Official Hyundai Ioniq 5 topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
Finally had a chance to see one in person, sit in it, play with it for about 10 minutes.

Rally Hyundai in Palmdale has a white and a black (both SEL). I love the outside.

The inside I'm less excited about - I think the screens are nice and big but just don't like the integration style, and I don't like the steering wheel.

That said, I'd buy one if my wife let me. Right now she says no. She didn't like it, so we will wait to see what else comes out this summer.
she is still hoping Q4 comes out but I have heard that has been pushed back now to July, and those audi dealers are going to mark it up 10-20k.... ouch, which is a no.

I still plan to check it out more when i can just for fun. I'd really like to see a SE trim.
From what I can tell, the SE looses the heated steering wheel, looses leather, looses the Assist 2.0 and the rear air vents, and has LED reflectors instead of projectors for headlights.

I'm fine with all of that, and in fact, without ventilation, prefer cloth anyway. I believe even the SE comes with adaptive cruise, and the 2.0 adds extra features I could totally live without. So really the only downside is the heated steering wheel - which I do really love in my Leaf - and maybe the rear air vents. No idea on the headlights, both appear to be LED, but its possible the reflectors are worse?

IIHS rates headlights so time will tell on that. Not rated yet.

But I do love the outside.
Also loses power lift gate, front parking sensors, ambient lighting, highway driving assist 2. All those things are worth $2000 more for an SEL for me. Funny I ordered a Mach-E and didn't want to spend $2000 on 19" wheels, B&O sound, and glass roof.

Also loses power lift gate, front parking sensors, ambient lighting, highway driving assist 2. All those things are worth $2000 more for an SEL for me. Funny I ordered a Mach-E and didn't want to spend $2000 on 19" wheels, B&O sound, and glass roof.

I could live w/o power lift gate, ambient lighting, and highway driving 2.0 - as long as I got adaptive cruise with the SE, I don't need the assist 2.0. I would miss the front sensors but such is life.

But since my wife isn't sold on the I5 maybe it doesn't matter anyway.

IEVS:
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Review: In Like With You
A brilliant, attractive all-electric crossover/hatchback fusion that has just a few tiny annoyances.

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/570382/2022-hyundai-ioniq5-review/

What are some of those annoyances? Probably deal killers for me:

. . . It's in the tech department where the Ioniq's annoyances crop up. Its 12.3-inch touchscreen runs the same infotainment software as any other modern Hyundai or Kia, so you'll enjoy beautiful graphics, sharp responses, and a logical selection of menus and options. Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are still absent, of course, and it's perplexing that this is still a problem on a new vehicle. The bigger woe comes when you want to do little things, like turn on the heated seats.

Despite physical climate controls that match any other Hyundai product, there is no hard button for the seat heater, ventilation, or heated steering wheel. You'll need to swipe left from the home screen, find the appropriate icon, tap it, then drag a slider up or down only to realize you've gone too far and need to make another adjustment. This is two or three steps too many while parked and it's downright perilous at highway speeds. I don't understand this decision when you consider the amount of real estate below the touchscreen.

and
The Ioniq 5 does not offer a rear windshield wiper, and after less than 100 miles of driving on wet, salty roads, I could barely see out the back. I imagine this will be an even bigger issue in dusty environments.

Using OTA updates, Tesla has iteratively improved the GUI to deal with driver complaints. It's impossible to please everyone, but I would think that Hyundai will likewise improve the GUI for the seat heater, ventilation, and heated steering wheel if enough people complain.

I'm one of those people who actually dislikes a rear wiper, I don't think I have ever turned on the rear wiper on my LEAF and very likely never will.

So, if only those little things make the dislikes list, then a used Ioniq 5 will be a good fit for me in a few more years.

alozzy said:
Using OTA updates, Tesla has iteratively improved the GUI to deal with driver complaints. It's impossible to please everyone, but I would think that Hyundai will likewise improve the GUI for the seat heater, ventilation, and heated steering wheel if enough people complain.

I'm one of those people who actually dislikes a rear wiper, I don't think I have ever turned on the rear wiper on my LEAF and very likely never will.

So, if only those little things make the dislikes list, then a used Ioniq 5 will be a good fit for me in a few more years.

No touch screen will ever be as easy to use as a physical control, especially without taking your eyes off the road, so while improvements can be made it's improving from terrible to slightly less so. My '88 Subaru wagon had the best physical HVAC controls from the human factors perspective of any car I've ever owned or driven: https://images.app.goo.gl/VrddpiFCvUQA4RjV6 (This is the GL-10 with the digital dash but the HVAC controls are the same as my GL with the standard round mechanical speed/tach dials), just to the right of the right thumb rest on the steering wheel rim. With your thumb hooked around the wheel rim you could reach over to the controls with your fingers, so no taking your eyes off the road to find them. Then, each control for a different purpose has a different shape/movement, so you can do the whole thing by feel. Temperature is the vertical sliding lever closest to the wheel - low temp is at the bottom, high at the top - adjusting to suit is trivial. Fan speed is the round rotating knob below that, off is all the way counter-clockwise, each fan speed increase is one detent clockwise. Finally, air direction is controlled by the vertical row of square push buttons immediately to the right of the temp slider, and above the fan speed switch. Off is the bottom button, and ascending up the row each succeeding button selects Floor, Bi-level, Dash, Heat/Defrost. It's all completely intuitive, and shows just how bad touch-sensitive controls are by contrast for operational ease and safety. Most physical controls aren't as good as that Subie, but they're still far better than the typical touchscreen controls, because you don't have to look at them.

As for rear wipers, do you ski? Having a rear wiper and washer can be the difference between being able to see out of the rear window while driving and having to stop and manually clean it repeatedly every so often, once you get to where the roads are dry. This has been an issue for me with cars having near vertical rear hatches, i.e. wagons/CUVs - unless there's a spoiler at the top of the hatch to direct airflow down over the window (which doesn't help mpg), road dust curls up and onto the rear hatch/window from below owing to air currents and/or a low pressure zone - whatever the cause, the back of the car gets filthy. I don't know if states that use salt to melt snow have the same problem, but California uses sand and it's a definite problem here. Same with loose dirt roads, although speeds are generally lower so it's not as bad, except when you stop and the trail of dust that's been following you catches up to the car.

No worries GRA, I understand that the Ioniq 5 doesn't work for everyone. I wasn't dismissing your reasoning for disliking some features or lack thereof, I just have a difference of opinion about how important a rear wiper and hard heater controls are to me.

I haven't driven one, but I love the styling of the Ioniq 5. I definitely see myself buying one of these used in a few years, provided I like how it drives.

For context, I owned some crappy cars in my youth (a Dodge Colt, a Pontiac Firefly, a beat up Ford Ranger), so I'm not very particular about amenities and such.

I'm much more focused on reliability, the driving experience, and maintenance costs long term. For those reasons, my head says to buy another LEAF as my 2013 has so far been ridiculously reliable - far better than any other car I have ever owned...

Although I must admit that, although it was a cheapo econobox, the Pontiac Firefly (aka Chevy Sprint) was super easy to work on and cheap to repair. The wimpy 1L three cylinder engine was actually very reliable too, as was the manual transmission.

But the Ioniq 5 might just win me over, someday :)

I've heard rumors that the 2023 version of the I5, in Europe anyway, might have some changes to address some of these issues, including the rear window. Not sure yet when or if those changes are coming here.

alozzy said:
Using OTA updates, Tesla has iteratively improved the GUI to deal with driver complaints.

And using OTA updates, Tesla has occasionally made the GUI more worse to deal with at times. v11 removed the seat heater and defroster controls as static, always visible items, and both now require multiple presses to activate (or even see if they are on). The initial v10 update previously did this to just the seat heaters, and the change was reverted in the OTA update a month later after much negative feedback. So far they have not backpedaled on the v11 changes, which IMHO are rather annoying. Musk's point is that it should all be done by voice, and in fairness it does work really well to control it that way. I prefer to have direct control, however, and also dislike losing the quick-glance to see if they are enabled.

I'm sure none of these controls are used by Tesla GUI engineers in southern Cal, so they think they are superfluous.

I don't know, if (only) my wife was onboard with it, I still would be interested in the ioniq 5. I haven't heard any quality issues with it, some minor issues such as the lack of rear wiper, but not quality issues like tesla has - you know, such as forgetting to match the tires, or remembering to install all four brakes.

I guess the question that isn't yet answered is how Hyundai's design will hold up, how the battery will fair over the long run.

Do folks really think it will do worse than the Leaf?

I am confident Hyundai will have a decent quality and that Ioniq5 really looks nice. However watching reviews like the Munro give me enough questioning about some of the design decisions that went into it. You can see how things may improve as new revisions come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XFOa1x1Hc

^^^
Wow! Totally agree. I didn't watch much of the video but did watch that part.

I've only skimmed https://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/kia-ev6-vs-hyundai-ioniq-5-comparison-sibling-rivalry (Kia EV6 vs Hyundai Ioniq 5 Comparison: Sibling Rivalry).

GCR:
Hyundai Ioniq 5 road-trip charging: Don't seek out 350-kw connectors, 150 kw might be just as fast

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...harging-350-kw-connectors-150-kw-just-as-fast

The title's somewhat misleading, as it's temperature-dependent. GCR:
Part of what makes the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and its close cousin, the Kia EV6, so noteworthy in the market is that they’re capable of taking advantage of 350-kw CCS connectors, and their faster-charging power levels allowed by 800-volt charging systems.

On those 350-kw connectors, in ideal conditions, that can assure a road-trip charge from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes. We’ve seen close to that, and it’s astonishingly quick. It and other vehicles that can utilize the increasingly common 350-kw connectors—including the Lucid Air, the Porsche Taycan, the Audi E-Tron GT, and the GMC Hummer EV—show that higher-power charging can be a game-changer.

That said, 350-kw connectors still aren’t that common. Map out your electric-vehicle trip around 150-kw connectors and it’s likely you have a lot more flexibility versus aiming for 350-kw connectors every time.

So… if we were to just charge at a more conveniently located 150-kw charger, would I really be giving that much up in time?

The short answer: In the Ioniq 5 or EV6, probably not.
Between these two models, I’ve already seen more than a half-dozen DC fast-charges, with only two of those charge sessions, on a nice warm day, at something close to the claimed rate. Just under a half hour is more realistic from a 350-kw connector.

That happens to be, essentially, what I recently saw during a follow-up with the Hyundai Ioniq 5. On a 150-kw connector.

In charging this test car, a 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited AWD—with the larger 77.4-kwh battery pack and a 256-mile EPA range rating—I don’t think I gave up any time in heading over to the 150-kw charger instead.

With ambient temperature at 68 degrees and relatively gentle driving just beforehand, I plugged into an 150-kw Electrify America connector at 8%. And it took just 15 minutes to get to 50%, with only 11 minutes remaining to get to 80%. And the shocking part was that, while I’ve noted erratic burst rates in 350-kw charging, the Ioniq 5 charged steady around 130 kw, working its way gradually closer to 150 kw as the pack warmed up to ideal.

Cooler or rainy? Probably not going to see fast enough to justify 350 kw

To throw another example into the mix. About a week later I revisited the Kia EV6, with the same size battery pack, and after more spirited driving but moister, cooler weather (49 degrees), plugging into the 350-kw connector got me from 7% to 80% in 31 minutes. Yes, actually slower. I saw lower power at first, then a burst to 202 kw, briefly at 35%, with power settling to just above 150 kw for the rest of the charge.

Yes, the ambient temperature probably had a lot to do with the slower pace. But unlike the 350-kw charges, the battery temperature doesn’t seem to need to be in a particular sweet spot in order to achieve close to the peak rate from a 150-kw connector.

Hyundai and Kia have talked about introducing a preconditioning feature and that might change things in the future, making that peak rate more widely accessible. But it's worth keeping in mind that even by official, ideal times, Hyundai quotes 25 minutes at 150 kw vs. 18 minutes at 350 kw.

Great efficiency, too

In my follow-up with the Ioniq 5, I found it to be nearly as efficient as I experienced in my Southern California first drive back in December. Over 70.7 miles (odometer checked), I averaged an indicated 3.8 miles per kwh in a mix of city and suburban driving, then over 141.4 miles of freeway driving—most of it near 70 mph, but in Eco mode—I averaged 3.3 miles per kwh. That points to highway driving right in line with the EPA range, and commute-style range likely to deliver something close to 300 miles in ideal conditions. . . .

With charging rates of 150 kW or more, a 60 kWh pack is plenty big for road tripping AFAIK. On longer road trips, a good strategy would be cycles of 70 mph driving for 3 hours, followed by 20 minutes of charging. Unless the trip is thousands of miles long, that's pretty reasonable.

alozzy said:
With charging rates of 150 kW or more, a 60 kWh pack is plenty big for road tripping AFAIK. On longer road trips, a good strategy would be cycles of 70 mph driving for 3 hours, followed by 20 minutes of charging. Unless the trip is thousands of miles long, that's pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately, none of the current "300 mile" or less range BEVs can cruise for 3 hours at 70, definitely not if they're only using 60% (20-80%, what I'd use) or 70% (10-80%) of total capacity. As the EPA range is Combined not HWY, you can probably subtract 9-10% from EPA for most cars to get the HWY range e.g. the 2017 Bolt's 238 EPA combined was only 217 on the HWY cycle.

Using 9%, the Ioniq 5 AWD's 256 mile combined range drops to 233 miles, and 70% of that is only 163, with 60% just 140, both before any subtraction for weather, terrain and HVAC use.

The Green Reports article author stated, for highway driving averaging 70 mph, the Ioniq5 was getting 3.3 miles/kWh. With a 60 kWh pack, that's 200 miles of range for 100% DoD. So, very close to 2 hours of driving at that speed (70 mph x 2 hrs = 210 miles) for 70% DoD.

So, you are correct.

However, I'm still good with 2 hours of driving @70 mph before having to recharge. Also, I'm guessing that driving at 60 mph would eek out close to 3 hours of continuous driving if DoD is 80% and tire pressure is 40 psi.

This car is the subject of today's Rumble Seat column in the Wall Street Journal.
Dan Neil says:
"For EV doubters, this last item might be the most persuasive: The Ioniq 5 comes with Hyundai’s usual 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, in this case including battery pack, the onboard charger, motors and power electronics. Also included is five years of unlimited-miles roadside assistance."

Back