealer process went well. Normal finance stuff with the finance guys pushing product, but it all worked out and you just say yes or no. I get really annoyed with them not providing copies of everything you sign by default. If I'm putting my name to it, it's only fair that I should get a copy. That said, I'm one of those crazy people that likes to read and know what they are signing and deal with purchase price versus payment. Not everyone is like that. However for what it was, they remained polite and were never disrespectful, and ended up helping me out. More than you can say for most.

On the sales side, it couldn't have been any better. ABC Nissan was brilliant to have Jim handle the leaf purchases. He is extremely professional, so passionate about the technology, and really goes out of his way to make the customer happy. Jim remembers that almost dead concept called customer service and seems like an all around good guy. On the sales side, it was exceptional from day one working with him. That's why I kept my order in-state with them versus going out of state to save some money.

I'm glad to have this miracle in my hands. A big step towards sustainability. Thanks Nissan for bringing the EV back.

Regarding Bookmans PM me if you want Bob Bookman's email address. That spot is not properly marked EV only so we can't have it enforced.

RickS said:
Regarding Bookmans PM me if you want Bob Bookman's email address. That spot is not properly marked EV only so we can't have it enforced.
Hi Rick, I PM'd you for the email address.

Just as an FYI to everyone, I had a chance to stop by there again on the way to some place, and again there was an ICE car parked in that spot. I pulled up side way behind it just so I can connect and test out my ChargePass card. Before I get a chance to connect, I ran into a guy who parked next to that spot coming out. He saw me and smiled and said he saw that spot empty before but decided to park next to it instead of on it. But he guessed it didn't matter because somebody else pulled up into that spot afterward anyway.

But with him leaving, I was able to park next to the violator and test out my ChargePass card. Everything works OK and I was able to charge. There was some confusion on whether I unlocked the station 1 (120V) or station 2 (240V) or both. Station 1 and 2 coexist in the same booth, by the way. Station 1 basically just unlocks the door to a 120V receptacle. Station 2 basically energizes the J plug. After a few tries, I think you unlock both stations at once with your card.

I'd encourage everyone in Phoenix send Bob Bookman an email to ask if he wouldn't mind putting up a sign to mark it as an EV reserved parking spot only.

I went to Bookman's on my day off to take a look, thank GOD I was just stopping by and did not need a charge. YEA there was a car parked in the spot and MAYBE I could have ask if they could page the own. But AZ should pass a law so I could call the police and have it towed.

Gonewild said:
I went to Bookman's on my day off to take a look, thank GOD I was just stopping by and did not need a charge. YEA there was a car parked in the spot and MAYBE I could have ask if they could page the own. But AZ should pass a law so I could call the police and have it towed.

Why? We already have it:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00876.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

The issue is that the space is not marked currently so I don't think you would get too far with having vehicles towed. This is going to be very interesting also because per the law as it's written now a Volt is not eligible to park in a charging space. I prefer the law the way it currently is.

Nice find... I should print a copy of that and carry it in the car. As the charging stations start to come online this will be more of an issue. I just hope they designate the spots as such.

By the way I received a reply from Bob at Bookmans and he said they are on it and in agreement that it needs to be marked. Woohoo!

EPleafAZ said:
I guess they also have an interior protection, which I am really interested in and might follow-up on. With such a light interior, seems like it could get dirty easily. If anything I think they should have been pushing that more.
Many forum members opted to order seat covers from Wet Okole through a group buy for 20% discount (still going to run you around $500 for whole car). The group buy already expired but I'm sure there will be another group buy offer later on this year. Or you can call Wet Okole to see if they're willing to extend the group buy discount to others not on the list. Check it out at the Accessories forum.

Now that I have my Leaf, I have a question. How amenable are Phoenix area Nissan dealers to allowing people who didn't purchase from them to use their chargers?

EPleafAZ said:
Nice find... I should print a copy of that and carry it in the car. As the charging stations start to come online this will be more of an issue. I just hope they designate the spots as such.

By the way I received a reply from Bob at Bookmans and he said they are on it and in agreement that it needs to be marked. Woohoo!
I'd print several copies and slap a copy on the violator's car windshield so they know not to repeat the violation next time.

I also sent an email to Bob but haven't heard back from him.

Desertstraw said:
Now that I have my Leaf, I have a question. How amenable are Phoenix area Nissan dealers to allowing people who didn't purchase from them to use their chargers?
I don't know about other dealers, but Coulter Nissan where I bought mine from told me that they welcome all Leaf owners to use the stations at their dealership, regardless of where they bought their Leaf from.

mark13 said:
Good imformative video :) Where do you go to get a RFID card from ECTY ?
The cards are not from Ecotality. For the Bookman's station, it's managed by ChargePoint so you can buy a ChargePass card for $4.95 from mychargepoint.net. For the Blink stations at Monti's in Tempe, you'll need to order the Blink RFID card from blinknetwork.com.

I just installed the Okole seat covers ..They look great and Im very happy with them..One day I hope we have a get together so we can all see what we have done to our Leafs :D

EPleafAZ said:
With such a light interior, seems like it could get dirty easily. If anything I think they should have been pushing that more.

Since I'm leasing, I bought a nice pair of front seat covers from K-Mart for $40 (airbag compatible). And my dealer in Tempe (Power Nissan) not only didn't say anything about the extended warranty, but never tried to sell me the interior protection either or any other 'extras' that I hadn't ordered. I really appreciated that! While I was talking with the Head LEAF tech, Brian Shirley, my sales person, installed my seat covers!

EPleafAZ said:

I had previously made up a flyer similar to this one:
http://www.evchargernews.com/parkingnotice.htm
Just modified for AZ laws, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'm thinking of making up some 4x6 cards with this information on it. I figure give them a friendly notice once and have repeat offenders cited and towed.

EPleafAZ said:

Nice, hopefully they will. Like I said in the PM Bob Bookman is one of the good old boys who had an EV1 way back when so he should be accommodating. That particular charger was probably installed a bit prematurely so I doubt anyone has used it up until now. Same situation with the chargers at Monti's on Mill ave. They aren't marked yet, but I emailed him and he said he's waiting for Ecotality to cough up some signs.

Now the elephant in the room.... per the law in Arizona you could legally have a Volt cited and towed from a charging space, they don't have alt fuel plates and they are a hybrid, not an EV. I believe we will be butting heads over this at some point.

mark13 said:
I just installed the Okole seat covers ..They look great and Im very happy with them..One day I hope we have a get together so we can all see what we have done to our Leafs :D

That would be a good idea... we were going to have a gathering as a group but that seemed to not happen. Who wants to get a group together? This time of year we would have to pick somewhere with a parking garage to stay out of the sun/heat; or just wait until fall.

I have the Wet Okole seat covers as well, installed them 2 weeks ago.

Skywagon said:
mark13 said:

or just wait until fall.

Fall? Someone say fall? Plans are in the works for an EV Car Show / Display at Chase Field on Sunday, November 6th, 2011.
I'd hope we had a gathering long before that but at least keep this date in mind.

Cheers

EPleafAZ said:
I got same answer from Bob today. He said he agrees and they're working on it (putting up a sign).

Back