Orphan Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENIAC said:
redbluff said:
From what I have learned from both dealers the have been an abundance of Leaf's having to be towed because drivers are attempting to use the "range" indicator as something of a real number.
It's self evident this is BS, there aren't even an abundance of LEAFs on the road in the first place!

Now there are some who'll claim posts like yours, as well as other similar posts recently on this forum, are nothing but "concerned trolls" posts. However, I would disagree with that assessment. I believe you simply were misinformed and are attempting to make this forum aware of something you mistakenly assumed to be true. Do I have that right?[/quote

I didnt say anything was true. I passed on information that was told to me verbally by a dealers. Based on all the positive feedback I will move on to a different forum. Everyone here seems to like attacking people for just providing information.

redbluff said:
Based on all the positive feedback I will move on to a different forum. Everyone here seems to like attacking people for just providing information.
Please do not be so sensitive. The written word on the internet is difficult to interpret perfectly without the inflection of body language and immediate feedback we enjoy in the personal interactions of meatspace. If you are truly interested in the Leaf, there is no other forum with as concentrated and current info on the car than this one, believe me. Some people may reject what they know to be false information about the car rather aggressively, but this does not have to reflect on your character or intentions if you don't allow it to. If what you claim is true (that you are not a troll), then thicken your skin and continue to contribute. You will be appreciated eventually if your aims are true.

TT

have to agree with Tom. the written word is not supposed to be taken as an effective form of communication. in a face to face conversation, the actual words spoken actually conveys less than 30% of the meaning.

facial expressions, tone, and body postures convey more than 2/3rds.

on the net, you must have a thick skin for criticism or be able to type 150 wpm and be willing to type out very long drawn out responses that most will skim over and lose the meaning of anyway...

get over it or move on. i can assure you, you wont find a better place. its the same everywhere.

i have posted misinformation i was told and got feedback that made me realize how wrong the information was, but that is why ALL OF US are here. to either verify or dispute.

its a 50/50 game. u cant just play half the game.

redbluff said:
From what I have learned from both dealers the have been an abundance of Leaf's having to be towed because drivers are attempting to use the "range" indicator as something of a real number. I was told Nissan is getting a bit embarrassed about the press that is being printed in interviews by those Leaf owners who are disenchanted with the car only getting 75-80 miles on a full charge... price.

Give me a break! Where's my Troll Hammer....?!? :twisted:

Just saw a Leaf online looks like vin#VIN: JN1AZ0CP1BT000418

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd/2252313317.html

$40410 hmmm Orphan price seems low to me.

cordero said:

that's strange that they're posting on craigslist, no?

I have heard about one 'orphan' LEAF and the story is this. The reservation holder arrived at the dealership to pick up the vehicle and decided they wanted to add the Level 3 charger port to it. Since you cannot add a Level 3 Charger port, it ended up being a deal-breaker for them. The potential owner went back into the reservation pool to await another production slot so they could properly configure their vehicle. The LEAF remained in dealer inventory.

Went to the Santa Cruz Nissan site and I couldn't search new inventory for the Leaf because the Leaf is not listed on the drop down menus. They need to update that.

This has been discussed before. Looks like many dealers ... when receiving cars on trucks and "logging them in" ... have automated software that posts them as "available". They should not be doing that with dealer customer ordered cars and certainly also not with the LEAF (as it is currently reserved/ordered thru Nissan corporate).

I posted this in the "March Deliveries" thread, but I figured it would be good to post it here too, to help figure out the orphan LEAF tracking. Long story short, I had to cancel my LEAF order at Universal City Nissan, but I did receive the VIN number before I canceled:

Ingen said:
As for my canceled LEAF it was VIN #422, SL with Quick Charger in Silver. My guess is that since it's been built it will go to the next person on the list who has that configuration. However, no one knows what really happens to orphaned LEAFs. If anyone on this forum ends up with VIN#422, first congratulations, I am truly envious... and secondly, please reply to this post so we can get an idea of what happens to orphaned LEAFs.

On a semi-related note, I was told by Nissan EV Customer Support that I couldn't get back in line for a LEAF until they re-opened reservations to everyone. Have you guys heard differently?

LEAFer said:
This has been discussed before. Looks like many dealers ... when receiving cars on trucks and "logging them in" ... have automated software that posts them as "available". They should not be doing that with dealer customer ordered cars and certainly also not with the LEAF (as it is currently reserved/ordered thru Nissan corporate).

This is correct. On-line dealer inventory is largely an automated process, complete with stock photos and standard equipment listings. VIN's will provide most of the coded information that will 'explode' into a web listing as soon as a vehicle hits the DMS (dealer management system). The listings will be removed after a vehicle is reported sold in the DMS. Since LEAF's are currently being sold differently than most other vehicles, they may appear on dealer website inventory prior to being delivered to owners. This is probably not true for all dealers, but certainly true for some.

cordero said:
Bummer. That could be mine (or any one of the other dozens SLe Leafs waiting who ordered ahead of me I see in the spreadsheet - many of whom are in the Bay Area).

That looks legit! An easy 5K over msrp is a slam dunk sale. A rogue "salesman" posting it on Craigslist is a good low profile route for a dealer and gives the management deniability if Nissan comes calling since the posting is outside of the stores official advertisement channels. "But we didnt know we were supposed to call the next person in line", ya right! :roll:

I would verify the vehicle is available as it may not yet be. Another thing is the VIN posted. Rairdons posted my VIN for sale as well when referring to another vehicle

TRONZ said:
That looks legit! An easy 5K over msrp is a slam dunk sale. A rogue "salesman" posting it on Craigslist is a good low profile route for a dealer and gives the management deniability if Nissan comes calling since the posting is outside of the stores official advertisement channels. "But we didnt know we were supposed to call the next person in line", ya right! :roll:

As has been discussed here repeatedly by the dealers - the Nissan-dealer agreement does not give Nissan the ability to dictate to the dealer how and to whom the dealer sells their cars. Once the car is orphaned, it's the dealers to see as they see fit - not Nissan's to tell the dealer who to sell it to.

I am not going to disagree with you. If the dealer signs for the car and the order holder falls out then that's that... BUT that does nothing to address the huge angry mob with "pending". They might have a little something to say about it if this becomes a regular occurrence. I would bet dealers know this and are going to keep orphans ($$$$) as low profile as possible. If it becomes a big problem then Nissan might hold the cars at port until the potential owners confirm wanting the car.

Boardwalk Nissan had my Leaf listed on their web site in their "inventory" before I could come pick it up.

Rairdon has VIN #258 listed for sale... I wonder if it's really available

http://www.rairdon.com/new/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-bedb5e3c0a0a000201192118b7ebf149.htm

IBELEAF said:
Rairdon has VIN #258 listed for sale... I wonder if it's really available

http://www.rairdon.com/new/Nissan/2011-Nissan-LEAF-bedb5e3c0a0a000201192118b7ebf149.htm

That would be my car. At 1900+ miles it would definitely be a used car!!

Back