Official Coda Electric Car thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
If they have some on the lot they are about one year ahead of Nissan.
Just saying you cannot just go down to the local dealer and buy a Leaf or even Volt for that matter.

Neither can you do that with Coda. Have you seen any Coda dealerships ? :shock:

Ready2plugin said:
Coda announced there pricing today: $44,900! That would be net $37,400 after the $7,500 tax credit compared to the Leaf at $25,280. Good news for Nissan!

Below is the link to autobloggreen's story:

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/21/2011-coda-electric-sedan-priced-at-44-900/
That's sort of getting up toward the Tesla Model S pricing range with mediocre looks. Feels like a non-starter.

evnow said:
smkettner said:
If they have some on the lot they are about one year ahead of Nissan.
Just saying you cannot just go down to the local dealer and buy a Leaf or even Volt for that matter.

Neither can you do that with Coda. Have you seen any Coda dealerships ? :shock:
Never mind, looks like coda is doing a similar reservation to buy like nissan.

LEAFer said:
Delivery in 60-90 days ! :shock: That's quicker than LEAF ... hope their "dashboard" works better ! :lol:

Let's hope they don't deliver them too quickly, IF people do purchase this car, it might eat up the $5k tax credit fund here in CA. :cry:

Will Volt sales qualify for the 5K as well? Or is it just pure EV's? Sounds like the Coda could do some damage if they start delivering as fast as it sounds? They do have less red tape to deal with so they should be faster to the market!

I'll repeat what statik wrote in his blog ...

So if you are really hot to get your own EV that no one else in the neighborhood will ever own, and are really into bland looks and the prestige of owning a Chinese car with no dealer/service infrastructure, Coda is your hook-up.

garygid said:
Is a car manufacturer required to sell through "dealers", or can they just have completely-controlled "outlets"?
Tesla does it (their own "stores"). Actually Tesla has a problem in Texas (and that's the reason they have not located a store there, despite good demographics and geographic location), where the manufacturer is NOT allowed to sell direct ... or some such rule.

evnow said:
I'll repeat what statik wrote in his blog ...

So if you are really hot to get your own EV that no one else in the neighborhood will ever own, and are really into bland looks and the prestige of owning a Chinese car with no dealer/service infrastructure, Coda is your hook-up.
Oh, that's classic! I especially like, "the prestige of owning a Chinese car". In many markets very inexpensive and inferior Chinese products have driven all other products off the shelves. So now consumers have two choices, Chinese made or go without.

China made isn't necessarily a bad thing (other than the economic impact on the US), so long as the product developer rules the Chinese manufacturer with an iron-first (eg: Apple). It's when the Chinese get to do their own thing, which invariably means cutting corners to cut costs, that things go awry - melamine milk and toxic drywall are good examples.

mwalsh said:
China made isn't necessarily a bad thing (other than the economic impact on the US), so long as the product developer rules the Chinese manufacturer with an iron-first (eg: Apple). It's when the Chinese get to do their own thing, which invariably means cutting corners to cut costs, that things go awry - melamine milk and toxic drywall are good examples.

I don't think ownership has anything to do with it. They will manufacture anything you want for the price you are willing to pay. You pay them less, they will cut corners more. Look at the guys who are importing. They control the quality.

indyflick said:
Interesting read. Coda CEO on electric sedan's $44,900 price: "Price is not the decisive factor in electric cars." I'm not sure if price is the decisive factor or not, all I know is that car costs to much!
Cost was one of the major factors for me. Nissan really seems to have nailed it:

1. LEAF is priced above comparable ICE cars, but (especially with incentives) not 2X or more like the Coda or Tesla. LEAF's price will be a reach for me, but it is one I can realistically make. Coda is a little out of my grasp.
2. The cool factor of the LEAF for a somewhat geeky buyer, but not over-thee-top, which makes Coda seem boring in comparison.
3. Nissan has a long history of manufacturing reliable and safe cars; I'm more comfortable with that for purchasing a car than a start-up company (having personally worked for a few start-ups).

OTOH a LITTLE extra range is not the deciding factor for me; Coda's 20% really doesn't make that much difference. Now if it was 2X or 3X (200 - 300 miles), then it would make a difference, but I would only use this extra range very infrequently, so it still wouldn't work if it moved the price point out of my grasp.

I think Nissan nailed the "early adopter" rollout market that will lead to the future of EVs, whereas Coda is somewhat offbase.

Back