Now using "D", not "eco" for safety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering if the guy's wife was in labor, or if he was just throwing that out as an excuse giving him an extra few seconds to flee the scene?

I hope that MrFish got the guy's license plate number.

keydiver said:
It sounds to me like the guy was traveling well in excess of the speed limit, throwing caution to the wind to get his wife to the hospital, and HE caused the accident, IMO.
MrFish said:
That was until I was actually rear ended and after the guy told me he didn't have time to give me his insurance info because his wife was in labor and he fled the scene.

padamson1 said:
As has been mentioned several times on this thread already, using ECO is no different than downshifting in a stick shift or using 'L' or '2' on an automatic. It is a way to use the engine to slow a vehicle and many consider it safer (than braking) to slow down whilst descending hills, especially in slick conditions. Truckers commonly use it to keep their brake pads from wearing out and I don't hear about them getting rear-ended.
I completely agree with these examples. I have certainly driven in '2' or 'L' on slick, snow covered roads. But I do not do this normally. I think, when in traffic in normal conditions, one should use the brakes when decelerating so the following cars see the brake lights. Doing otherwise during normal conditions is inviting a rear end accident. I feel, when driving the LEAF, that it's better to use "D" and get most of the regen from the brake pedal. Also, if the guy ahead of you does something unanticipated your foot is already on the brake pedal so it's simple just to apply more pressure so the disc brakes kick in.

tps said:
padamson1 said:
As has been mentioned several times on this thread already, using ECO is no different than downshifting in a stick shift or using 'L' or '2' on an automatic. It is a way to use the engine to slow a vehicle and many consider it safer (than braking) to slow down whilst descending hills, especially in slick conditions. Truckers commonly use it to keep their brake pads from wearing out and I don't hear about them getting rear-ended.
I completely agree with these examples. I have certainly driven in '2' or 'L' on slick, snow covered roads. But I do not do this normally. I think, when in traffic in normal conditions, one should use the brakes when decelerating so the following cars see the brake lights. Doing otherwise during normal conditions is inviting a rear end accident. I feel, when driving the LEAF, that it's better to use "D" and get most of the regen from the brake pedal. Also, if the guy ahead of you does something unanticipated your foot is already on the brake pedal so it's simple just to apply more pressure so the disc brakes kick in.

you guys who dont drive stick make me laugh.
I know, the world or, at least, most US drivers just drive only automatic, but it is still funny to think no one remembers how to drive.

As I said above, you need to be aware of what is going on behind you when you slow unexpectedly or sharply.

tps said:
I feel, when driving the LEAF, that it's better to use "D" and get most of the regen from the brake pedal. Also, if the guy ahead of you does something unanticipated your foot is already on the brake pedal so it's simple just to apply more pressure so the disc brakes kick in.
I do like being able to use my brake lights to signal to the car behind me to slow down. But light braking for regen isn't necessarily always safer. You've probably driven behind a car whose brake lights stay on. Either it's a long hill and the driver is using brakes rather than down shifting to maintain speed, or someone is driving with left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas simultaneously. If something unexpected happens ahead of them and they brake hard, there is no signal to the car behind them, because their brake lights have been on all along. I think you just have to use D and ECO and brake as best fits the situation from moment to moment, remaining aware of what's going on ahead of and behind you - being particularly careful if the car behind you is tailgating or if the car ahead of you is tailgating or is riding the brakes.

Leaf Commander:

I like the name - it takes be back to the bygone era of Norton Commander - the original DOS quasi-gui - which I still find uses for, to this very day. I wish Peter Norton would have never sold out to symantec ... but I digress. ;)
I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks!

walterbays said:
tps said:
I feel, when driving the LEAF, that it's better to use "D" and get most of the regen from the brake pedal. Also, if the guy ahead of you does something unanticipated your foot is already on the brake pedal so it's simple just to apply more pressure so the disc brakes kick in.
I do like being able to use my brake lights to signal to the car behind me to slow down. But light braking for regen isn't necessarily always safer.
If you re-read my post, you'll see that I agree with you that there are situations where it is good to get some "engine braking", which in the LEAF translates to ECO. I never said "always"... I agree with ECO on a big hill.

Nubo said:
As a pilot, a "trim wheel" seems like the perfect and most natural solution for dialing in the right amount of regen. Subject to vehicle limitations of course (full battery, etc...).

I prefer a speed brake lever. Don't want to spin a wheel every time.

finished%20quadrant%2010.jpg

Back