Orphan Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "equipment" or "options" part of all LEAF VINs reported so far is the "AZ0CP" part of the VIN.

So, apparently SL+QC, SL-eTec, SL, and SV all have the same VIN info ... which seems just a little strange to me.

It appears that #304 is an orphan with 400 miles on it and dealer is trying to sell it through ebay for starting bid of $55K.

This LEAF on eBay is described as having been registered once, so the 2nd owner MIGHT not get the $7500 federal tax credit.

But, by being the FIRST owner without "an intent to resell", the seller claims that you MIGHT be able to get the tax credit.

But, Black and $55k are not the right colors for me!

This is not an orphan since it has already been purchased/registered. This is just someone trying to "flip" the car for a profit. I doubt it will sell but could be wrong.

BTW- "2000 cars were destroyed"? He implied LEAFs but did not actually say it. :roll:

It was reported that other Nissan models (at a more-northern port?) were "re-parked" in orderly linear stacks. However, there has been no report (that I have seen) of any significant number of LEAF destroyed. After all, the LEAF will still drive in 2 feet of water!

#304 was initially listed last night as "new" that is why I assumed it was a dealer. I see that its condition has been changed to "used". Only the first buyer gets the tax credit.

I think it is really sad that some people seek to profit in this way. I doubt that a purchaser of a "used" LEAF will be able to take advantage of the Federal tax credit. But I am not the expert on that subject. I certainly hope that there aren't any people out there that are foolish enough to buy that vehicle, even if they can afford it.

FWIW, I think that photo with people in it was taken at a Drive a LEAF event somewhere.

My NissanLEAF photo... https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Photo.aspx?b=YG2V9R4J8K2Y

Jim M
:mrgreen: 'cause I live in NH and cant order yet.

Lol, I thought I might have stumbled across an orphan (#304) but you guys are all over it!!!

Bidding is up to $25,100.13 (reserve not met)

personally I think that 55k is a laughable figure. Maybe they are fishing for a celeb with more cash than brain matter, that wants a ticket on the "green-train"??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180642486951&viewitem=

Rake said:
personally I think that 55k is a laughable figure. Maybe they are fishing for a celeb with more cash than brain matter, that wants a ticket on the "green-train"??
Well, it could also be a wealthy genius who figures out waiting for months is not worth it for him.

evnow said:
Rake said:
Well, it could also be a wealthy genius who figures out waiting for months is not worth it for him.

Touche' ! :D

I look forward to running into you at a local event, and explaining to you how you unwittingly stole my forum username :)

ttfn

IMHO, there will be hundreds of Orphan Leafs at California dealerships after the $5K rebate fund is exhausted, and if complaints by drivers about problems/shoddy workmanship continue to escalate.

Yes---it's a new technology; Yes---The earthquake/Tsunami in Japan was a serious setback.

Last...but not least---Nissan Customer Service is setting an excellent example on how to frustrate customers and drive away additional potential buyers. Even the most loyal EV proponents (like me) are fed up with this fiasco. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

derkraut said:
IMHO, there will be hundreds of Orphan Leafs at California dealerships after the $5K rebate fund is exhausted

I think the CARB program was going to be "reloaded" each year. It will just become more of a waiting game for some buyers. Eventually it will just go away as battery prices drop.

Back