One Year of ownership - 37,750 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DANandNAN said:
they're missing a bar (maybe two :?: ) Sellers are definitely going to have a problem. I imagine Carfax has/will be updated their checklist for the Leaf. I foresee having to wait for hours for a full charge before you can sell or trade your car.

The battery reports its losses; no need to wait for a full charge, as they can hook it up to Consult-III. None Nissan dealers won't know any different.

="TaylorSFGuy"
Thanks to FairwoodRed for letting me borrow his GID meter. Over the last few days, my LEAF had readings varied between 272 and 280 at 100% charge. I appreciate his offer and takes some of the guesswork out of the equation....

Miles driven to date, and battery update, please?

edatoakrun said:
="TaylorSFGuy"
Thanks to FairwoodRed for letting me borrow his GID meter. Over the last few days, my LEAF had readings varied between 272 and 280 at 100% charge. I appreciate his offer and takes some of the guesswork out of the equation....

Miles driven to date, and battery update, please?

yes, i am curious too. sooner or later, degradation will happen but wondering if its the number of charge cycles or time that is most important. being to think its the latter.

after 18 months and just short of 20,000 miles i have had a few readings at 275-276 range which is not a lot of loss but have decided to charge daily for a few days to see if this is the new baseline for me.

also wondering if QC'ing has anything to do with it since i have only used it in the past 6 weeks but have never exceeded 6 Tbs.

it seems that more questions arise daily when answers are primarily still unconfirmed.

Well, you beat me to it - was going to wait until I got to 50K. I am actually at 47K.

So here is the quick and dirty - battery - all bars still showing. I have lost 8-10% of my range - 10 bars gone when new was around 66 miles at normal commute pattern. Now it is 59-61.

I might be a member of the QC conspiracy camp. Since my last report, I have used it about 8 times (not sure how exact #) but only once a day each time. I was having a feeling that my range was dropping as I was doing this. I know that 10% loss is expected at 50K miles and I'm almost there, but the quick drop over last 10K miles is why I think the use of QC plays a role.

Generally, I used to multiply my miles/Kwh by 1.5 to confirm I was on track with the bars used - 21kwh/12 bars is more than 1.5 so I figured that was a safe guesstimate. Today, in slower than normal traffic, at the end of my commute, I averaged 5.2miles/kwh yet my 10th bar dropped out at 61 miles. I would have expected 10 bars to go closer to 70 if not more.

When I leave work, the first bar still drops out at 5.4miles as it has for some time. I am a bit apprehensive about what the winter will bring but I know there is a QC more or less on the way. That could become a vicious pattern.

So there you go. I will see about borrowing the meter again when I actually get to 50K and post an update - should be end of this month.

Actually, I guessed your mileage at 47k initially, but figure to over inflate my guesstimate :) Glad to see it's holding up well for you! Did you have any service done?

TaylorSF; you have used the QC a few times. when you did, to what SOC did you charge and how hot did you get? I have only charged beyond 80% twice but charged to 60-65% about 18 times. i never saw more than 6 TBs (temperature bars) and my last two checks on SOC were at 275 or 98%.

i am charging to 100% for next few days to see if the numbers stay consistent

DaveinOlyWA said:
TaylorSF; you have used the QC a few times. when you did, to what SOC did you charge and how hot did you get?
I went until it stopped and turned off - needed to drive more than 50 miles so I made sure I went to 9 or 10 bars. I don't recall the actual percentage. When I left Shelton I was at 6 on the heat scale. After charging on QC at Tumwater, WA it moved to 7.

Dave, if you want to get together, PM me - I drive through Olympia every day.

TaylorSFGuy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
TaylorSF; you have used the QC a few times. when you did, to what SOC did you charge and how hot did you get?
I went until it stopped and turned off - needed to drive more than 50 miles so I made sure I went to 9 or 10 bars. I don't recall the actual percentage. When I left Shelton I was at 6 on the heat scale. After charging on QC at Tumwater, WA it moved to 7.

ya, we can do that. drink some Java and watch your LEAF suck some juice. so you are seeing the 7 TBs? ya, i am thinking that is the point at which the degradation curve starts getting steep.

this morning, i am at 275 GID (98% SOC) for 3rd day in a row so kinda looking like any balancing to be done has been done. it will be 90 today and tomorrow so we shall see how it reacts in warm weather and cold. still no more than 6 TBs for me

TaylorSFGuy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Hello Taylor, at 99k Miles, how many Capacity Bars do you have left?

Fred

TaylorSFGuy said:
Fred. You found an old posting. I have 10 bars left and 217 GID.

Steve

Steve,
Have you an Ah capacity reading for your battery? My analysis of data from Washington shows a strong correlation between ODO miles and Ah capacity. So if you can post the mileage and Ah capacity of your LEAF, that would be very interesting. If you don't have a recent reading, any reading of Ah at high mileage would be interesting. For my plot, the SOC does not matter. My guess is that you have about 45 Ah capacity, if my linear plot is correct.

Thanks

Here is the linear equation I have so far based on limited data (8 readings) from the internet, mainly from the MNL forum. For Washington, the computer-generated equation of the data is:

Ah capacity = 65.756 - 0.00022566*Mileage R= 0.9772

I assume at 0 miles, the Ah capacity is 66 Ah. So for a LEAF at 100K miles, the calculated capacity is 43.19 Ah for a LEAF in WA.

I am interested if your LEAF battery has this capacity, or my projection is way off. Of course, it would help if I more data.

linkim said:
Here is the linear equation I have so far based on limited data (8 readings) from the internet, mainly from the MNL forum. For Washington, the computer-generated equation of the data is:

I assume at 0 miles, the Ah capacity is 66 Ah. So for a LEAF at 100K miles, the calculated capacity is 43.19 Ah for a LEAF in WA.

I am interested if your LEAF battery has this capacity, or my projection is way off. Of course, it would help if I more data.
You need to look at Stoaty's battery degradation model.
Your equation may be correct IF all the eight vehicles have similar time between manufacture and the current date in a similar average ambient temperature environment.
But that is a poor way to look at it.
Battery degradation is based on time (from manufacture), temperature exposure,and number of cycles.

TimLee said:
linkim said:

You need to look at Stoaty's battery degradation model.
Your equation may be correct IF all the eight vehicles have similar time between manufacture and the current date in a similar average ambient temperature environment.
But that is a poor way to look at it.
Battery degradation is based on time (from manufacture), temperature exposure,and number of cycles.

Because of the significant rate of change in the Ah capacity of my 2011 LEAF battery following the software update in Oct. 2013, I was curious how other LEAFs are behaving. So I decided to track the changes in Ah capacity with mileage of LEAFs in various geographic areas. I picked Ah capacity and mileage because these are two parameters than are easily quantified. A graph of these preliminary findings was posted on the sfbayleafs Facebook page. Subsequently, I have separated the results for 4 different regions of the US, but have not posted those results yet. As expected, the change in Ah capacity in Arizona-Texas is considerably greater than that in Washington state. In a sense, this takes into account the effect of temperature, but not the model year or driving profiles. Perhaps mileage is loosely connected to number of cycles, but I am sure this will be a stretch in many minds. In any case, the point of this exercise is to satisfy my own curiosity about the change in Ah capacity of my LEAF.

I am familiar with Stoaty’s model, and I posted my results using his model on the sfbayleafs Facebook page (Nov. 26), so you may not have seen my comments. At 70% EOL (64934 miles), his model predicted 86.88%. Using my plot (mileage vs. Ah capacity) for the SF Bay Area where I live, and extrapolating to 64934 miles, the capacity is estimated to be 86% (57/66.25), which is in good agreement with Stoaty’s model. Since I have a very limited database, I am attempting to collect more data to improve the correlations.

Wennfred said:
217 GIDs is still really good, I charge to 230 GIDs with 23k miles.

Now the question is, Taylor is now Out of warranty, once he passes the 100k miles?
+1
I'm at 223 GIDS with 16k miles in San Diego with my ultra-babied battery. :(

Fred

Back