Orphan Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbluff

Saw a few Leaf's on Autotrader where dealers had them listed for sale. I called two of them. The both told me that they are getting a lot of cancellations and that my name would be added to the "orphan" list. This is the same way Smart did the smart car. Lots of early orders but a lot of people backed out. I asked them why they were getting a lot of cancellations and they said it was because of the cost of the charging station. Also said that before Nissan would give me the Orphan they would require proof the charging station was installed. They told me Nissan wants to avoid any kind of publicity of Leaf's running out of power on the roads.

redbluff said:
Saw a few Leaf's on Autotrader where dealers had them listed for sale. I called two of them. The both told me that they are getting a lot of cancellations and that my name would be added to the "orphan" list. This is the same way Smart did the smart car. Lots of early orders but a lot of people backed out. I asked them why they were getting a lot of cancellations and they said it was because of the cost of the charging station. Also said that before Nissan would give me the Orphan they would require proof the charging station was installed. They told me Nissan wants to avoid any kind of publicity of Leaf's running out of power on the roads.

At what price are these dealers selling the orphan LEAFs?

redbluff - be careful! The story you got from the dealer sounds like total BS to me. Nissan Corp in fact does not care if you have a charging station or not. They recommend it, but it is not required. And if you are dealing with an orphan, it is the dealer that decides how they sell it, not Nissan Corp. Check out the Orphan thread on this forum.

redbluff said:

If they were getting a lot of cancellations, then the 'list' would move pretty quickly, don't you think?

I'm writing this off as dealer BS. IIRC, we've seen only one true orphan so far, but at least one dealer caught red-handed advertising Leafs (with accompanying VIN's) that were NOT available for sale.

This guy is trying to get you to come in and talk, and while you're there, he's going to try and sell you a Juke or something.

I just searched AutoTrader. I found 9 Leaf's for sale. They all had different VIN's, which I found interesting, but if they REALLY had the cars for sale, how come every single listing showed only 1 pic of a Blue Leaf, even though the listings said red, silver and black? And even more important than that, one of the listings was showing a car that had ALREADY BEEN DELIVERED TO ONE OF OUR FORUM MEMBERS! The spreadheet here for deliveries isn't completely accurate, but if there's one Leaf for sale on Autotrader that we know is complete BS, I'm saying they ALL are.

Jimmydreams said:
redbluff said:

If they were getting a lot of cancellations, then the 'list' would move pretty quickly, don't you think?

I'm writing this off as dealer BS. IIRC, we've seen only one true orphan so far, but at least one dealer caught red-handed advertising Leafs (with accompanying VIN's) that were NOT available for sale.

This guy is trying to get you to come in and talk, and while you're there, he's going to try and sell you a Juke or something.

I just searched AutoTrader. I found 9 Leaf's for sale. They all had different VIN's, which I found interesting, but if they REALLY had the cars for sale, how come every single listing showed only 1 pic of a Blue Leaf, even though the listings said red, silver and black? And even more important than that, one of the listings was showing a car that had ALREADY BEEN DELIVERED TO ONE OF OUR FORUM MEMBERS! The spreadheet here for deliveries isn't completely accurate, but if there's one Leaf for sale on Autotrader that we know is complete BS, I'm saying they ALL are.
Yep it's interesting that Campbell Nelson is listing a LEAF sold to deetime7767 on 1/19/2011. Here's the complete list of VINs listed on Autotrader.

JN1AZ0CP7BT000178
JN1AZ0CP6BT000186
JN1AZ0CP3BT000212
JN1AZ0CP2BT000234
JN1AZ0CP2BT000332
JN1AZ0CP4BT000333
JN1AZ0CP3BT000369
JN1AZ0CP1BT000385
JN1AZ0CPXBT000434

It should also be noted that the decision point to either install a L2 home charger or request a waver is before the ordering process. So customers who are put off by the charger cost would most likely cancel their reservation before they order, and there would be no orphan.

redbluff said:
Saw a few Leaf's on Autotrader where dealers had them listed for sale. I called two of them. The both told me that they are getting a lot of cancellations and that my name would be added to the "orphan" list.
There was likely not an actual orphan LEAF available. We know the dealerships are listing LEAFs they don't actually have to generate sales leads. We know of at least four members (me for one) whose dealers pulled this stunt and listed their LEAF for sale. You'll probably begin to receive all sorts of sales/marketing material and your personal information may be resold to other marketers. Just a heads up.

Some of the dealers have automated programs (or subscribe to websites that have automated this) to show all the new car arrivals in their website. That is how a lot of these get listed.

BTW, I was told by a dealer that they got one orphaned Leaf and sold it to someone in NJ, which Nissan didn't like at all ...

charlie1300 said:
The story you got from the dealer sounds like total BS to me.

Those at dealers, please, no offense--but car dealers will stretch the truth at best, and at worst, simply lie. My sweet mother bought her car years ago from the nicest man, who "cared so much about her". This sweet nice man "packed" the deal the maximum allowable amount by law. The "pack" is split between the salesman and the dealer. Another guy to used to sell cars told me they would lease a car, and by sales manager training, tell customers the car would be theirs when the lease was over. Sorry, but car salesman and dealers will lie.

Paul Scott is a straight shooter; this I know, but the car industry is famous for lies from high abouve above (seat belt costs will put us out of business), and lies below, such as "this car was driven by a little old lady to and from church", etc.

The car at Campbell Nelson is a blue leaf that they decided to keep for the dealership and not sell to one of their own staff members who had ordered it. They have used it for test drives, which was very generous--and much appreciated since it was great to have a REAL test drive in it! It is NOT an Orphan in the true sense of the term.

As far as other Leaf's on Auto Trader-- IMHO It's B.S. -

charlie1300 said:
redbluff - be careful! The story you got from the dealer sounds like total BS to me. Nissan Corp in fact does not care if you have a charging station or not. They recommend it, but it is not required. And if you are dealing with an orphan, it is the dealer that decides how they sell it, not Nissan Corp. Check out the Orphan thread on this forum.

I dont think it was all BS. I have talked to two dealers and just missed an Orphan at the Nashville dealer. Someone in New York had just bought it over the phone. From what I have learned from both dealers the have been an abundance of Leaf's having to be towed because drivers are attempting to use the "range" indicator as something of a real number. I was told Nissan is getting a bit embarrassed about the press that is being printed in interviews by those Leaf owners who are disenchanted with the car only getting 75-80 miles on a full charge. Nissan has said some of those owners did not have charging stations. The dealer said Nissan sent them a letter informing them that all Orphans were to be sold only if proof of an installed charging stations.

Also the price was the sticker price. There was no gouging on the price.

redbluff said:
I dont think it was all BS. I have talked to two dealers and just missed an Orphan at the Nashville dealer. Someone in New York had just bought it over the phone. From what I have learned from both dealers the have been an abundance of Leaf's having to be towed because drivers are attempting to use the "range" indicator as something of a real number. I was told Nissan is getting a bit embarrassed about the press that is being printed in interviews by those Leaf owners who are disenchanted with the car only getting 75-80 miles on a full charge. Nissan has said some of those owners did not have charging stations. The dealer said Nissan sent them a letter informing them that all Orphans were to be sold only if proof of an installed charging stations.

Really? A dealer told you this? I'm not an expert, but this forum tends to be a clearing house for any Leaf related info on the web.....I have yet to see anything about an 'abundance' of Leafs being towed or Nissan being 'embarrassed' in any way. Perhaps you can call that dealer back and ask exactly where he/she found this information??

Trust me, it's bullshit. I suppose if those two dealers uttered the famous "trust me" you would do so??

:roll:

have to agree. i am pretty active on several EV, hybrid, renewable energy , etc forums and have heard VERY little complaints from REAL Leaf owners.

now, stories about test drivers having issues seem to abound, but from real owners??? not seeing much other than how much they love their Leafs

redbluff said:
From what I have learned from both dealers the have been an abundance of Leaf's having to be towed because drivers are attempting to use the "range" indicator as something of a real number.
It's self evident this is BS, there aren't even an abundance of LEAFs on the road in the first place!

Now there are some who'll claim posts like yours, as well as other similar posts recently on this forum, are nothing but "concerned trolls" posts. However, I would disagree with that assessment. I believe you simply were misinformed and are attempting to make this forum aware of something you mistakenly assumed to be true. Do I have that right?

Jimmydreams said:
redbluff said:

Really? A dealer told you this? I'm not an expert, but this forum tends to be a clearing house for any Leaf related info on the web.....I have yet to see anything about an 'abundance' of Leafs being towed or Nissan being 'embarrassed' in any way. Perhaps you can call that dealer back and ask exactly where he/she found this information??

Trust me, it's bullshit. I suppose if those two dealers uttered the famous "trust me" you would do so??

:roll:

I am only repeating what I was told. What you do with the information I dont care but personally attacking me is not what this forum is about.

planet4ever said:
OK, I'll play bad cop on this one. I don't think redbluff is getting either good or bad information from dealers. I think he's making this up as he goes.

Thanks. Too bad you decided to make this personal.

Back