Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090170_2015-kia-soul-ev-electric-car-unveiled-at-chicago-auto-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's going to have CHAdeMO quick-charging and be available in more states than just CA. :D

Now we just need to teach the Kia dealers how to ice the chargers and we have a solid competitor to Nissan.

That's great to have another manufacturer on the Chademo standard. Right now 99% of Chademo users in the USA are Leaf drivers. But hopefully in a few years that will change and we'll have this Kia Soul and the Outlander PHEV. And I suspect Mitsubishi will eventually redesign the i-Miev too.

"In an effort to maximize efficiency and range, the Soul EV uses Kia's third-generation regenerative braking system to capture up to 12 percent of the car's kinetic energy, which is fed back into the battery while the Soul EV is coasting and braking."

Seems disappointingly low at 12%. Not enough "effort".

It's crazy to think that 3 years after the release of the Leaf that that manufacturers will still release a similar range car to the Leaf.

Kia even claim that the soul battery has 46% greater energy density than the Leaf battery, so why not a 35 kwh battery and really make headlines ?

They also claim 27 kwh, so I wonder how much of that is usable, considering the Leaf has about 20 kwh.

I do wish they would offer different power options, 12 seconds isn't really fast.

o00scorpion00o said:
It's crazy to think that 3 years after the release of the Leaf that that manufacturers will still release a similar range car to the Leaf.

If I'm not mistaken, once you achieve 100 miles range on the city test, no bonus ZEV credits are awarded until you get to at least 200 miles. There's simply too little incentive to sell a BEV with a 30-45 kWh battery. The RAV4 has a 40 kWh one only because that's the smallest battery Tesla had on hand to sell them.

I think its crazier for us to think we know what an auto manufacturer should have armed with zero knowledge of their cost, technology or long term goals.

Its easy to say "what about Tesla?" So what about them? The Soul is not competing with them so it is not a valid question. There is really no evidence of a significant market for a longer range EV for an additional $10,000 unless it gets 200 miles and that is simply not possible. As it is, one for $50,000 is not currently possible.

Berlino said:
o00scorpion00o said:

If I'm not mistaken, once you achieve 100 miles range on the city test, no bonus ZEV credits are awarded until you get to at least 200 miles. There's simply too little incentive to sell a BEV with a 30-45 kWh battery. The RAV4 has a 40 kWh one only because that's the smallest battery Tesla had on hand to sell them.

The Tesla powered Mercedes B Class is 28kWh. The battery in the Rav4 EV is about 45kWh.

More info can be found in Kia's press release, provided in this ABG article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-kia-soul-ev-chicago-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summarizing the technical points of interest to us:

1. 27kWh, 360V/96 cells, 200Wh/kg Li-NMC polymer chemistry with graphite anode, gel electrolyte and ceramic separators, air-cooled (by fan).

2. 6.6 kW OBC

3. D and B modes, usable in normal and Eco modes (highest regen in Eco)

4. Chademo, it and J1772 receptacles in front grill behind sliding port, 33 minutes to 80% using 50kW charger

5. Heat pump, optional on base model (are you listening, Nissan?), standard on '+'

6. Rear legroom reduced from 39.1" to 36", cargo space from 24.2 to 19.1 cu. ft.

7. Nav, rear camera, hands-free Bluetooth, pwr windows, pwr driver's seat, driver-only ventilation selection all standard

8. Cloth seats standard (yay!), leather optional

adric22 said:
I suspect Mitsubishi will eventually redesign the i-Miev too.

Mitsubishi is supposed to re-introduce the iMiEV for 2014. Whether it will continue to look like a glorified golf cart, I don't know.

GRA said:
27kWh, 360V/96 cells, 200Wh/kg Li-NMC polymer chemistry with graphite anode, gel electrolyte and ceramic separators, air-cooled.

Sounds like the Leaf might have some company in the premature battery degradation department.

RonDawg said:
GRA said:
27kWh, 360V/96 cells, 200Wh/kg Li-NMC polymer chemistry with graphite anode, gel electrolyte and ceramic separators, air-cooled.

Sounds like the Leaf might have some company in the premature battery degradation department.

still more cooling than the LEAF

RonDawg said:
GRA said:

At least Kia is using a fan. I don't recall for certain, but NMC may be a bit more heat tolerant too.

GRA said:
RonDawg said:
GRA said:

At least Kia is using a fan. I don't recall for certain, but NMC may be a bit more heat tolerant too.

When outside temps are over 100 F, I'm not sure how much help a fan is going to be if the chemistry is also not more heat tolerant than the one used in the Leaf, especially if the car is kept inside of a closed garage with minimal air flow.

TonyWilliams said:
Berlino said:
o00scorpion00o said:

The Tesla powered Mercedes B Class is 28kWh. The battery in the Rav4 EV is about 45kWh.

The B class is not exactly what I would call worth the price premium over the Soul or Leaf, though it will be more powerful. The I3 costs too much and it's too small, though it would be a lot more fun to drive than the Leaf, range wise apart from the Rav 4 which isn't available here there is nothing IMO to compete with the Leaf, not here anyway.

Nissan should offer more battery options and a decent 0-100 kph for Leaf II.

RonDawg said:
GRA said:
RonDawg said:
When outside temps are over 100 F, I'm not sure how much help a fan is going to be if the chemistry is also not more heat tolerant than the one used in the Leaf, especially if the car is kept inside of a closed garage with minimal air flow.
Agreed, the fan alone isn't going to make a big difference in longevity in hot areas, but it might help in areas like coastal SoCal or parts of the Bay Area where the high temps are rarely in the triple digits, and even then can be expected to drop into the '60s or at most '70s overnight.

the ability to circulate air especially if a rudimentary heat sink is involved can be effective under pretty high ambient temps. we might not see a lot of benefits when OAT is 120º in Phoenix but should be helpful just about anywhere else

Back