Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
RonDawg said:
GRA said:
27kWh, 360V/96 cells, 200Wh/kg Li-NMC polymer chemistry with graphite anode, gel electrolyte and ceramic separators, air-cooled.

Sounds like the Leaf might have some company in the premature battery degradation department.

If you remember, Nissan is going to have a 'hot' battery (ceramic separators) in Spring 2014. So Kia's pack should also be able to withstand high heat over time.
IIRR, the ceramic separators are there for safety (to prevent thermal runaway), and have nothing to do with heat tolerance. See http://www.electrochem.org/dl/interface/sum/sum12/sum12_p061_065.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether or not Nissan has a 'hot' battery, in spring or any other time, remains to be seen. We don't know if their testing has shown any issues and even if it hasn't, AFAWK neither did their original battery in the accelerated testing they did back in 2009-2010. Talk, especially Nissan's battery talk, is cheap. Until Nissan warranties batteries to 80% of capacity for at least 3 yrs./36k miles and preferably 5 yrs./60k, it's not a hot battery, just more hot air.

GRA said:
We don't know if their testing has shown any issues and even if it hasn't, AFAWK neither did their original battery in the accelerated testing they did back in 2009-2010.
This is something we all want to learn about - but I guess we won't know until someone writes a tell all 10 years from now.

My guess is they ignored inconvenient data. I do remember them advising against leaving Leaf in hot conditions (which people pointed out even very early on was normal in Pheonix).

Kia Soul EV undergoes winter testing

The Winter Olympics may be in full swing in Sochi, but Kia has turned to northern Sweden to put its innovative new drivetrain through its paces.

Its electric car, the Soul EV (pictured), is undergoing comprehensive winter testing with a focus on validation testing within the Arctic Circle that is meant to put the company's heating and ventilation systems through their paces.

Among the innovations in the vehicle is a driver-only ventilation system that is meant to improve the efficiency of the battery and increase range.

Kia Soul EV Energy Saving Ventilation System

Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC systems) are seen as vital in the effort to reduce energy consumption of electric cars. It is believed that in a worst case scenario, with extremely cold conditions, the maximum use of HVAC systems could even reduce the range of an electric car by as much as 50 per cent.

As a result, Kia's engineers implemented four new technologies - an efficient heat pump that utilises the waste heat from the air conditioning; a smart air induction control; individual ventilation; and scheduled ventilation. The heat pump is able to cut energy consumption by reducing the load on the battery and helps to increase the electric car's overall range. The individual ventilation system meanwhile, reduces energy consumption as it only provides ventilation and heating to the driver while completely shutting off heating and ventilation to areas such as the foot-well and dashboard on the passenger side. It is activated using a driver only button...

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2014/02/13/kia-soul-ev-undergoes-winter-testing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
sorry if I missed it but what is the price expected to be?
Not yet announced.
100 miles !

Kia needs those 3 credits - so it will be 100 miles on city cycle.
Yes, Kia has said 120 miles, but who knows on what cycle that is - probably something unrealistic in the U.S. Kia did say that the price will not be such as to move large numbers of them (that wasn't the exact wording, but the gist).

Now the Kia Soul Goes Electric! Join the #SoulEVBuzz!
Explore about Soul EV and leave your impressions via Facebook & Twitter to win the prize.

Kia has unveiled the Soul EV this February on Chicago Auto show.
Now, we want to hear what you think about this Electrified Soul.
What are you waiting for? Visit our site to explore more about Soul EV and leave your impressions.
The more relevant, insightful and acute to Soul EV’s characteristics, the higher your chances of winning!
Winner’s comments will be shown on Soul EV PR film at upcoming Geneva Motor Show on March.

Period
6th February – 16th February

Prize
Freitag Bag – for 30 winners

Participant Page
http://bit.ly/SoulEVBuzz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eugene87 said:
What are you waiting for? Visit our site to explore more about Soul EV and leave your impressions.
The more relevant, insightful and acute to Soul EV’s characteristics, the higher your chances of winning!
Winner’s comments will be shown on Soul EV PR film at upcoming Geneva Motor Show on March.
I guess that means we can assume any negative comments or constructive criticism will not be accepted. My main complaint with the car is the 0-60 performance.

I really liked the first Kia Soul commercial with the hamsters. If you figure out a new commercial for the electric version using the same hamster theme and it is just as funny, I think you'll have a winner on your hands...Maybe the hamster wheels have a small belt with a small electric motor or something...

The look is fine for me (I drive a Forester, and would have gotten an AWD Element instead if they'd been available at the time), but it might not be long enough for my needs. The 0-60 isn't great, but I can live with just about anything after surviving my dad's '76 Peugeot 504 diesel (0-60 in 28.1 seconds). Like all the sub-$40k BEVs it needs more range, and while fan cooling is better than nothing, the lack of a liquid-cooled TMS would be my biggest worry.

SOUL-EV is a cool car. I like the bodystyle way better than LEAF. Instrumentation seems better. Cargo space is reletively huge.
Now if Kia had just put in a 150 EPA mile battery it would be a slam dunk.

smkettner said:
Now if Kia had just put in a 150 EPA mile battery it would be a slam dunk.

I doubt there would be many takers willing to cough up 45-50k on a Soul. I do like its looks better than the Leaf. I might even get one to replace my Leaf, my 70-mile commute can be easily done on 27kWh, of course the bigger question is for how long. I can barely make it on my 1 bar loser after 2.5 years/48k miles. Hopefully they learned from Nissan's mistakes.

Back