Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw an article today in Barron's (source, Associated Press) that Tesla has modified a battery supply agreement with supplier Panasonic, to provide ~2 billion cells, enough for about 300,000 Model S and X vehicles over the next 4 years.
-This appears to me to indicate that Tesla is committed to current battery technology for at least the next 4 years (although I'm quite sure their lawyers have an escape clause embedded in that contract);
-Seems to me that Tesla is between the proverbial rock & hard place, i.e., they must have a reliable supply of proven batteries, and a supplier of same, but doesn't this make it harder for Tesla to upgrade to new chemistry, if and when it appears?
Also this bodes ill for my own hope of Tesla making a Leaf competitor with ~200 mile range within the next 2 years! :(
Comments?

It takes a long time to commercialize a new battery technology. It will probably be longer than four years before we see a slightly better battery. And then you still need to worry about how a new battery technology will hold up over time. You'd want to run lots of cycle tests over a long period of time before committing to putting them in a car. If they aren't reliable, your company probably goes out of business.

In that context, a four year agreement is nothing.

I don't see how this affects the development of the gen3 vehicle. The batteries could be used in any vehicle they develop.

smkettner said:
It tells me production should be ramping up very soon.
I am looking for softer prices as the wait time dissappears.
I thought this was a longer term deal, not like a billion cells arrive in shipping containers next week. They need to line up supply for model X production.

was there not also a tech development agreement as well? which means a break thru could change the agreement they have for delivery of old tech?

have been involved in enough of these types of things that I can say with relative certainty that anything can happen before the end of the 4 year agreement.

Petecomp1 said:
I saw an article today in Barron's (source, Associated Press) that Tesla has modified a battery supply agreement with supplier Panasonic, to provide ~2 billion cells, enough for about 300,000 Model S and X vehicles over the next 4 years.
-This appears to me to indicate that Tesla is committed to current battery technology for at least the next 4 years (although I'm quite sure their lawyers have an escape clause embedded in that contract);
-Seems to me that Tesla is between the proverbial rock & hard place, i.e., they must have a reliable supply of proven batteries, and a supplier of same, but doesn't this make it harder for Tesla to upgrade to new chemistry, if and when it appears?
Also this bodes ill for my own hope of Tesla making a Leaf competitor with ~200 mile range within the next 2 years! :(
Comments?
Panasonic is not standing still. The agreement I am sure allows for improved battery technology to be phased in when the technology proves itself.

Elon being interviewed on the first S battery fire, stating (or the first time, I believe) that battery cells were damaged in that incident, causing the cells to ignite, and expounding on the fire risks inherent with ICEVs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E3Si8FWb18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if he knew about the second S fire (10/18) which he does not mention during this (10/24 ?) interview?

http://insideevs.com/video-tesla-model-s-in-flames-after-violent-crash-in-mexico/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he did, probably a PR error (IMO) not to mention it himself, to put it in the best light, and remove the question of what did he know and when did he know it?

palmermd said:
this is not a Model S.

Thanks.

I thought I was searching the S topic...

BTW, the Corning Supercharger made the local news last night:

http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/tesla-opens-supercharger-station-in-corning-mt-shasta-to-follow/-/14322302/22749870/-/14nq2q5/-/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My neighbor seemed like he was all set to pull the trigger on a model S after taking a test drive at plug in day, but he told me this evening his brother is against it because "for what I'd be spending I'd never make it back on gas savings"; that the tesla isn't upscale enough for what it costs, and it looks like a "Hoon-dye".

I'm telling you people, this is going to be a loooooong slog.

Lol! Your neighbor should take a test drive in the Model S with his brother and then see what he says.

LTLFTcomposite said:
My neighbor seemed like he was all set to pull the trigger on a model S after taking a test drive at plug in day, but he told me this evening his brother is against it because "for what I'd be spending I'd never make it back on gas savings";.................................
Tell me about it - I'm 82 and will never recoup the premium I paid for a LEAF over an ICE, let alone the Tesla.

My wife and I are very pleased with our EVs and are glad we chucked liquid fuel.

Yes, put that wet blanket in a P85 for a test drive, and see if he doesn't change his tune.

LTLFTcomposite said:
My neighbor seemed like he was all set to pull the trigger on a model S after taking a test drive at plug in day, but he told me this evening his brother is against it because "for what I'd be spending I'd never make it back on gas savings"; that the tesla isn't upscale enough for what it costs, and it looks like a "Hoon-dye".
Zythryn said:
Lol! Your neighbor should take a test drive in the Model S with his brother and then see what he says.
ebill3 said:
Yes, put that wet blanket in a P85 for a test drive, and see if he doesn't change his tune.
It is, after all, both the best car ever made and the safest car ever made -- according to, well, just about everyone. How much is that worth in this equation?

Tesla just completed their #DriveFree publicity stunt and posted a pic of their Model S in Vancouver BC. See http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-energizes-west-coast-supercharger-corridor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/drivefree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
This morning in San Diego, two Model S will embark on a 1,750 mile #DriveFree road trip to Vancouver powered only by Tesla Superchargers. The journey will take them through Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Sacramento, Mt. Shasta, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, with stops at popular destinations such as the Santa Monica pier, Monterey Bay and the world famous Pike Place Fish Market. Throughout the trip, Tesla will be hosting owner and media events and providing real time updates from the road on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

LTLFTcomposite said:

I'm telling you people, this is going to be a loooooong slog.

Actually the lack of true luxury design is what kept me from buying a model S. Instead I got a roadster and a Leaf, which honestly is a better interior experience than the model S.

epirali said:
Actually the lack of true luxury design is what kept me from buying a model S. Instead I got a roadster and a Leaf, which honestly is a better interior experience than the model S.
Yep. The LEAF has grab handles and a place to hang a suit jacket. :lol:

ebill3 said:
epirali said:
Yep. The LEAF has grab handles and a place to hang a suit jacket. :lol:
Yes but no range. I also still think there should be a TMS to prevent battery overheating. But I would be willing to pay 65,000 for a Leaf with a 300 mile range and the Tesla supercharger network. With a ten year warrenty on the Batter Range.

Back