Official Coda Electric Car thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
Unfortunately, they probably cannot afford to take the kind of loss on each car that Nissan is able to tolerate.

Has anyone seen actual financials on this??? Nissan has stated many times that they are NOT losing money on the LEAF. That could also mean NOT making money either (at this stage of the program). One thing is certain, each EV Nissan delivers improves the overall programs financials. Let's also remember that Nissan has been clear that they are releasing 3 more production EV's. It is likely they all fall under the same programs and will improve the LEAFs profit no matter where it started from.

TRONZ said:
Has anyone seen actual financials on this??? Nissan has stated many times that they are NOT losing money on the LEAF. That could also mean NOT making money either (at this stage of the program). One thing is certain, each EV Nissan delivers improves the overall programs financials. Let's also remember that Nissan has been clear that they are releasing 3 more production EV's. It is likely they all fall under the same programs and will improve the LEAFs profit no matter where it started from.

I haven't seen any financial information either. But you have to wonder with the exchange rate being what it is, and the price of the Leaf being sold in Europe and Japan vs. the price being sold here in the USA. It seems like they wouldn't be making as much profit.

Now, once they get the Tennessee factory pumping out Leafs, that may change the equation.

Personally, I'm glad I got one of the Japanese models, even if it was one of the first ones made. My friend who works for Toyota always tells me that when they have vehicles that are made in both Japan and the USA, that the ones made in Japan still have better workmanship and reliability than their American counterparts.

Well, Adric, I disagree about your Japanese TARDIS, er, make that LEAF, but only because as a Wave 2 buyer I have to pay nearly $2K more for my LEAF than the Wave 1 folks did, and that includes all the value-added components; as in, about $3.5K more in price but I get about $1.5K of options now standard meaning I end up paying an extra $2K for nothing, not even green paint!

As for the coda, I have a friend from Beijing and she told me never trust any product made in China. I tend to agree as I'm no fan of tainted milk and lead in the paint of my children's toys.

TimeHorse said:
Well, Adric, I disagree about your Japanese TARDIS, er, make that LEAF, but only because as a Wave 2 buyer I have to pay nearly $2K more for my LEAF than the Wave 1 folks did, and that includes all the value-added components; as in, about $3.5K more in price but I get about $1.5K of options now standard meaning I end up paying an extra $2K for nothing, not even green paint!

As for the coda, I have a friend from Beijing and she told me never trust any product made in China. I tend to agree as I'm no fan of tainted milk and lead in the paint of my children's toys.

I wish I could talk more about the Infiniti EV I saw last week, but I can't because of NDA. However, if you want to talk in terms of Coda killer..... ;)

mwalsh said:
I wish I could talk more about the Infiniti EV I saw last week, but I can't because of NDA. However, if you want to talk in terms of Coda killer..... ;)

You big tease. :cool:

It depends on what the actual price point and range is, neither of which they were willing to discuss...

mwalsh said:

mwalsh said:
TimeHorse said:

Hello.. you are supposed to invite the rest of us Socal peeps to these things.

mwalsh said:
TomT said:
It depends on what the actual price point and range is, neither of which they were willing to discuss...

They didn't tell you? They told my group. Like I said....Coda killer! Totally!

I'm pretty sure the Coda is a Coda killer. That car is bufugly.

But I'm jealous that you got to see the Infiniti EV.

I'm also hoping for an EV in an SUV/Minivan formfactor which I believe Nissan hinted at???

When are they announcing anything? When's the next big auto show?

mwalsh said:
cdub said:
When are they announcing anything? When's the next big auto show?

The next big Auto Show or the next BIG Auto Show? The next big Auto Show is the OC Auto Show, the 22nd to the 25th. The next BIG Auto Show is the LA Auto Show in November.

Actually it's in Frankfurt:
http://www.thechargingpoint.com/news/2011-Frankfurt-motor-show-EV-preview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
TomT said:

They didn't tell you? They told my group. Like I said....Coda killer! Totally!

So from that comment, without jeopardizing your NDA at all, I'm thinking slightly larger than a LEAF, half again the battery capacity, 6 kWh charger, very nice inside, and about $43K before incentives. Not asking you to confirm nor deny.

My only question, which shouldn't violate any agreements, did it make you want one badly?

Considering how much you DID pay for your Leaf with 24kWh and a 3.3kW charger, how much extra would you pay for a 6.6kW charger? How much would you pay for 50% more battery (36kWh)?

Personally I'd probably pay another $300-$400 for 6.6kW but probably not much more than $1000 for the extra batteries... Just more weight to carry around and I don't really need more range..

GregH said:
Considering how much you DID pay for your Leaf with 24kWh and a 3.3kW charger, how much extra would you pay for a 6.6kW charger? How much would you pay for 50% more battery (36kWh)?

Personally I'd probably pay another $300-$400 for 6.6kW but probably not much more than $1000 for the extra batteries... Just more weight to carry around and I don't really need more range..
50% more battery may add somewhat less than 50% extra range in a larger profile and heavier car.

TRONZ said:
Has anyone seen actual financials on this??? Nissan has stated many times that they are NOT losing money on the LEAF.

They said profitable once production geared up, and that was before the Dollar tanked against the Yen. Nissan is probably taking a bath on the American sales at this point.

Back